Leigh Matthews 1976 Peter Crimmins B&F trophy, 81& 83 runner up trophies too

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
0B395206-329C-47EB-8E51-F98124088F7B.jpeg Now I understand golden boy selling his grand final runner up medal to raise some capital for lawyers fees but this i dont get.

The Peter Crimmins trophy for best and fairest at hawthorn in 1976 won by Leigh Matthews is being auctioned, I cannot believe he would have parted with this. Did he donate it to a charity at some stage to raise money???? Does anybody have any idea??
This was the year Hawthorn beat North to win the grand final by 5 goals, later that night they went back to Crimmins house where the historic photo was taken with him in bed. A rather significant year for Leigh.
It is being auctioned at Leonard Joels on the 13/12/18 with an estimate of 5-7K

https://auctions.leonardjoel.com.au/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=LJ8276+++111+&refno=40546901&saletype=

Strange one. Guess he doesn’t really value it. I know a bloke who won tons of trophies and medals as a local footballer, they’re all stuffed away in boxes somewhere, he just doesn’t care. Others have them up on their walls etc.

I'm in the same boat. I have a box full of trophies stashed away in the garage somewhere that I never look at. Fun to win at the time, but no use to me now. The thing is, Leigh Matthews will always be the 1976 B&F, whether he has the trophy or not. Leigh has never struck me as the kind of person who would splash his trophies all over the place where people could see them.

To be honest I lost a huge amount of respect for Leigh this year when I found out he would not even take the calls of the man he king hit, and he would not apologise to his face either. Very cowardly and shows a lack of any sort of remorse.

Perhaps you don't know the full story.

The actions of the person he hit after the event ruined Leigh's enjoyment of life for a time. He was unfairly singled out and pursued in the courts. Until there is a true account of both sides, why would he apologise? I wouldn't.

Imagine if Leigh prosecuted all the people who hit him, or other footballers did the same: the cases would still be running today.

To be honest I lost a huge amount of respect for Leigh this year when I found out he would not even take the calls of the man he king hit, and he would not apologise to his face either. Very cowardly and shows a lack of any sort of remorse.
He seems like an absolute case.

I mean he hit the bloke. It was a different era of footy and those things were applauded and encouraged, and plenty of people still even respect it now, but the fact he straight up refuses to apologise is just plain old weird. Like, why not? It doesn't matter.

Leigh Matthews also refused to hang around the club too apparently; when training would rap up, he'd jump in his car and head home. I don't even think he had a girlfriend or family at the time either. While all the other Hawks boys had a few beers and a meal, he'd just get straight out of there.

I think it's okay to sell these trophies if you're low on cash – plenty of people didn't make money despite being world-beaters in the 70s – but this guy was a premiership coach in the professional era, probably makes close to half a mil on Channel 7, and then some. The fact this is the most iconic Hawthorn best and fairest trophy of all time is hugely offensive... if you don't see the need, donate it to Hawthorn Football Club or give all the proceeds to a cancer charity.

The issue people have is not that he's selling it, but that it's such a hugely iconic photo and story. How many club best and fairests are actually properly remembered and celebrated? This is the one.

He just seems like a complete a-hole, no matter how tough and good he was as a footballer and coach.

I mean he hit the bloke. It was a different era of footy and those things were applauded and encouraged, and plenty of people still even respect it now, but the fact he straight up refuses to apologise is just plain old weird. Like, why not? It doesn't matter.

Leigh Matthews also refused to hang around the club too apparently; when training would rap up, he'd jump in his car and head home. I don't even think he had a girlfriend or family at the time either. While all the other Hawks boys had a few beers and a meal, he'd just get straight out of there.

I think it's okay to sell these trophies if you're low on cash – plenty of people didn't make money despite being world-beaters in the 70s – but this guy was a premiership coach in the professional era, probably makes close to half a mil on Channel 7, and then some. The fact this is the most iconic Hawthorn best and fairest trophy of all time is hugely offensive... if you don't see the need, donate it to Hawthorn Football Club or give all the proceeds to a cancer charity.

The issue people have is not that he's selling it, but that it's such a hugely iconic photo and story. How many club best and fairests are actually properly remembered and celebrated? This is the one.

