Leicester City - 1 Time Champion of England

Remove this Banner Ad

Well... That was... hmmm...

Liverpool did play extremely well, full credit to them. If anything, that margin could've been even more if not for Kasper (except that last goal, what the heck?)

The one big noticeable thing about that game? The midfield/defensive combo look really, really, uncooperative, and well, really unco as well. This was as bad as the Hull performance, and well, we just saw what happened when a team better than Hull took advantage.

Amartey couldn't back up the performance, and while I did some signs of that Swansea effort, there was a lot more to be desired. A lot more.

The defence were getting the mickey taken out of them, Fuchs way off it, Simpson ineffective. I actually thought Hernandez had a decent game, attacking oppotunities helped and as far as I could see, did decently on his own flank.

Mahrez backed up well, but as usual, doesn't back up well after an international break.

Vardy really should've buried that chance, at least that would've been a game changer if he had done that. At least he got the gimmie.

This performance just highlights the importance of Kante, the unit looks really disjointed. Two in the midfield seems to be very ineffective now.

We've got Brugge up next, and I'm not sure exactly what we're going to get. I'm also starting to wonder if we should promote Chiwell into the team (Hernandez will be our RB) and just work from there.

Should we change formation too?

Personally I thought it didn't make sense for you guys to play with 2 forwards and 2 wingers in Mahrez / Albrighton probably isn't the way to go away from home. Another body in midfield and I believe we would have found it difficult to break you guys down.

That's the thing, that's how we did it last season. It was true and tried. The big difference this time around is simply the lack of Kante and the addition of Amartey, I think he needs to to fully acclimatise his new role, especially to better opposition (he was MOTM vs Swansea). It would have also helped if we weren't so sloppy with our passing, it reminded me a lot of the Hull game where we couldn't spring passes together.

I have my doubts with the current formation now with Kante gone, but while we can do 3-5-2 (and we have been in recent games) I don't know if its something we can do for the full 90 since it's very attacking.

Well... That was... hmmm...

Liverpool did play extremely well, full credit to them. If anything, that margin could've been even more if not for Kasper (except that last goal, what the heck?)

The one big noticeable thing about that game? The midfield/defensive combo look really, really, uncooperative, and well, really unco as well. This was as bad as the Hull performance, and well, we just saw what happened when a team better than Hull took advantage.

Amartey couldn't back up the performance, and while I did some signs of that Swansea effort, there was a lot more to be desired. A lot more.

The defence were getting the mickey taken out of them, Fuchs way off it, Simpson ineffective. I actually thought Hernandez had a decent game, attacking oppotunities helped and as far as I could see, did decently on his own flank.

Mahrez backed up well, but as usual, doesn't back up well after an international break.

Vardy really should've buried that chance, at least that would've been a game changer if he had done that. At least he got the gimmie.

This performance just highlights the importance of Kante, the unit looks really disjointed. Two in the midfield seems to be very ineffective now.

We've got Brugge up next, and I'm not sure exactly what we're going to get. I'm also starting to wonder if we should promote Chiwell into the team (Hernandez will be our RB) and just work from there.

Should we change formation too?
Was absolutely appalling. I honestly don't think we had a 'good' player on the pitch.

The midfield weren't good enough but the defending was deplorable. Huth looked shocking, Simpson kept playing people onside.

Mahrez isn't playing well enough either.

Big game against Brugge and then a must win game against Burnley.

Was absolutely appalling. I honestly don't think we had a 'good' player on the pitch.

The midfield weren't good enough but the defending was deplorable. Huth looked shocking, Simpson kept playing people onside.

Mahrez isn't playing well enough either.

Big game against Brugge and then a must win game against Burnley.

I'd say Kasper was the only one, but that 4th goal, uurgh.

I noticed that, how many times did we get done in by a loose man playing them on. I think our defenders could've prevented that 2nd goal from Kasper's block for a goalline clearance if they tried harder.

We need to treat both games as big. Burnley is certainly a must-win, and Brugges, I would like to think we've still got somewhat of an 'element of surprise' in us, because at least we've got some potency in attack. It's just everything below that needs work.

Slimani should get his debut against Brugges. I think Mendy will be back. I have a feeling that if 4-4-2 doesn't work against Brugges, we might see the return of 3-5-2 against Burnley.

I'd say Kasper was the only one, but that 4th goal, uurgh.

I noticed that, how many times did we get done in by a loose man playing them on. I think our defenders could've prevented that 2nd goal from Kasper's block for a goalline clearance if they tried harder.

We need to treat both games as big. Burnley is certainly a must-win, and Brugges, I would like to think we've still got somewhat of an 'element of surprise' in us, because at least we've got some potency in attack. It's just everything below that needs work.

