Leicester City - Will They Be Relegated and Should Their Fans Care?

Remove this Banner Ad

How the f**k Vardy, Mahrez, Huth, Morgan managed to slot straight into the squad again is beyond me.

The side against Derby, while not incredible, did a lot better than what we've done since December.

Frustrating from the back room staff.

Fact: as the half-time whistle goes Ranieri DOES NOT exchange any words with Craig Shakespeare (assistant manager) like they used to. Something is completely wrong and Ranieri could very well be the common denominator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any word on whether ranieri has stopped handing out pizza to the players for a clean sheet?

I'm not comparing Newcastle to other champ clubs. I'm comparing them to Leicester's pulling power if they went down. The same sort of players will say/do the same sort of things in the summer only signing for a big club (in comparison to the rest of the league) like Leicester. 32k seat stadium, financially backed, still a strong squad etc. I dont think they'll have a problem signing PL outcasts & cherry picking (pardon the pun) from the smallest EPL sides

Leicester wouldn't have the same pulling power mate. That's what I'm saying. Newcastle can't be seen as the template given they're a pretty unique club to be in the C'Ship.

Leicester wouldn't have the same pulling power mate. That's what I'm saying. Newcastle can't be seen as the template given they're a pretty unique club to be in the C'Ship.
Agree to disagree. Maybe 10 years ago. But Newcastle Rafa aside aren't an attractive option for top class players. Leicester with money and now PL title to boot match them for prestige. Get a good manager in there and it's more than a level playing field

Agree to disagree. Maybe 10 years ago. But Newcastle Rafa aside aren't an attractive option for top class players. Leicester with money and now PL title to boot match them for prestige. Get a good manager in there and it's more than a level playing field

Diame literally turned down his 'dream' of playing in the PL where he apparently belongs specifically because of Rafa and Newcastle.

Kinda reminds me of us under Mou last season. I would have defended him had he altered tactics, selection and formation in an attempt to reverse our poor form but, like Ranieri, he continued with the same everything and expected everything to magically get better which is just inexcusable.

Kinda reminds me of us under Mou last season. I would have defended him had he altered tactics, selection and formation in an attempt to reverse our poor form but, like Ranieri, he continued with the same everything and expected everything to magically get better which is just inexcusable.

Hasn't Ranieri made a s**t ton of changes this season and that's actually what's attracted the most criticism?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a heck of a lot of trouble. The fans will always have last season, but surely it would have to be a massive downer to back up an incredible title winning season with such a titanic collapse. Everyone knew it would be tough for them to even get near top 4 this season with the big clubs lifting their game after a poor 2015-16 but you wouldn't have expected them to be right at the bottom like this.

Raineri clearly is being stubborn and hoping they can rediscover some of that form that won them the league last year, not sure he's totally to blame though. Leicester last year had the advantage of focusing on the league, they took many teams by surprise and the belief once they got deeper into the season was huge. This year from the get go it was obvious opponents were much better prepared and let's be honest the players are probably still getting over the title celebrations. These are players that have been on lower level teams all their careers. They're not like a typical title winning team. Those teams know how to constantly be successful at the highest level, Leicester doesn't.

I think you have to live and die with Raineri still. Despite this season, he'll go down as a club legend and should be given a chance at another season, despite the outcome of this season. Like I said, he has been stubborn, but watching Leicester, it has been clear all year the players have a totally different mentality out there on the pitch. That probably has something to do with Raineri, but these are grown men, they should be able to get themselves prepared for games.

I said it several weeks ago to SM that Ranieri needs to be sacked. Yes he did something amazing last season but any other manager would have been sacked weeks ago the same circumstances.

A new manager right now could actually save the side from relegation.

Also any actual evidence on the players having relegation clauses besides two Leicester fans saying it's the case?

I'd be very surprised that the players who signed new deals instead of leaving for bigger money would agree to such deals.

Diame literally turned down his 'dream' of playing in the PL where he apparently belongs specifically because of Rafa and Newcastle.
IMO that could have been a more long term decision, ie: he thought Hull would go straight back down next season and that Newcastle would come straight back up (which to be fair both look likely at the moment), and have a longer stint in the PL. Given the shambles that Hull were in before the season started having only 13 or so players in their squad you can hardly blame him. A decision like that is for a 3+ year contract, he probably thought he had a better chance of playing PL football for the majority of it with Newcastle rather than Hull.

re: Leicester, there are many reasons why they are in the slump they currently are imo, cant blame it on Kante or Ranieri specifically.

