Lego Masters

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Thought the best one won. Unbeleivable build and looked awesome.

As for the theme park, take away the moving bits, anyone (with a bit of lego knowledge) could build that I reckon. Looked cool and all but nothing too difficult. Did think they were a chance when kids were voters but the 100 votes from judges would have got the winning build over the line.

Space Ship one was pretty average and clearly were never going to win.

Do you reckon Brickman was loving having another brick nerd, a female brick nerd? ;)

Is there a 2nd season next year? Reckon it could get like Masterchef where each season gets a lot better in their capabilities. Like now in masterchef the dishes they produce to get onto the show are better than anything they did in season 1.

As long as they keep it short (3 weeks) then ill watch again. Anything longer and may have got a bit bored.

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool

As for the theme park, take away the moving bits, anyone (with a bit of lego knowledge) could build that I reckon. Looked cool and all but nothing too difficult. Did think they were a chance when kids were voters but the 100 votes from judges would have got the winning build over the line.

Do you reckon Brickman was loving having another brick nerd, a female brick nerd? ;)

Is there a 2nd season next year? Reckon it could get like Masterchef where each season gets a lot better in their capabilities. Like now in masterchef the dishes they produce to get onto the show are better than anything they did in season 1.

As long as they keep it short (3 weeks) then ill watch again. Anything longer and may have got a bit bored.

Agree with pretty much all of the above

Knowing Channel 9 they'll flog the golden goose until we're all sick of it, extended seasons, kids lego masters etc.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Nine has renewed it for 2020.

Also expect 7 to have My Meccano Rules :moustache:

I was happy to see they chose the Poseidon, loved the creativity & imagination involved.

Thought that the Theme park might've won with all it's colour & movement, would've appealed to the kids voting.

Overall, the series was interesting to watch, liked that it had minimal contrived dramas & villains.
The cast were refreshingly different to other reality shows.

Hoping that next season they're not tempted to go with extra dramas.

They're casting for the next season now.

jackn

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2006
aus
AFL Club
Carlton
I caught the last 2 eps and found them enjoyable. I actually loled when they did the family reunions and it was Hamish's mum. Taking the piss out of other reality shows is a winner for mine.

The poseidon thing was amazing. The theme park was eye catching. Would most likely have received more votes but glad the judges votes were worth more. The young kids king Kong thing was so much better than the space one.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I caught the last 2 eps and found them enjoyable. I actually loled when they did the family reunions and it was Hamish's mum. Taking the piss out of other reality shows is a winner for mine.

The poseidon thing was amazing. The theme park was eye catching. Would most likely have received more votes but glad the judges votes were worth more. The young kids king Kong thing was so much better than the space one.

Common theme in every episode, took the piss out of most reality shows. Even had interviews with Hamish talking crap, pretty funny.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Common theme in every episode, took the piss out of most reality shows. Even had interviews with Hamish talking crap, pretty funny.

Interesting as I think the producers also produce master chef. Would have been great if Hamish broke down when one of the teams was eliminated.

Oct 23, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks Seattle Mariners
I also think the next season should have prizes for as one and third. While it is a competition show, you can tell the whole elimination is crushing for all involved.

milhouse1

All Australian
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Diego Padres
Season 2 started tonight, overall a fun episode, but the teams seemed a bit mis-matched. Looks like there is a pretty clear top 3 or 4 teams, while the rest are just there to make up the numbers. Things might change though!

Dockerjonz

Club Legend
May 27, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Benfica,Canucks
man no offense to the man but gee the pair from qld can use that chin for a lego build and walk it to the judging area- farrk the table

Season 2 started tonight, overall a fun episode, but the teams seemed a bit mis-matched. Looks like there is a pretty clear top 3 or 4 teams, while the rest are just there to make up the numbers. Things might change though!

Yeah, you'd have to wonder how far the 19 year old girls are going to go in the competition. Their build did not look inspired. The ranga husband and wife team also weren't on the same page with each other either. If I recall, Henry and Cade were consistently in the top half of the competition the whole way through, as well as Gerhard and his partner (forgotten his name), so I suspect if you're not getting off to a good start, you're in trouble from the get go.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
This show had clear gender issues last year, with the final 4 last year all-men teams. So with that being the case, it irks me a little bit that they've cast 2 young women and through the editing have made them look completely out of their depth. It doesn't do much to dispel the notion that lego are "boy toys" for girls watching the show. I love this show cos it's such good, wholesome fun - but that's not very wholesome to me.

The typecasting they've done is funny, I don't know names yet but you can see the one guy who has been cast as the new G, they've established that one team as the new Henry and Cade etc

milhouse1

All Australian
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Diego Padres
This show had clear gender issues last year, with the final 4 last year all-men teams. So with that being the case, it irks me a little bit that they've cast 2 young women and through the editing have made them look completely out of their depth. It doesn't do much to dispel the notion that lego are "boy toys" for girls watching the show. I love this show cos it's such good, wholesome fun - but that's not very wholesome to me.

Yeah I agree but also think the show is in a bit of a tricky situation, given that for many years in the past there has been the view that toys like lego are more suited to boys, so it may be harder to find female contestants with as much experience. Last year there was only one all-female pair, with three mixed pairs and four all-male pairs (and as you mention they got eliminated in that exact order!). This year they have included three all-female pairs, which may have been an effort to balance the gender ledger, but if they are including teams that are not up to standard just to fulfil a gender quota that is also detrimental to the show. There was a lot of publicity surrounding the show after the successful first season, and it's hard to imagine the young female team you mention were really among the best 8 to apply. Perhaps they just had a bad day or were let down by the edit. From the first episode it looked like three of the all-male pairs were the clear top 3, so we may get a repeat of last season unfortunately.

Oct 23, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks Seattle Mariners
I recorded it so I could skip through it. That is the best way to watch it. Hamish was fine last season but feel already using the same jokes is getting a bit tired.

I also thought they were lucky with the cast last year. This year there seems to be too many teams who are similar.

I assume the cast and crew get breaks during the day because building Lego for 17 hours straight (effectively) would drive me insane, let alone having to film it for 17 hours.

Sep 7, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Rams, UCLA Bruins
I assume the cast and crew get breaks during the day because building Lego for 17 hours straight (effectively) would drive me insane, let alone having to film it for 17 hours.

I believe they do it over 2 days? Reckon you'd be pretty mentally frazzled after a solid 8 hours of building, let alone 15!

I enjoyed that first episode. Easy to watch with the wife and kids. The "Isle of the eyes" was great and that cave underneath was incredible

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
I think I'll be recording this so I and skip the ads going forward. The tv vs ad time here is unbelievable.

Yeah, you'd have to wonder how far the 19 year old girls are going to go in the competition. Their build did not look inspired.

They were never going to get eliminated first. In fact, I reckon the producers will keep them in as long as possible. Summer appeals to the demographic! 😈

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was thinking the female contestants this year seem more accomplished than those from last year and could do well, but it seems from reading the comments above I may be in a minority.

The teenage girls both have extensive backgrounds in Lego robotics, so I'm interested to see how they go in more technical builds. Then there's Runa (?) who won best in show at Brickvention.

Back