He just seems like a complete a-hole, no matter how tough and good he was as a footballer and coach.

Mate, a lot of misinformation in your post.

Leigh was dragged through the courts and the newspapers... because the GFC and the player chose to pursue charges. It was a double standard. It ruined his life at the time. He had to apologise in court. Why should he have to run to the person that ruined that part of his life and say sorry?

Leigh was married at age 18 with children.

And my dad had beers with Leigh at the Hawthorn Social club after a losing grand final, while he had two black eyes. My dad was just a supporter.. there was no official function.

You don't have to be much of a man to king hit someone, but it takes a man to apologize.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Clarkson has ever apologized to Aitken either (happy to stand corrected there though).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't have to be much of a man to king hit someone, but it takes a man to apologize.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Clarkson has ever apologized to Aitken either (happy to stand corrected there though).

A fight had broken out. Clarkson was the third man in.

What about the player who king hit Clarkson from behind immediately after? The 4th man? Does he have to apologise too?

A fight had broken out. Clarkson was the third man in.

What about the player who king hit Clarkson from behind immediately after? The 4th man? Does he have to apologise too?
Oh, that makes it okay then.

Oh, that makes it okay then.

Make what okay?

Carlton breaking Clarkson's jaw with a punch from behind? Does that need a sit down.. and a peace pipe?

Same with Leigh.. he got his nose bloodied and broken from a punch. But Leigh was taken to court by Geelong and had to apologise before a judge and got his football license suspended... it ruined his life.

All these people calling for apologies.... mostly journalists..... It is so selective.

Wow, almost every word in this post is wrong.

Do people just make things up to suit whatever position they want to take?

Make what okay?

Carlton breaking Clarkson's jaw with a punch from behind? Does that need a sit down.. and a peace pipe?

Same with Leigh.. he got his nose bloodied and broken from a punch. But Leigh was taken to court by Geelong and had to apologise before a judge and got his football license suspended... it ruined his life.

All these people calling for apologies.... mostly journalists..... It is so selective.
Poor Hawthorn identities who king hit opponents.

They are so misunderstood.

Poor Hawthorn identities who king hit opponents.

They are so misunderstood.

See, you are not really talking about the history of footy fights are you, and how they should be best understood.

It is very easy to point to a bloke and insult him for footy fights in the old days. Like Rhys Jones.

It is not that simple.

See, you are not really talking about the history of footy fights are you, and how they should be best understood.

It is very easy to point to a bloke and insult him for footy fights in the old days. Like Rhys Jones.

It is not that simple.
Actually, I only made the point that if you king hit someone, you should be man enough to apologize for it. And I wasn't even talking to you when I made that point, I was quoting another poster.

You're the one who butted your nose in and turned it into an argument, so I'm not the problem here.

Actually, I only made the point that if you king hit someone, you should be man enough to apologize for it. And I wasn't even talking to you when I made that point, I was quoting another poster.

You're the one who butted your nose in and turned it into an argument, so I'm not the problem here.

Butted my nose in...Really?

Re Mathews.....this year a journalist was trying to write a story about the incident and to get Leigh on board. I don't blame Leigh for having mixed feelings about being singled out in that era, taken to court and prosecuted. As he said, he had already apologised in court and he wants the incident put behind him. I think he would still be furious that he is the only player in history to be singled out and prosecuted and it only happened because Bruns pushed it to court.

And i totally disagree with picking out incidents from that time, like Clarkson, Williams or Danniher. It is not that two wrongs make a right. It is that people were hit all the time in that era, every few minutes. It is staggering the violence of the time.

History seems to show in the last 50 years Hawthorn was the dirtiest thuggish club in the AFL. The amount of thugs they have is amazing even Dipper this year was on Mick Malloy's show laughing how he belted players.
In one incident he lined up some poor guy and elbowed him right on the chin and KO'd him - what a filthy jerk

That was the Buddha Hocking incident where Dipper knocked out Hockings teeth.

It was a great hit.... celebrated by most Geelong and Hawthorn supporters I talk to about it.

No crying here... the footy "violence" back in the day was great for its time and part of the game.

Some people like to single out incidents or clubs, and make childish criticism, like Masher, and are total hypocrites.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back