Leigh Fisher umpiring Saint Kilda/Fremantle Games

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
Would any other fan feel uncomfortable if an ex-player for your team began umpiring games involving your team? Further to this, does anyone else feel uncomfortable about a former Saint Kilda player (and Ross Lyon coached player) umpiring Saint Kilda or Fremantle games?

He's an ex Saint Kilda player who was de-listed under Lyon, so I struggle to see how he can remain impartial to umpiring games involving either side - and he's now umpiring our game on the weekend - and I think he has umpired games where we have played against St. Kilda, which seems like a massive conflict of interest

Given how few umpires there are coming through the ranks, I'm all for ex-players becoming umpires, because they know the game and how it's player (for the most part), but just feel it's odd an ex-player can umpire games involving teams he has previously played for (or to a lesser extent coaches he has played under)

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Would any other fan feel uncomfortable if an ex-player for your team began umpiring games involving your team? Further to this, does anyone else feel uncomfortable about a former Saint Kilda player (and Ross Lyon coached player) umpiring Saint Kilda or Fremantle games?

He's an ex Saint Kilda player who was de-listed under Lyon, so I struggle to see how he can remain impartial to umpiring games involving either side - and he's now umpiring our game on the weekend - and I think he has umpired games where we have played against St. Kilda, which seems like a massive conflict of interest

Given how few umpires there are coming through the ranks, I'm all for ex-players becoming umpires, because they know the game and how it's player (for the most part), but just feel it's odd an ex-player can umpire games involving teams he has previously played for (or to a lesser extent coaches he has played under)

Could not give a stuff
The media and big footy would be all over him if he turned a game in their favour and he would be done.

Sep 7, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks

He goes above and well beyond to remain impartial. He'll give you a charmed run don't worry. He shouldn't be assigned St Kilda games. I'll be staggered if we get anywhere near a FF/FA break even today.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
It's St Kilda not Saint Kilda and do you really think Leigh Fisher would favour a club that delisted him? He wouldn't be mates with any of the current players either as none of them were playing when he was still on our list.

Fisher once umpired a game where he gave St kilda 14 free kicks and Fremantle 0

Which game was that? I can't recall Fisher every favouring us in any of our games, if anything he treats us more harshly to try and prove he's impartial.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
It's St Kilda not Saint Kilda and do you really think Leigh Fisher would favour a club that delisted him? He wouldn't be mates with any of the current players either as none of them were playing when he was still on our list.

Which game was that? I can't recall Fisher every favouring us in any of our games, if anything he treats us more harshly to try and prove he's impartial.
Its ironic you moan about umpiring decisions. But you never complained about that 2017 freo vs saints game when Margetts gave you a dodgy 50m penalty late in the 4th quarter that helped gave you the win...... fancy that.

If fischer gets you over the line, don't ever bitch or moan about umpires again.

I put $100 on the saints on Tuesday. I am probably going to throw another $100 because of margetts and fischer are umpiring today.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Its ironic you moan about umpiring decisions. But you never complained about that 2017 freo vs saints game when Margetts gave you a dodgy 50m penalty late in the 4th quarter that helped gave you the win...... fancy that.

If fischer gets you over the line, don't ever bitch or moan about umpires again.

I put $100 on the saints on Tuesday. I am probably going to throw another $100 because of margetts and fischer are umpiring today.

We only got one more free kick than Freo in that game back in 2017, don't think you can blame that loss on the umpires.

The guy has been retired for over 10 years and believe me has never given us a good run.
You don’t honestly believe that every ump doesn’t have a team they barrack for? I doubt he even barracks for us anyway.

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Been a well-umpired game so far in my opinion.

Fans will whinge but that's because a) a majority don't actually know the rules that well b) they are actually legitimately bias, unlike the umpires and c) they don't understand the difficulties in picking out frees in a pack when the umps don't have the benefit of 7 angles in slow-mo.