Slimani should get his debut against Brugges. I think Mendy will be back. I have a feeling that if 4-4-2 doesn't work against Brugges, we might see the return of 3-5-2 against Burnley.
Yeah Kasper was good except for the last. That last one was comical. Kasper at his worst.

I don't think Ranieri would play a 3 defensive system. More likely to see 451 I think. Looking forward to Slimani though, our forwards aren't offering much at the moment.

We really are struggling across the park.

Yeah Kasper was good except for the last. That last one was comical. Kasper at his worst.

I don't think Ranieri would play a 3 defensive system. More likely to see 451 I think. Looking forward to Slimani though, our forwards aren't offering much at the moment.

We really are struggling across the park.

Yeah, usually he gets them right, but that one, I think by that point, he pretty much thought 'bugger it' and tried to pull it off so we could've had a good chance of scoring and playing out a draw. Don't think he would've tried that stunt if the game was only a goal difference.

Okazaki is basically a midfielder, so why not? Lol. But the bodies in midfield could work, just a question of which three. I think King can do it in a three. I get the feeling maybe Mendy is the other one.

While the attack force is just a little off, I think all they need is the delivery. I think Slimani will be good for Vardy. I've got no idea what happened to his finishing (England ruined him), but 7 goals in the last 8 is still a credible record. I just feel like he's a little let down by his midfield. Should've finished off his chance. Slimani will at least give it a go in the shooting department. Musa needs to be more selfish and Okazaki needs to try more shots. I'm not too worried about the strikeforce, its the rest of the lot.

And we've only just began. The next game is at 4:45am Thursday for us, let's just hope they put on a proper show in Belgium.

You know what's worse then playing 120 minutes for a bad loss? Playing Drinky for 120 minutes before a big game like that.

Seriously, what the heck was that squad? It seemed like we went in the middle between 'making a serious crack' and 'giving the 2nd XI a go.' The biggest disappointment far and away for me was the lack of the Bartman at all. This guy is a Polish regular, and for him to not even get on the pitch in a League Cup game, he has every right to be beyond annoyed. If not then, then when?

Wasyl looks done, he used to be able to get away with them, but that's twice that he has cost us the game at critical times. I don't know why Hernandez nor Benny got a go, I mean, Schlupp did, and he looked way off the boil, not match fit by any stretch. Left Chilwell high and dry most times, even cost us a goal (For the record, I think it was good experience for Chilwell, and considering what he had to deal with, he did alright.) Once Wasyl left, we pretty much gave up.

Wasyl and Schlupp were the worst, though King and Musa didn't exactly leave any good impressions either. Musa needs to be putting them away, King missed a sitter. Otherwise decent, but we need more.

I think Wasyl and Benny are done, I don't know what the Bartman needs to do at this point in time (I still have the feeling it would've been Mahrez that came on instead of Amartey had Wasyl kept it clean.). We will be doing some more consolidation for CBs and RBs this January for sure along with Silva.

We've had worse, but it could've gone so much better. I'm very annoyed that we lost this from 2-0 up.

As for the positives, we did outplay Chelsea for the first 40 mins, Okazaki certainly looks like he had a point to prove, Grey did pretty darn well. Simpson and Drinkwater went about their usual business, though I think Drinkwater at least needed a rest.

No matter, hopefully we'll be back on track with United... but first, we shall see how they go tomorrow.

Yeah not sure why Drinky played at all, let alone for 120. Would have preferred Amartey played instead.

Wasyl is definitely done, has been for 18 months. We're definitely a CB light in the squad at the current time.

It's hard to be harsh on King and Musa, without regular football those chances are always going to be a bit more difficult.

Confused as to the Kaputska omission. Is he injured?

I would've liked Amartey or Kaputska (he can play CM) as well. We already know about Drinkwater and King, so now was the chance to try a new combination.

Well, hope Huth and Morgan (man, Morgan just can't seem to function as well without Huth) stays fit and firing up to January, we've got some decent work ahead of us. The biggest one being what we are going to do without our Algerians and Ghanans (thank goodness our Nigerians aren't going anywhere.)

Well, true enough, but I don't know why, I just don't seem to have as much confidence in King these days. I know he has a role to play, and he was alrightish (though he needed to finish that chance). I'd say a lack of game time, but it says a bit when others are overtaking him. Musa will need to find that goal, there's no question about his thereat. I hear the Nigerians wish he was more selfish and decides to take his chances, he seems overly generous.

He was on the bench, but I still have no idea why he didn't start or come on in any capacity. He is a Polish regular that can play multiple positions.

