Lego Masters

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I haven't seen him for probably 20 years(He is a Facebook friend) but Andrew was one of my best mates at school. We also played in a band together after school.

Dockerjonz

Club Legend
May 27, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Benfica,Canucks
the pair from Qld should've been eliminated with the beach/shark theme. 2 large characters at the front of the table then having way smaller ones on the water. The only thing that was under the table was half a body and some dangling legs.

I wouldve been spewin if i were the girls and got eliminated with the previously eliminated team- i swear the 2 blokes were wearing the same clothes the previous episode they got eliminated in

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
It bums me out that the episodes get shorter as the numbers get less.

I don't want shorter episodes - as we get to the pointy end of the competition with the very best builders, I want them to show me as much detail as possible.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
So why can't those guys use the golden brick for the elimination to get to Final 3? They are immune, so one team goes, down to 4. Play the brick and one team goes so down to 3. Seems odd.

There was a snippet in the preview tomorrow that suggests tomorrow might be a double elimination?

There was a snippet in the preview tomorrow that suggests tomorrow might be a double elimination?
Seems weird then that they made a fuss about bringing one team back to éven' up the shows. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Brickman shits me.

Crap decision B man, the Gameboy was better

Oath! He was banging on about it being too thick while clearly holding the real gameboy lower to accentuate it when comparing

And last night complaining about the technic - well yeah no s**t you can see it, you took the panel off mate

**** outta here lol

Brickman definitely has his favourites, no doubt about it. It colours his judging. Which is a shame because if you're not a favourite you go home on something minor.

But the builds have been awesome again this season. As the season started with two consistently strong teams, it will finish with two consistently strong teams, I think.

To be honest the girls were lucky to get this far. Jay and Stani were the superior builders but dropped the ball when given an opportunity to reenter the competition.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Brickman definitely has his favourites, no doubt about it. It colours his judging. Which is a shame because if you're not a favourite you go home on something minor.

But the builds have been awesome again this season. As the season started with two consistently strong teams, it will finish with two consistently strong teams, I think.

Not that I really care, its all a bit of fun... but I reckon the system would be better with a bit of tweaking. Having one bloke as the be all and end all of judging isn't great, I know the days of viewer voting are probably gone but 2 experts or a small panel is probably the way to go. They probably figure doing it that way would lose too much of the dynamic/banter between Brickman and Hamish which I'm not so much a fan of as others seem to be, but it does carry the show a fair bit during the building phase.

Also not a massive fan of the elimination system, one off day or average build and you're going home, completely ignoring what you've done up to that point. Not sure how you fix that - maybe some kind of ladder/accumulated points system. Probably too messy/complex for their format.

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The US version had two judges, both of whom are senior designers at Lego. I thought, like the post above, that this might make the judging less dependent on one person's preferences, but in my view I think the local version works better. You never saw any differences of opinion (at least on camera) between the two judges and they didn't have the same interaction with the host and contestants that Brickman does.

That said, last year the final (why on earth do these shows insist on calling it a "finale"??) had a guest Lego judge (Fenella Charity, senior designer, Friends) who was awesome. Would love to see her on again this year. Brickman was totally awestruck around her ;).

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
My favorites all season have been Alex & Jackson, they have been pretty consistent and i knew they wouldnt be eliminated unless they totally ballsed it up. Brickman wasnt going to eliminate one of the best teams on a techincal aspect or something small. Thats why i predicted (at home with the family) the girls would go home before the episode started as they have been the weakest team (and there's was the worst one last night anyway)

Oct 23, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks Seattle Mariners
The girls have been the weakest team for a while and weren't in the top 2 in any build from memory. It was a matter of time unless the other teams stuffed it up.

I thought the girls Star Wars build was pretty good and worth Top 2, but figured it would've been either them or the married team that would have missed the final week.
My issue with Brickman on that one was he marked the guys down on the rebel fighter because it was too high tech, had too much going on and the rebels could not afford a ship like that...meanwhile Rey who can barely pay for a cupcake has some massive flippy ship with all the gadgets on it. Just a bit of consistency old mate.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
My issue with Brickman on that one was he marked the guys down on the rebel fighter because it was too high tech, had too much going on and the rebels could not afford a ship like that...meanwhile Rey who can barely pay for a cupcake has some massive flippy ship with all the gadgets on it. Just a bit of consistency old mate.

Yep, happy to accept he knows his lego but not sure he should be delving into Star Wars lore and factoring that into the judging.

Did lol at his "incorrect mouth" call on Monday night. He spends about 10 minutes banging on about it and they come first anyway :tearsofjoy:

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I think part of the appeal is a reality TV show that isn't centred around encouraging the contestants to be vile to each other. It's more about a bunch of people celebrating something in their life that they enjoy, and getting a bit of fame in the process. In the current crisis a bit of relief is welcome.

Plus the builds have been top drawer so far, and I do enjoy Hamish taking the p**s out of other shows.
Nor manufacturing drama and tears. Definitely been a few times hosts have been emotional but they do their best to keep it under control and keep things moving rather than let the waterworks flow.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion

Rey is flawless though.

Yep, happy to accept he knows his lego but not sure he should be delving into Star Wars lore and factoring that into the judging.

Did lol at his "incorrect mouth" call on Monday night. He spends about 10 minutes banging on about it and they come first anyway :tearsofjoy:
Would he have a set of criteria pre-written? There may be specific criteria that apply when Lego designers are creating new sets?

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Would he have a set of criteria pre-written? There may be specific criteria that apply when Lego designers are creating new sets?

No idea. He sometimes mentions "this could be an official set" or similar but dunno if that factors into the judging, I thought it was more about meeting the individual briefs and the 'story' being told.

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Slightly off topic but I did have a laugh at the US version, where they described what we know as SNOT (studs not on top) as SOTS (studs on the side). Presumably you're allowed to have a dozen gruesome deaths at prime time, but you're not allowed to say "snot".

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He has some specific likes and dislikes which show through occasionally, and I would guess he has enough contacts at Lego to know what would pass muster there. Overall though I guess like all "reality" shows it's the producers who have the biggest say in how the show progresses.

Back