- Ranieri's tactics have been worked out
- Kante leaving and his replacements not stepping up
- Mahrez and Vardy not having the worldie seasons they did
- The rest of the team not playing out of their skin
- Central defenders are both a year older and slower (32 and 33), combined with more teams player the counter attack system and pace being important
- Tougher fixtures, including UCL, longer FA Cup run and a more intense pre-season
- Few injuries and AFCON (they had an amazing run with injuries last year)
- Complacency after winning the title and players getting a pay rise
- Rest of the league lifting their game compared to last season, particularly the top 8.

IMO that could have been a more long term decision, ie: he thought Hull would go straight back down next season and that Newcastle would come straight back up (which to be fair both look likely at the moment), and have a longer stint in the PL. Given the shambles that Hull were in before the season started having only 13 or so players in their squad you can hardly blame him. A decision like that is for a 3+ year contract, he probably thought he had a better chance of playing PL football for the majority of it with Newcastle rather than Hull.

re: Leicester, there are many reasons why they are in the slump they currently are imo, cant blame it on Kante or Ranieri specifically.

- Ranieri's tactics have been worked out
- Kante leaving and his replacements not stepping up
- Mahrez and Vardy not having the worldie seasons they did
- The rest of the team not playing out of their skin
- Central defenders are both a year older and slower (32 and 33), combined with more teams player the counter attack system and pace being important
- Tougher fixtures, including UCL, longer FA Cup run and a more intense pre-season
- Few injuries and AFCON (they had an amazing run with injuries last year)
- Complacency after winning the title and players getting a pay rise
- Rest of the league lifting their game compared to last season, particularly the top 8.

A month ago I'd have given you that point.

My point about Newcastle was that players who thought they belonged in the PL - Gayle and Diame both had insinuated as much with previous comments/actions - were happy to sign for Rafa. Palace had sniffed around Diame previously and he likely could have ended up moving there, but they saw the project at Toon, and the quality of the club, as huge selling points, along with the high calibre manager. This all started off with a simple comment that Newcastle should be the blueprint for all relegated sides, but they threw a lot of money at getting back up and plenty have tried that and failed.

A month ago I'd have given you that point.

My point about Newcastle was that players who thought they belonged in the PL - Gayle and Diame both had insinuated as much with previous comments/actions - were happy to sign for Rafa. Palace had sniffed around Diame previously and he likely could have ended up moving there, but they saw the project at Toon, and the quality of the club, as huge selling points, along with the high calibre manager. This all started off with a simple comment that Newcastle should be the blueprint for all relegated sides, but they threw a lot of money at getting back up and plenty have tried that and failed.
Should Leicester be relegated I think players will look at a team that won the title 2 years ago and think the same as when they look at Newcastle, particularly if they can manage to hang on to some of their better players. Ranieri is a pretty top manager to be working under (although admittedly not of the same ilk as Benitez) and I think any player signing for them would be confident of returning to the PL the following season.

Also when you talk about Newcastle "throwing money at getting back up", they actually had a net transfer spend of about -£30 million in the summer after selling off their star players for big money and replacing them with £5-10 million pound signings that have been very successful. Personally I think that's a pretty good blueprint for how to operate a relegated club trying to regain promotion, compared to the likes of Villa who spent poorly and beyond their means and it hasn't worked for them.

Should Leicester be relegated I think players will look at a team that won the title 2 years ago and think the same as when they look at Newcastle, particularly if they can manage to hang on to some of their better players. Ranieri is a pretty top manager to be working under (although admittedly not of the same ilk as Benitez) and I think any player signing for them would be confident of returning to the PL the following season.

Also when you talk about Newcastle "throwing money at getting back up", they actually had a net transfer spend of about -£30 million in the summer after selling off their star players for big money and replacing them with £5-10 million pound signings that have been very successful. Personally I think that's a pretty good blueprint for how to operate a relegated club trying to regain promotion, compared to the likes of Villa who spent poorly and beyond their means and it hasn't worked for them.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that, Newcastle's stadium, general infrastructure, manager, and prestige are all significantly greater than Leicester's, even taking into account the title win by Leicester. If you consider players being happy to come because of the title, why were the highlights of their summer the signings of Musa and Slimani, rather than 'bigger' players? I think players are skeptical that Leicester actually could back it up/become a 'big' club, and those skepticisms have been realised.

