Draft Watcher LemmingMaster's 2017 Rankings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
LemmingMaster - good list

Have you seen what Naughton has done post championships? He is now playing for Peel seniors and has really delivered in his first 2 games. I can see him rising up the table. I expect people to start labelling him more like Rance (Alex is in vogue so gets to be a yardstick by many) however I personally like the comparison to Lever better.

His work at the champs was outstanding. At 194 cm (not sure if he will grow any more) he is already a good height to be second tall and playing the more attacking defender. Reads the play and will take on the intercept mark.

Update on England - he has been released by Hale to play more colts and is continuing to get heaps of the ball at Claremont colts. I was not 100% on him as he was a little sloppy in disposal in the U18 but his burst of speed is something special and he would be a great 3rd rounder.

I watched Naughtons last game and my god he is looking good. I was thinking Rance at first and has a little Talia but with more attacking flair. I can certainly see him moving up my rankings as well, thought about it this morning. I keep watching his kicking and the action is scary, but the results are often fine. He has penetration with his boot and it seems to get to the target and with good pace. I think if they make it look a little cleaner at the highest level he could offer an offensive weapon with his boot as well.
He certainly is one of the best readers of play for a defender, certainly better than the other tall defenders in this draft class.

England, I think he has enough AFL attributes that maybe a rookie pick is on the cards, as you said his skills were a little below par, but I think they improved as the champs went on, I think he started to feel at home at that level. So he could take 3 years before starting to show some real positive signs at AFL level.

I watched Naughtons last game and my god he is looking good. I was thinking Rance at first and has a little Talia but with more attacking flair. I can certainly see him moving up my rankings as well, thought about it this morning. I keep watching his kicking and the action is scary, but the results are often fine. He has penetration with his boot and it seems to get to the target and with good pace. I think if they make it look a little cleaner at the highest level he could offer an offensive weapon with his boot as well.
He certainly is one of the best readers of play for a defender, certainly better than the other tall defenders in this draft class.

England, I think he has enough AFL attributes that maybe a rookie pick is on the cards, as you said his skills were a little below par, but I think they improved as the champs went on, I think he started to feel at home at that level. So he could take 3 years before starting to show some real positive signs at AFL level.
Naughton just keeps stepping up. He was best for Peel seniors on the weekend and finishes with 22 disposals and 11 marks. Steel Blue is a tough old ground to play on a wet and windy day if you are an intercept marker and reading the ball with the wind we had on Saturday is tough. Well done young man.

So yes, he will be rising up the draft boards and it will be a matter of who needs a CHB who has elite reading of the play. For me, I see him firming as a first rounder. Who will pull the trigger is difficult. Collingwood probably need him but top 6 is too early. Doggies would be a nice fit and are getting closer to a 12 to 15 pick which is more where I see him landing. If Lever moves on, Crows would be interested.

Saw Taylor made his debut for Swans seniors. Only reading WAFL stats and full backs are never going to win that one. He will be an interesting pick as he sits somewhere in the mid second round but could go deeper than that. Full backs do not usually attract hig hcurrency.

Last edited:

Real shame we never got to see him in the WAFL Grand Final.
Another reason to not like the alignment Clubs topping up with AFL players at the expense of the WAFL juniors, come finals time.

I keep wanting to do a phantom draft, but cannot get the time or energy to complete a full phantom draft, so a progressive option sounds like a plan.
I will update the first page as a go along.

Maybe every day or two, i will select another 5 players.

Here goes.

Progressive Phantom Draft.
I liked Bishops format with regards to the phantom draft, so I am stealing the idea.

Pick 1: Brisbane Lions: Luke Davies-Uniacke
Others: I would hazard a guess that Dow or Brayshaw could be the other two options at this point.

Pick 2: Fremantle: Andrew Brayshaw
Others: Dow or Cerra would be my best bets with regards to players that could be next in line here.

Pick 3: Carlton: Paddy Dow
Others: Cerra and Rayner would be around the mark as well at this point. In my eyes if one of the previous names have slide out to here, I would be picking that player.

Pick 4: North Melbourne: Cam Rayner
Others: Stephenson could be around this point as well as he provides that x factor in their team. North have a number of slowish inside mids and some speed and x factor would be nice.

Pick 5: Fremantle: Adam Cerra
Others: I personally think the Dockers will just build their midfield up. They may have liked a forward, but I'm not sold on selecting anyone at this point. Not sure Brander or Fogarty are forwards first and foremost and Allen this is too early for him. I also don't massively rate Hayes, so he is not a consideration for me.

Progressive Personal Rankings.
1. Andrew Brayshaw
2. Adam Cerra
3. Cameron Rayner
4. Luke Davis-Uniacke
5. Paddy Dow

I will also combine a personal rankings update as well in groups of five. This should be a nice way to get rankings up to date as well.

I can see this outcome too, but why do you feel that Fremantle would take Brayshaw before Cerra?

I guess the answer is somewhat obvious, but which other team do you feel would bite on Brayshaw before Cerra?

I just rate Brayshaw slightly higher than Cerra at the moment, mainly due to his speed.

I keep hearing about Brisbane liking Brayshaw, so it could start anywhere as high as pick 1. Coming back from his injury, Brayshaw has taken everything in his stride. Has a great combination of speed, agility, kicking accuracy, dual sided and can move forward. Along with Cerra and Clark, I really like their defensive efforts as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there are two think tanks
The big footy think tank and the AFL recruiters think tank
They're not mutually exclusive historically

These days the closer you get to the draft, the closer those two concepts become. The amount of information the likes of Twomey get about the draft are rather large.

I think after about pick 15, my mock draft will be less about rough guesses and more to do with my personal rankings of the players and needs of the clubs.

