Leicester City - Will They Be Relegated and Should Their Fans Care?

Remove this Banner Ad

Started as an interesting discussion in the FA Cup thread, and given their loss last night to Swansea, I thought it deserved its own thread.

Leicester won the league last year in one of the most remarkable season's and storylines that sport has ever seen. The season before, they were dead and buried in their fight against relegation before somehow pulling off The Great Escape under Nigel Pearson.

This season, they look dead and buried with 13 games to go. Should their supporters care, or is the title win last season enough to tide them over?

And as a SEPARATE point, how concerning are the contracts their players have earned after last season? Do they have relegation clauses for players like Mahrez and Vardy, and after this season would they even be able to offload them?

they could be, and supporters should be very concerned.

there are some super ordinary sides down there, but a couple (hull and swansea) have sacked their underperformers and look more solid.

this isnt leicester having a bad season and floating around 11th/12th. this is a crisis. ranieri should be sacked.

they could be, and supporters should be very concerned.

there are some super ordinary sides down there, but a couple (hull and swansea) have sacked their underperformers and look more solid.

this isnt leicester having a bad season and floating around 11th/12th. this is a crisis. ranieri should be sacked.

Should he though? Incredibly harsh after last season, and lets the tail wag the dog. The players have completely downed tools.

* it. Won the league wouldn't care if that meant relegation. With parachute payments and sellable players there's no reason for them to go down the Blackburn and Leeds path. Think they'll be more like Newcastle who have adjusted well to the championship

**** it. Won the league wouldn't care if that meant relegation. With parachute payments and sellable players there's no reason for them to go down the Blackburn and Leeds path. Think they'll be more like Newcastle who have adjusted well to the championship

How many of their players will escape this season with reputation intact?

Mahrez still gets somewhere for 20-25m

Vardy they'd be able to get 12m offers for.

Same with Drinkwater. But think he'd stay and be a key player in the champ.

Gray will be sold for a profit without doing anything. Spurs and Pool linked for 15m I think.

The guys they've bought like Amartey and Slimani definitely sell for decent fees

Just there alone is enough to build a good championship side

None will be worth as much as last summer but don't think they suddenly all become unsellable

They're on pretty huge wage packets, but suppose they may be saleable elsewhere.

Mahrez still gets somewhere for 20-25m

Vardy they'd be able to get 12m offers for.

Same with Drinkwater. But think he'd stay and be a key player in the champ.

Gray will be sold for a profit without doing anything. Spurs and Pool linked for 15m I think.

The guys they've bought like Amartey and Slimani definitely sell for decent fees

Just there alone is enough to build a good championship side

Agree on Gray, Schmeichel as well, Slimani will get good money.

Musa, Vardy, Mahrez, Drinkwater I wouldn't pay 10m for combined.

They're on pretty huge wage packets, but suppose they may be saleable elsewhere.
They may have to take a hit and pay out some of those excessive wages of see the fee reduce. Vardy is the big worry if his wages are massive can't see anyone wanting to go near him

Agree on Gray, Schmeichel as well, Slimani will get good money.

Musa, Vardy, Mahrez, Drinkwater I wouldn't pay 10m for combined.
Mahrez attitude hasn't been great but the talent from last season is still there. Clubs would be stupid not to sign him.

Wouldn't sell Schmichael. Would be hard to find a good GK once they're back up.

Whilst their seasons have been poor guys like Drinkwater and Vardy can still do a job and would have takers. Musa would be hard to get a good fee for. But wouldn't be the worst thing if he stayed. If someone like Dwight Gayle can go from inept PL player to Championship gun it's proof some of the flops could still be fine if they went down

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good a coach is Ranieri? Outside of last season his coaching record has been bad recently.

True but last season can't be seen as a fluke. 38 games isn't a fluke.

Players performance levels have dropped sharply. Partly that's down to him but players have to shoulder blame too.

How good a coach is Ranieri? Outside of last season his coaching record has been bad recently.
Last season really can't be explained. Seems like it was just an extended purple patch rather than it being the 6-8 games like most avg. sides/players/managers achieve.

It's good for him that he won it but I don't think it changed his ability as a manager. He got a hot streak and had the best CM in the league.

True but last season can't be seen as a fluke. 38 games isn't a fluke.

Players performance levels have dropped sharply. Partly that's down to him but players have to shoulder blame too.
Momentum and Kante played bigger parts in their title win than ranieri. He'd be 3rd on the list of things that got them the title. Well ahead of Mahrez and Vardy who seem to be players who benefited most from the momentum I mentioned.

In all forms of sports, pro and semi-pro, momentum and form plays a massive part in players looking better/worse than they actually are

Momentum and Kante played bigger parts in their title win than ranieri. He'd be 3rd on the list of things that got them the title. Well ahead of Mahrez and Vardy who seem to be players who benefited most from the momentum I mentioned.

In all forms of sports, pro and semi-pro, momentum and form plays a massive part in players looking better/worse than they actually are

I think it's overly simplistic to say Kante and momentum was what got them the title. By December everyone knew Leicester's deal, but Mahrez, Vardy, their defence, and lesser lights all stepped up their game significantly.

Players wages will be cut by 40% if relegated. Most of them deserve 60% as that's how much their wages increased by this season.

Only players that doesn't deserve to be thrown in the firing line is Kasper and Gray. That's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So all your players have relegation clauses? Interesting. Great move by the club.

Last season really can't be explained. Seems like it was just an extended purple patch rather than it being the 6-8 games like most avg. sides/players/managers achieve.

It's good for him that he won it but I don't think it changed his ability as a manager. He got a hot streak and had the best CM in the league.

Last season they had the league and that's that and barely an injury. It was amazing but shows how much easier it is when you ride the momentum with the same blokes every week. I mean look at how much we s**t the bed from losing Matip, Coutinho and Mane for patches, what a difference not having Rose makes for Spurs on weekend.

I think it's overly simplistic to say Kante and momentum was what got them the title. By December everyone knew Leicester's deal, but Mahrez, Vardy, their defence, and lesser lights all stepped up their game significantly.
They played above themselves and rose with the confidence that winning brought them. Now they're not winning and they're playing beneath themselves.

The natural ability of Vardy, Mahrez and the defence is somewhere between the two. It's not good enough to win the title but they did. And it's not bad enough that they should go down but they might.

Do people think they'd bounce straight back up?
Yeah they really should. Let's say they sell 8-10 players at on average 10m each, 80-100m there. Parachute payments, is that 30m? Players wages drop 40% for those they don't sell. No reason they couldn't assemble a very good squad for 60-80m and keep money aside for when they go back up

The relegation wage drop is a great move from the club.

Means a player like Mahrez's (and Vardy too to a lesser extent) value in the transfer market goes up you'd think. For instance he either takes less at his next club which will be attractive to nearly every club out there or he takes a 40% wage cut

Remove this Banner Ad

Back