Radio Leigh Montagna doing play-by-play

Remove this Banner Ad

Bristol

Team Captain
Feb 22, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Was on Triple M today doing the the play-by-play for the Richmond v Brisbane game alongside Ewan Giles (a producer-turned-commentator).

He's occasionally been part of the team doing special comments. This is certainly the first time I can recall an active player also doing commentary within the same season.

He's obviously had some practice before because, for a first-timer, he was decent. Once or twice he got his words tied up a little bit but recovered well (ie. he stopped, took a beat and continued, as opposed to other callers who feel the need to use more words to (unsuccessfully) dig themselves out of the hole they created).

He calls in the Triple M style (casual, blokey Aussie). Generally it was pretty impressive for a debut.

I managed to record a few quarters of it and will look to upload here if people are interested.

Good on him and everything, and from the bit I heard he sounded decent, but does it not just reinforce the "jobs for the boys" nature of the AFL?

What hope does an aspiring young commentator trying to work his way up the ranks have when a current player can just waltz in and call an AFL game broadcast to thousands on a commercial radio station?

Darcy's ok - inoffensive, doesn't stuff names up every five seconds like Baz.

Give it 12 months and everyone will be potting Montagna too.

Apart from the emotion of him being a Bulldogs person, his call of them reaching the Grand Final was akin to a reserves player calling the senior suburban match.

Good on him and everything, and from the bit I heard he sounded decent, but does it not just reinforce the "jobs for the boys" nature of the AFL?

What hope does an aspiring young commentator trying to work his way up the ranks have when a current player can just waltz in and call an AFL game broadcast to thousands on a commercial radio station?
couldn't agree more. the only prerequisite for working in football media seems to be having played the game, and that's pretty sad really.

'jobs for the boys', 'what would you know, you haven't played the game'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apart from the emotion of him being a Bulldogs person, his call of them reaching the Grand Final was akin to a reserves player calling the senior suburban match.
Doesn't beat his 2012 GF final siren call. "Sydney win the grand final"....and silence.

He probably spent all night thinking of that line.

The AFL media standards in general are absolutely pathetic, especially on a world standard.

It's the only sport other than cricket I can think of that ex-players are major callers.

EPL, NFL, MLB, NBA are all pro commentators.

I think he's quite good. Adds a little bit of editorialising which is fair enough given his knowledge.

Doesn't beat his 2012 GF final siren call. "Sydney win the grand final"....and silence.

He probably spent all night thinking of that line.
to be perfectly honest I don't mind that one bit, let everyone just soak in the moment. too often it gets hijacked by an announcer branding it(Hudson I'm looking at you) or otherwise babbling away. but I agree, I was probably all Darcy could come up with :)
Montagna will go okay as long as he doesn't try to give too many opinions while he calls; we're watching a footy match, not him.

Listened to him live at the game last night and he is impressive - but having said that did it likewise for the Geelong v Melbourne game, where I was driving, and his painting of the picture for radio was not good.

He may long term be better off on TV.

Listened to him live at the game last night and he is impressive - but having said that did it likewise for the Geelong v Melbourne game, where I was driving, and his painting of the picture for radio was not good.

He may long term be better off on TV.
Yeah, he seems to call better on Fox. His style on Fox is more in the way of Sandy or Hudo, rather than the Triple M style (casual, blokey Aussie)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back