Radio Leigh Montagna doing play-by-play

Remove this Banner Ad

Bristol

Team Captain
Feb 22, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Was on Triple M today doing the the play-by-play for the Richmond v Brisbane game alongside Ewan Giles (a producer-turned-commentator).

He's occasionally been part of the team doing special comments. This is certainly the first time I can recall an active player also doing commentary within the same season.

He's obviously had some practice before because, for a first-timer, he was decent. Once or twice he got his words tied up a little bit but recovered well (ie. he stopped, took a beat and continued, as opposed to other callers who feel the need to use more words to (unsuccessfully) dig themselves out of the hole they created).

He calls in the Triple M style (casual, blokey Aussie). Generally it was pretty impressive for a debut.

I managed to record a few quarters of it and will look to upload here if people are interested.

Jaeger

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man City, Box Hill Hawks
I'd be interested to hear it.

I think you're right... can't recall another current player calling a game.

BlueBen

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
Good on him and everything, and from the bit I heard he sounded decent, but does it not just reinforce the "jobs for the boys" nature of the AFL?

What hope does an aspiring young commentator trying to work his way up the ranks have when a current player can just waltz in and call an AFL game broadcast to thousands on a commercial radio station?

Franc de Borges

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 5, 2010
Behind sunglasses
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Australia
Darcy's ok - inoffensive, doesn't stuff names up every five seconds like Baz.

Give it 12 months and everyone will be potting Montagna too.
Apart from the emotion of him being a Bulldogs person, his call of them reaching the Grand Final was akin to a reserves player calling the senior suburban match.

jk_29494

Rookie
Jul 25, 2017
GV
AFL Club
Essendon
Good on him and everything, and from the bit I heard he sounded decent, but does it not just reinforce the "jobs for the boys" nature of the AFL?

What hope does an aspiring young commentator trying to work his way up the ranks have when a current player can just waltz in and call an AFL game broadcast to thousands on a commercial radio station?
couldn't agree more. the only prerequisite for working in football media seems to be having played the game, and that's pretty sad really.

'jobs for the boys', 'what would you know, you haven't played the game'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AG

BigFooty Gun
May 24, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal
Apart from the emotion of him being a Bulldogs person, his call of them reaching the Grand Final was akin to a reserves player calling the senior suburban match.
Doesn't beat his 2012 GF final siren call. "Sydney win the grand final"....and silence.

He probably spent all night thinking of that line.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
The AFL media standards in general are absolutely pathetic, especially on a world standard.

It's the only sport other than cricket I can think of that ex-players are major callers.

EPL, NFL, MLB, NBA are all pro commentators.

Sammo360

All Australian
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
I think he's quite good. Adds a little bit of editorialising which is fair enough given his knowledge.

Spearman

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Doesn't beat his 2012 GF final siren call. "Sydney win the grand final"....and silence.

He probably spent all night thinking of that line.
to be perfectly honest I don't mind that one bit, let everyone just soak in the moment. too often it gets hijacked by an announcer branding it(Hudson I'm looking at you) or otherwise babbling away. but I agree, I was probably all Darcy could come up with :)
Montagna will go okay as long as he doesn't try to give too many opinions while he calls; we're watching a footy match, not him.

Hoggy

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 20, 2001
Drumroll please
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Storm, MVFC, WHU, Seahawks, Canucks
Listened to him live at the game last night and he is impressive - but having said that did it likewise for the Geelong v Melbourne game, where I was driving, and his painting of the picture for radio was not good.

He may long term be better off on TV.

daniel anderson

Senior List
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Listened to him live at the game last night and he is impressive - but having said that did it likewise for the Geelong v Melbourne game, where I was driving, and his painting of the picture for radio was not good.

He may long term be better off on TV.
Yeah, he seems to call better on Fox. His style on Fox is more in the way of Sandy or Hudo, rather than the Triple M style (casual, blokey Aussie)

Remove this Banner Ad