Legal Questions Re Entering a Plea

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 16, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs, Athelstone Raggies
I had to attend the Magistrate court this morning for a Disturbing the peace offence. Now this is not the first time i've been to court but i never gave the matter any thought till now.
Prior to my hearing, while waiting outside the court, the court bailiff instructed me to write down my plea "guilty" or "not guilty" by my name. I responded by saying i wanted to hear the exact charge against me till i decided how i would plea.
We had a short back and forth before i complied with his request.
I'd like to know, by entering this plea, am i contracting with the court? Does this plea mean i am giving this court jurisdiction?
Am i legally obliged to write down a plea before i can enter that court? Is there a way which i can comply, but not yet contract with the court? ie without prejudice?
Thanks in advance.

Always put not guilty.
Whatever court you're in, there will be someone available for free legal aid. They will be able to recommenced the best plea.
A lot depends on the charges, and legal aid will be able to find them out for you.

You should be able to give your actual plea to the judge when your case is heard. That is the important one. The bailiff scrap of paper is just how they streamline to get through as many as they can. If you're admitting guilt, they can jut push through to the punishment and move onto the next case.

I had to attend the Magistrate court this morning for a Disturbing the peace offence. Now this is not the first time i've been to court but i never gave the matter any thought till now.
Prior to my hearing, while waiting outside the court, the court bailiff instructed me to write down my plea "guilty" or "not guilty" by my name. I responded by saying i wanted to hear the exact charge against me till i decided how i would plea.
We had a short back and forth before i complied with his request.
I'd like to know, by entering this plea, am i contracting with the court? Does this plea mean i am giving this court jurisdiction?
Am i legally obliged to write down a plea before i can enter that court? Is there a way which i can comply, but not yet contract with the court? ie without prejudice?
Thanks in advance.

Please for the love of God tell me you are not a "Sovereign Citizen"......

Please for the love of God tell me you are not a "Sovereign Citizen"......

It appears you don't know how this works. I ask the question and you give the answer not the other way 'round.
So if you have no useful info then gtfoh.

Last edited:
No, i'm not asking for advice, it's a specific question on filling out a plea on a form that you are asked to enter, ostensibly to speed up the process. I represented myself in court and had the charge thrown out and was awarded costs.
Can you answer the question or are you just being a douche?
What costs were you awarded, given that you represented yourself?

No, i'm not asking for advice, it's a specific question on filling out a plea on a form that you are asked to enter, ostensibly to speed up the process. I represented myself in court and had the charge thrown out and was awarded costs.
Can you answer the question or are you just being a douche?

I would of thought your plea is not official until directly stated in Open Court. The form is more for processing to indicate how you intend to plea so matters can be streamlined. i.e. Less time would be allocated to Guilty pleas as opposed to contested hearings. If in doubt plead Not Guilty.

OK, to replace my moderated/deleted posts on this subject which were apparently not consistent with "the vibe":

nothing in your opening post's questions have any relevance to the operation of law in the UK, USA, canada or australia (or anywhere else for the record). a particularly annoyed justice in canada delivered an amazing judgment utterly destroying the nonsense contained in the OP (i quote now just from wiki but have previously read the entire decision coz it's just that funny).

The bluntly idiotic substance of Mr. Mead’s argument explains the unnecessarily complicated manner in which it was presented. OPCA arguments are never sold to their customers as simple ideas, but instead are byzantine schemes which more closely resemble the plot of a dark fantasy novel than anything else. Latin maxims and powerful sounding language are often used. Documents are often ornamented with many strange marking and seals. Litigants engage in peculiar, ritual‑like in court conduct.

All these features appear necessary for gurus to market OPCA schemes to their often desperate, ill‑informed, mentally disturbed, or legally abusive customers. This is crucial to understand the non-substance of any OPCA concept or strategy. The story and process of a OPCA scheme is not intended to impress or convince the Courts, but rather to impress the guru’s customer.

http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.html

ok, Chief?

I would of thought your plea is not official until directly stated in Open Court. The form is more for processing to indicate how you intend to plea so matters can be streamlined. i.e. Less time would be allocated to Guilty pleas as opposed to contested hearings. If in doubt plead Not Guilty.

not surprising that the OP would 'like' a post that is equally incorrect. there are plenty of situations where you can merely sign on the "guilty" line of a summons and it won't need to be heard in court.

but hey Chief, incorrect replies are OK i suppose :rolleyes:

You should have a brief of evidence served on you which outline the allegations.

Speak to legal aid and seek an adjournment until you get this.

he wasn't asking a serious question. which should have been obvious:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back