I think Ranieri got his team wrong here, we needed one or the other. If Schlupp needed match fitness, we could've subbed him off at half time and got Kaputska in, at least we could've defended the 2-1 lead.

Yeah agreed.

Morgan looks very average without Huth. Which worries me greatly, I think we really need 2 more CB's before the start of next season.

King is a limited footballer and has watched as we've bought players that are better than him. That's not really here nor there, just how it's occurred. Ironically our success has been detrimental for Kingy.

Agree on Musa as well, he definitely needs to become more selfish. That was evident even in the pre season games.

Yeah I think so as well. I'm not worried we're out of it though, this season we could definitely use less games!

It's a bit funny, because I thought Morgan was the better performing of the two last season, but when paired with someone else, it doesn't work quite as well. I think 2 CBs is right so we can replace both Benny and Wasyl (Wasyl is a big character behind the scenes and certainly plays a big role in the team spirit. I wonder if he has a future as a coach here? Benny on the other hand, I don't get it, he was getting better in his few appearances, and now it seems like he's on his way. Is there something we're missing here?)

Hernandez does have a lot of use, I just feel he needs time to gel with the others, because chemistry is a big part in maintaining a cohesive defensive unit. But yes, we need some younger CBs in and to challenge, not any more old farts.

It's weird, because he seems to lack that attacking edge about him. I felt he always did better as part of a three, our current formation doesn't really do him any favours, then again, neither does the lack of meaningful game time. He does a job and has adapted, but we do need someone that offers more. I felt the same way about some of our players. Matty James looks to be goneski by all accounts. To think he was the better of him and Drinky before the injury. Imagine the James-Drinkwater Partnership now (then again, we wouldn't have Drinky in his current state if not for James getting injured.)

Speaking of attacking players, is it me or do we need to revise our current opinions of our strikers. You know how we thought Ulloa was on the outer. I know Slimani breaks a gut for Algeria, but he's doing everything Okazaki can't. I'm starting to have wonder which one was under the most thereat. Okazaki certainly proved a point that he won't be ousted. I don't know about you, but... I kinda feel that not only do we have the best strike force in the league, but I don't think things could be better at the moment. We could play with all sorts of threats. 2 speedsters, 2 talls, one of each, all of which will bust a gut (if Musa continues to gain in stamina and work rate, we're going to be properly scary with our flexibility.)

Fix the center midfield and defence, and we'll be rockin'. It's time for another big test for Amartey, and I get the feeling perhaps that will be quite the key in determining who wins in the big match this weekend.

I don't know about you, but do you have the slight feeling of that 5-3? It feels like we've been here before.

Well, 0-0 draw to Southampton, and let's be honest, that point was probably better for us than them, because they could've easily taken it all away.

Vardy is just not himself at all. All that intensity is just gone. For the first time, I was hoping that Vardy was the one to be replaced by Okazaki (but why the hell did we bring Ulloa on for Slimani, we basically 'gave up the game' with that.) He and Albrighton were just poor today. Slimani was putting in a lot of fight, but it was clear he needed someone that could press just as much. Funny how the two times we pressed, we won the ball back.

Aside from Drinky (Thank god he has not been called up, he needs a break) and Kasper, the rest of the team were average. What disappoints me was the bench. How is not Musa there at least? I think we need to start considering Musa as Slimani's partner just to fire something in Jamie, because things are being a little too predictable, and that spark seems to have disappeared.

I think Grey needs to actually be starting games over Albrighton, he's offering a lot more, and now would be a good chance.

We seem very laboured in midfield, seemingly unwilling to make the clever positional plays to break down teams, and then deciding to go the hoof.

It seems weird, but the Vardy-Slimani combo only works if we go 3-5-2, and that's something Ranieri has no intention of going to. Which means 4-4-2 is either one that we need to play Okazaki in, or we need to cut one and go 4-5-1 in a three. We need to be more unpredictable in our play, because our usual style has been figured out. You can say that we're back to normal, but there's no reason we can't get others to think of us like that with what we have done.

We should be mid-table, lower top 10, but we'll need to get our act together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still here, but after the massive highs of last season, it's a weird feeling this time around. Pretty clear we probably won't win the League again and the goal now must be to qualify for Europe next year.

Enjoying the CL and can't wait to see how we progress from here.

Also loving the look of Slimani, absolute jet and once he and Vardy get to know each other's game they'll be a lethal combination. Missing Kante, like everyone, as he covered for the fact that we lacked the class of the top teams in the midfield, but we were always going to lose someone.

Got some tough games coming up, pumped to see us play well. Go you mighty Foxes!

Still here, but after the massive highs of last season, it's a weird feeling this time around. Pretty clear we probably won't win the League again and the goal now must be to qualify for Europe next year.

