Leigh Fisher umpiring Saint Kilda/Fremantle Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Just had to post this......

https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2016/7/wb-v-adel

this was a 2016 game between the dogs and crows.

the Free kick count was 28-13 the dogs way.

But 2 things were drilled into my brain.

By 3 quarter time the free kick count was 20-5 dogs way.

Troy Pannell gave 18 free kicks it the 1st 3 quarters. 17 to the dogs,1 to the crows
Not seeing how this is relevant to Leigh Fisher and his supposed bias towards the Saints.
FWIW, I cringe when I see he's umpiring Saints games as the opposition always get the best of it. Have not experienced one game where Saints on good side of fee kick ledger with him.

I'm all in favour of umpolires not being allowed to umpire the teams they support or played for

Not seeing how this is relevant to Leigh Fisher and his supposed bias towards the Saints.
FWIW, I cringe when I see he's umpiring Saints games as the opposition always get the best of it. Have not experienced one game where Saints on good side of fee kick ledger with him.

I'm all in favour of umpolires not being allowed to umpire the teams they support or played for
Nothing to do with Leigh Fischer.

But that game for some reason I remember that was remarkably one sided

Margett’s has been removed from Eagles games. There was an article last year.
Be interested in the free kick count for Eagles home games this year and since he’s not been umpiring their games.

He can remain impartial because he's a professional (albeit a part-time one) and because his performance will be reviewed frame by frame during and after the game and it'd be the end of his career if he decided to use this game to get revenge on Ross Lyon.

This.

I've umpired (not footy) my mates before. If you are concentrating on doing your job and watching what happens and not interpreting too much it's not too hard to be impartial.

Never liked the idea of former players being umpires starting with Jordan bannister, any other former players been or are umpires that I'm not aware of?
Former Richmond player David Rohan is a goal ump

Margett’s has been removed from Eagles games. There was an article last year.
Be interested in the free kick count for Eagles home games this year and since he’s not been umpiring their games.

loosen the tin foil hat

loosen the tin foil hat

Found the article.
Dated August 1st 2018.
Don’t know how to do link thingy, so feel free to look up ‘unofficial ban lifted as WA umpires return to Perth for Western Derby’

Points out Margett’s and a couple of others.

Mentions investigation.

Mentions how the free kick tallies altered greatly after WA umpires removed for Eagles games.

Eagles free kick differential massively reduced. Freo on the other hand improved.

Interesting isn’t it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leigh Fisher umpiring Saint Kilda/Fremantle Games

Would any other fan feel uncomfortable if an ex-player for your team began umpiring games involving your team? Further to this, does anyone else feel uncomfortable about a former Saint Kilda player (and Ross Lyon coached player) umpiring Saint Kilda or Fremantle games?

He's an ex Saint Kilda player who was de-listed under Lyon, so I struggle to see how he can remain impartial to umpiring games involving either side - and he's now umpiring our game on the weekend - and I think he has umpired games where we have played against St. Kilda, which seems like a massive conflict of interest

Given how few umpires there are coming through the ranks, I'm all for ex-players becoming umpires, because they know the game and how it's player (for the most part), but just feel it's odd an ex-player can umpire games involving teams he has previously played for (or to a lesser extent coaches he has played under)

St Kilda

Last edited:
There is zero evidence to suggest any bias at all.

Do players that grew up supporting X club but then end up playing for Y club throw games when playing against X club?

Do players that move clubs throw games when they play their old club?

No, because they're professionals.

..and it's St Kilda.

We only got one more free kick than Freo in that game back in 2017, don't think you can blame that loss on the umpires.
today vs the blues,

Saints lead the free kicks 20-7.

Won the free kick count 31-23.

Yep saints struggled to beat the blues and would of lost without the umpires, especially with former St Kilda legend leigh fisher

There is zero evidence to suggest any bias at all.

Do players that grew up supporting X club but then end up playing for Y club throw games when playing against X club?

Do players that move clubs throw games when they play their old club?

No, because they're professionals.

..and it's St Kilda.
Saints vs Blues game proved it

Let me get this right.
An Umpire who played 55 games for a club who he has had no affiliation with for 11 years, was delisted early in his career by Ross Lyon, was shopped around as trade bait or requested a trade for three years straight, has one ex teammate at the club still in Geary (The player who pushed him out of the side) cheated?
Is that what we are saying?
Proof?
Not just a tweet from a pumpkin, some actual proof please?

Why would i give a ****? If he does the training to become an AFL umpire then conspiracy nut jobs like you bother me more than prospect of cheating.

In one day cricket Australians can umpire Australian games.

Former players have a much better feel for how a game is played
But would never hold any bias toward the team they once played for ...you are some kind of dellusional

But would never hold any bias toward the team they once played for ...you are some kind of dellusional

He's done a good job of hiding that bias in other games of ours that he's umpired, if anything he has favoured our opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back