Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
Yeah they aren't looking for someone who will be Perth based. That's the point. Just see how he performs.

I’m sure the club has ways to evaluate performance but how does the general fan know what kind of job an opp analyst does? Seems like a pretty cushy type job anyway. Sit down, watch some games and give your opinion to the club? I could do that here in Chicago.... at half the price!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app[/QUOTE]

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I’m sure the club has ways to evaluate performance but how does the general fan know what kind of job an opp analyst does? Seems like a pretty cushy type job anyway. Sit down, watch some games and give your opinion to the club? I could do that here in Chicago.... at half the price!
[/QUOTE] Probably is a bit of a cushy job, but Virtual Daddoo is probably taking it too far.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
It'd generally involve actually going to a game or two every week. Not sure they'd foot the bill to get there from the Windy City and I don't think it pays enough make it worth your while.

It's a creative position as much as anything else. It's all based on the worth of the analysis.

Here's an interesting article I'd read last year profiling the role from one Hawks' scout perspective:
https://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-18/secret-spies-the-life-of-an-opposition-analyst

Whenever I've happened upon Montagna on FoxFooty he seems a bit more observant and less caught up in the prevailing emotive narrative than the others on there. Particularly if it was about Freo.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
They’d need to go to training. The most important info to pass on is who is actually in the team that we play that week so we can prepare effectively.

The most important info is which players are running to get onto the end of chain handballs, from where they start and how the team positions offensively and defensively - they will have variants of those, is it based on time on the clock, is it based off of personnel on the field at the time or is there a directive given by a player somewhere on the field that the team pick up and work?

The camera following the ball doesn't show you that.

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
It'd generally involve actually going to a game or two every week. Not sure they'd foot the bill to get there from the Windy City.

One word. Drones. I just need someone in Vic to launch it while I control it from my couch. No prob. Anyone down? split the salary? Lol

Btw that was a great article. I didn’t realize what went into the job.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
One word. Drones. I just need someone in Vic to launch it while I control it from my couch. No prob. Anyone down? split the salary? Lol

Btw that was a great article. I didn’t realize what went into the job.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I live near Moorabbin Airport, so I'll do it. Will co-ordinate visits to Costco while I'm at it

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
What are peoples thoughts on Montagna getting a berth with Fremantle as an opposition analysist?
Not sure he is that good from what I have seen on Fox.Would have preferred to see DalSanto if we are going the Saints way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
Worries me a bit if he is still going to analyse games for Fox.How can he give credible run down on games, pre game and post game if he is working for Freo.
But if I had a choice, I would prefer Dal Santo to Montagna.I understand both are in the same boat working for Fox. But Dal Santo is a better reader of the game than Montagna.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bit of a rat.

He was the only guy on the St Kilda list who wasn't invited to a player's wedding.

Probably says a lot.

An absolute seagull on the field too. He didn't like getting the hard ball but he also didn't even run hard, especially in his last few years where he'd come off the bench when the Saints had some momentum and he'd park up in the goal square.

Do not rate.

Mar 6, 2007
Florence
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Exers
I'm convinced that most, of not all, of these analysts in the media (Kingy, Dal, Leigh et al) are merely on-air presenters and there's a raft of other analysts off air that do all the hard yards actually watching and re-watching games.

I guess Leigh will have access to the thoughts and views of everyone else at Fox which may or may not be a good thing.
Maybe to a point, with statistics, but I couldn’t imagine a network forking out coin for a bunch of nerds to do the work of the person they are already paying good coin to.

Mar 6, 2007
Florence
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Exers
Bit of a rat.

He was the only guy on the St Kilda list who wasn't invited to a player's wedding.

Probably says a lot.

An absolute seagull on the field too. He didn't like getting the hard ball but he also didn't even run hard, especially in his last few years where he'd come off the bench when the Saints had some momentum and he'd park up in the goal square.

Do not rate.
Perhaps not invited due to some honest analysis?

Freo88

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2011
Up North
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dallas Stars & Fulham-the other FFC
Like that Bo Callaghan character from the movie 'Draft Day'.

Not one of his team mates came to his 21st birthday so he was overlooked for the 1st draft pick. Well that's at least how i read that situation.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
100%.

The only off-field roles we can judge is the senior coach and maybe the list manager and even then, probably not the whole role properly.
It's people like you who take all the fun out of bigfooty! :)

I'm a fat middle-aged web designer in Albany who last played Amateur Colts back in 1986. What the hell you mean I don't know more than paid professionals!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back