Enjoying the CL and can't wait to see how we progress from here.

Also loving the look of Slimani, absolute jet and once he and Vardy get to know each other's game they'll be a lethal combination. Missing Kante, like everyone, as he covered for the fact that we lacked the class of the top teams in the midfield, but we were always going to lose someone.

Got some tough games coming up, pumped to see us play well. Go you mighty Foxes!

Well, thank goodness! Where the others? Come on guys, how are we all feeling?

Yeah, the interest is in the CL for sure, it just seems like that's where all the effort is. I'm going to laugh so hard if we manage something crazy in the CL, taking our PL lack of interest to new lows. I wouldn't be surprised if we were more likely to qualify for the CL by winning the thing rather then getting 4th place.

I would love that, however the problem is Vardy. His pressing seems very lacking this season. It wouldn't be too bad if we had out pressing all over. There is discussions on whether we should go with a 3 man midfield, which does mean our strike force will be reduced to one if that is the case. I'm just hoping we find out something for our next game, because I'm not too sure what should be done at this point, just hoping everyone's fit and firing after the internationals.

Well, thank goodness! Where the others? Come on guys, how are we all feeling?

Yeah, the interest is in the CL for sure, it just seems like that's where all the effort is. I'm going to laugh so hard if we manage something crazy in the CL, taking our PL lack of interest to new lows. I wouldn't be surprised if we were more likely to qualify for the CL by winning the thing rather then getting 4th place.

I would love that, however the problem is Vardy. His pressing seems very lacking this season. It wouldn't be too bad if we had out pressing all over. There is discussions on whether we should go with a 3 man midfield, which does mean our strike force will be reduced to one if that is the case. I'm just hoping we find out something for our next game, because I'm not too sure what should be done at this point, just hoping everyone's fit and firing after the internationals.
Big game here, going to be very tough. We look horrible in red but hopefully we can snag a point or better.

Well, same old, same old so far on the road.

You know my thoughts, what did you think of our 'performance'?
We were poor, but I'm not sure what message we are sending when we are keeping 2 of our best players on the bench. Are we jus backing ourselves to get a lot of results against the rest of the teams. Either way, losses like we had today can't be good for the confidence of the team.

We were poor, but I'm not sure what message we are sending when we are keeping 2 of our best players on the bench. Are we jus backing ourselves to get a lot of results against the rest of the teams. Either way, losses like we had today can't be good for the confidence of the team.
Ranieri conceded he picked the side due to the European game midweek.

It really does look like we're trying to 'Chelsea' our way through the CL. It's almost as if we're writing off those pre-CL games on the basis of 'We're playing the big boys away, so why bother wasting energy?' I mean, granted, the reality is that when you're playing United and Chelsea on their home turf, you're going to most likely lose.' But I think that attitude goes against everything we did last season. Hell, we did better when we had weaker players in the squad, and at least looked like we had a plan.

I mean, as any fan, you want see the boys give it a fair fight. You wouldn't expect them to win, but at least show us some sort of performance. We haven't had any of that in those three big games. Just sloppy, sloppy work. Let's be honest, we haven't exactly been stellar in the other games too.

I'll admit, I did have a theory about doing well in the league if you do well against the rest of the teams, but our performances have been a far cry from even looking like we can. Soton at home should really be wins if you're serious about Europe. Yes, they're a good side, but so are we (or at least I hope we still are.)

We better put away Copenhagen. I get the idea of doing as well as you can in the CL since it might be our only crack (and at the rate we're going, it certainly will be the case), but at the same time, just make sure we're on target to something decent in the league.

I thought the first half was alright, but yes, I see perfectly well what you mean. With all due respect to Copenhagan, they're not a PL side, and we really should be doing a better job in retaining possession and doing better with our chances. Thank god for Kasper.

I think Andy King had an excellent game, Vardy actually was allowed to play more of his natural game, but it feels like we're missing that little bit extra. Both players took turns in dropping down in playing as the extra man, but I think we need a little more work there. That midfield battle is one we really need to win. Gives our strikers a chance and puts less pressure on the defense.

I wonder if Grey's being disciplined, because I have no idea why we're not playing the kid at all.

Still, 100% without a goal conceded, not bad at all. One more win will guarantee our qualification. But at the same time, we need to improve our performances. It's clear that they give more of an effort in the CL, but that's still not good enough.

I expect us to put in a proper performance against Palace, I want all three, nothing less.

Well at least it wasn't a loss. good rivalry.

Feels weird being in Leicester and not having the ability to watch the games on TV so easily.

My mum was giving me a play by play on Facebook message as BBC final score just doesn't cut it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back