I understand that, but if we're talking them as a template in terms of the calibre they bought, that's another point in favour of Newcastle being a one off, as they had a certain calibre of players who could attract big fees. For instance, if Sunderland go down, who do they have that they could sell off and attract big fees? Even their star striker wouldn't get more than 10m due to his age. Newcastle had young players in their prime who big clubs rated.

Villa sold players, bought young hungry Championship players, but simply appointed the wrong manager. That's literally the only difference between their approaches.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that, Newcastle's stadium, general infrastructure, manager, and prestige are all significantly greater than Leicester's, even taking into account the title win by Leicester. If you consider players being happy to come because of the title, why were the highlights of their summer the signings of Musa and Slimani, rather than 'bigger' players? I think players are skeptical that Leicester actually could back it up/become a 'big' club, and those skepticisms have been realised.
Huh? I'm talking about Leicester attracting mid-level players to sign for them if they were relegated in the same way Newcastle have (such as Diame, Gayle etc) not world class players. No one is saying that Leicester are now a club that world class player strive to play for, just that they will have a similar pulling power to Newcastle should they get relegated next season.

I understand that, but if we're talking them as a template in terms of the calibre they bought, that's another point in favour of Newcastle being a one off, as they had a certain calibre of players who could attract big fees. For instance, if Sunderland go down, who do they have that they could sell off and attract big fees? Even their star striker wouldn't get more than 10m due to his age. Newcastle had young players in their prime who big clubs rated.
Isn't this discussion about Newcastle being the template for what Leicester could do if they were relegated? Don't think Sunderland are relevant here.

Leicester can absolutely follow the Newcastle template if they get relegated. The likes of Mahrez, Grey, Slimani will all command fees in the region of 20+ million and they can use they to pick off some of the better championship players and mid-level PL outcasts to fuel their promotion bid next season without spending beyond their means.

Huh? I'm talking about Leicester attracting mid-level players to sign for them if they were relegated in the same way Newcastle have (such as Diame, Gayle etc) not world class players. No one is saying that Leicester are now a club that world class player strive to play for, just that they will have a similar pulling power to Newcastle should they get relegated next season.

I know, I'm pointing out that players clearly don't feel any particular attraction to go to the club just because they're Champions of England, so I'm not sure they will next season given how meekly they're (likely) to go down. I was comparing last summer's attempts to attract WC players to next season potentially trying to draw in top notch Championship players. They'll likely have a new manager as well, so a lot will depend on who that is.

Isn't this discussion about Newcastle being the template for what Leicester could do if they were relegated? Don't think Sunderland are relevant here.

Leicester can absolutely follow the Newcastle template if they get relegated. The likes of Mahrez, Grey, Slimani will all command fees in the region of 20+ million and they can use they to pick off some of the better championship players and mid-level PL outcasts to fuel their promotion bid next season without spending beyond their means.

No Jd said Newcastle would be the template for ANY relegated club.

I'm not comparing Newcastle to other champ clubs. I'm comparing them to Leicester's pulling power if they went down. The same sort of players will say/do the same sort of things in the summer only signing for a big club (in comparison to the rest of the league) like Leicester. 32k seat stadium, financially backed, still a strong squad etc. I dont think they'll have a problem signing PL outcasts & cherry picking (pardon the pun) from the smallest EPL sides
?????

I know, I'm pointing out that players clearly don't feel any particular attraction to go to the club just because they're Champions of England, so I'm not sure they will next season given how meekly they're (likely) to go down. I was comparing last summer's attempts to attract WC players to next season potentially trying to draw in top notch Championship players. They'll likely have a new manager as well, so a lot will depend on who that is.

Not any club. Just the surprising clubs that fall into the too good to go down category.

Wouldn't apply to a Bournemouth or Swansea. I'm talking your big shock relegation like your Newcastle's & Aston Villa's which Leicester would be.

Not any club. Just the surprising clubs that fall into the too good to go down category.

Wouldn't apply to a Bournemouth or Swansea. I'm talking your big shock relegation like your Newcastle's & Aston Villa's which Leicester would be.

Leicester are not one of those surprising clubs. They're in the exact same pot as a Swansea, they just happen to have had a purple patch year last year.

You mention Villa and yet they've followed Toon's blueprint and failed??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back