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
d2dff4eb3f7df86945beccb2dddc5b42d9643557

He looks disappointed AF tbf. Can read his mind; "another sixty seconds, geez" he's thinking

In all seriousness, the game was about standard level umpiring, few dodgy ones either way and they let a lot go which was good

Doc Hattori

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2008
Taylors Lakes
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

You're actually stupid enough to think he would jepordise a career where he could earn hundreds of thousands of $ (if not millions) because he hasn't moved on from something that happened many years ago ?

megatiger

Cancelled
Mar 9, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Never liked the idea of former players being umpires starting with Jordan bannister, any other former players been or are umpires that I'm not aware of?

caspian

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Surely it's easy to move umpires around such that there's no conflict of interest, ie if you were ex fremantle you never umpire a freo game, if you had a infamous clash with Richmond players from your playing days you'd never umpire Richmond, etc. Plenty of other games every week.

That said I thought stk v freo was umpired well enough from a neutral POV

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Surely it's easy to move umpires around such that there's no conflict of interest, ie if you were ex fremantle you never umpire a freo game, if you had a infamous clash with Richmond players from your playing days you'd never umpire Richmond, etc. Plenty of other games every week.

How is it any more 'conflict of interest' than someone who is a die hard fan of a team? Why would Leigh Fisher be compromising games because he played for St Kilda last 11 years ago and was last listed by them 9 years ago?

Plus it's not like you can only be mates with guys from your team. He was drafted from the same TAC club the same year as Jobe Watson, and drafted to the same club the same year as Brendan Goddard. Presumably they know each other quite well. So when Goddard and Watson were playing we now rule him out from Freo (Lyon coaching), St Kilda (his former club), Essendon (close relationship with their captain). What degree of relationship is needed to call it compromised?

Never liked the idea of former players being umpires starting with Jordan bannister, any other former players been or are umpires that I'm not aware of?

If you're not sure if there's any more potentially that's an indicator it's not an issue.

caspian

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
How is it any more 'conflict of interest' than someone who is a die hard fan of a team? Why would Leigh Fisher be compromising games because he played for St Kilda last 11 years ago and was last listed by them 9 years ago?

Plus it's not like you can only be mates with guys from your team. He was drafted from the same TAC club the same year as Jobe Watson, and drafted to the same club the same year as Brendan Goddard. Presumably they know each other quite well. So when Goddard and Watson were playing we now rule him out from Freo (Lyon coaching), St Kilda (his former club), Essendon (close relationship with their captain). What degree of relationship is needed to call it compromised?

If you're not sure if there's any more potentially that's an indicator it's not an issue.
Yeah fair enough. I mean, if you're an elite umpire and you want to umpire GFs etc then I think you'll be doing your absolute best to be non biased anyway.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
We only got one more free kick than Freo in that game back in 2017, don't think you can blame that loss on the umpires.
The guy has been retired for over 10 years and believe me has never given us a good run.
You don’t honestly believe that every ump doesn’t have a team they barrack for? I doubt he even barracks for us anyway.
Been a well-umpired game so far in my opinion.

Fans will whinge but that's because a) a majority don't actually know the rules that well b) they are actually legitimately bias, unlike the umpires and c) they don't understand the difficulties in picking out frees in a pack when the umps don't have the benefit of 7 angles in slow-mo.

If anything all umpires should be former players
Yes, Yes, Yes. The umpires don’t understand how hard the game is, highlighted by Jack Lonie’s free
To win the game. Not complaining though for us 4 points.

Just had to post this......

https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2016/7/wb-v-adel

this was a 2016 game between the dogs and crows.

the Free kick count was 28-13 the dogs way.

But 2 things were drilled into my brain.

By 3 quarter time the free kick count was 20-5 dogs way.

Troy Pannell gave 18 free kicks it the 1st 3 quarters. 17 to the dogs,1 to the crows

Last edited:

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
load of shyte and you know it

how would you feel if priddes was umpiring an eagles freo match? don't bull shyte your response

Why would i give a *? If he does the training to become an AFL umpire then conspiracy nut jobs like you bother me more than prospect of cheating.

In one day cricket Australians can umpire Australian games.

Former players have a much better feel for how a game is played

Back