The idea of adding Cerra and Brayshaw to our midfield is very exciting.pace, decision making and hardness combined with decent skills works for me.

I can see this outcome too, but why do you feel that Fremantle would take Brayshaw before Cerra?

I guess the answer is somewhat obvious, but which other team do you feel would bite on Brayshaw before Cerra?

I just rate Brayshaw slightly higher than Cerra at the moment, mainly due to his speed.

I keep hearing about Brisbane liking Brayshaw, so it could start anywhere as high as pick 1. Coming back from his injury, Brayshaw has taken everything in his stride. Has a great combination of speed, agility, kicking accuracy, dual sided and can move forward. Along with Cerra and Clark, I really like their defensive efforts as well.

If I had to guess, I would say Brisbane rate Brayshaw higher than Cerra.

In terms of pure mids, LDU, Dow, Brayshaw, Cerra.

Five more names added to the list.
6. Nick Coffield
Watched him live and he really stood out as a difference maker. He mainly played across the HBF that day but it was those glimpses in the midfield that really made me stand up. When he moves into the midfield, something happens. His kicking is above average, strong overhead and has a nice burst of speed for his height. Makes good decisions and in the second half of the year proved he can play in the midfield. Foj1 did raise a slight concern earlier in the year with regards to his position as his defensive nature was not a highlight he you're picking him as a defender, but I think he can move forward and also play in the midfield.

7. Aiden Bonar
Sample size insanely small with regards to this ranking. It is just a gut feeling with regards to what he can be. Insanely strong in the contest and hunts the packs. He will get first hands on the ball often and with his athletic profile, good luck catching him or sticking a tackle. I will bank on his injuries reducing his fitness base, but if he can develop a tank, watch this space.

8. Hunter Clark
Once again, a HBF that moved into the midfield and showed his worth. I love his body shape, I just picture a few more kgs on it and bang the kid is going to tackle and hurt you. Just reminds me a little of Bonti with his arm length and lean nature. I also thought Bonti loved to tackle as well. Solid kicking skills and has the ability to play many positions.

9. Jaidyn Stephenson
A player with speed that uses it constantly. the reason I think he is down here instead of in the top 5 is a combination of his kicking skills and just not 100% sold at the moment he will move full time into the midfield. Still if he improves his defensive forward pressure, he will be a handful up forward.

10. Aaron Naughton
*Turn your brain off when he kicks the ball and just look at the result*
I often hate comparing players to superstar AFL players but he does remind me of Rance. Watching him take on men at WAFL level and just controlling the back half was a sight to see. He will lock down a player but also has a very attacking nature. Maybe the strongest mark overhead in the draft class and a lovely size and shape for a defender.

Progressive Personal Rankings.

1. Andrew Brayshaw
2. Adam Cerra
3. Cameron Rayner
4. Luke Davis-Uniacke
5. Paddy Dow
6. Nick Coffield
7. Aiden Bonar
8. Hunter Clark
9. Jaidyn Stephenson
10. Aaron Naughton

Good morning people, here is another batch of players on my updated rankings list.
11. Constable
Interestingly I had a look at my notes and there was a mention that if I had bigger nuts, I would place this kid in the top five players. Still not sure why I don't jump on board. I keep hearing talk about his speed, but it is fine. He has great hands on the inside, never really gets caught and understands the game. I like his ability above his head and just does the job. I guess he is just lacking those flash moments that someone like me will project him doing for 4 quarters when in reality he gives you a constant effort instead. Probably more important than those one or two moments of brilliance.

12. Brander
Probably this is the end of my rankings where my concerns on a players ability at AFL level increase a lot.
Last year I thought he was highly likely to become a forward and be in the top 5 in rankings.
I think he may end up being a defender long term that can shift forward for a spurt. A little like Harry Taylor or Reid. His kicking on his non preferred boot always scares me, it is this strange action that does my head in. He attempts those kicks a little too often and it gives me a warped sense of his kicking ability. I would love to see him monster a player or just be insanely aggressive.

13. Lochie O'Brien

Has some legs and can get around the ground. With those country boys you can often allow some development into their game and while people rave about his kicking, it does blow cold every once and a while. If he could develop along the lines of Zach Merrett and show some inside game, that would be great.

14. Fogarty
I am only placing him here because there are too many people with more knowledge than myself rating him in their top 10 and some with the first pick.
I did not massively love Francis in his draft year, and this is another player I don't really like at all. I would gladly allow other clubs to pick him up. (Watch Carlton draft him now). The only position I thought he looked good was in the back half. His forward work was lacking, midfield he just used his bulk (and failed)... When he moved into the back half (playing unaccountable) he dominated the game and you could not get passed him. I guess you would be hoping for a McGovern styled game plan from him at AFL level.

15. Higgins
This kid will do everything to make it at AFL level, that is probably more than you can say about 90% of the kids attempting to be drafted. He may not have massive amounts of untapped potential, but he has shown an ability to find the ball and look dangerous in the forward half. Still, I think at AFL level you want someone with jets in the forward half, Higgins is not that kid. Can find the football and has a knack around goals.

1. Andrew Brayshaw
2. Adam Cerra
3. Cameron Rayner
4. Luke Davis-Uniacke
5. Paddy Dow
6. Nick Coffield
7. Aiden Bonar
8. Hunter Clark
9. Jaidyn Stephenson
10. Aaron Naughton
11. Charlie Constable
12. Jarrod Brander
13. Lochie O’Brien
14. Darcy Fogarty
15. Jack Higgins

I'd have to see more of Dow, his kicking at times seems to be a long bomb it out of a contest. Those were my initial thoughts but on another viewing it did not seem as bad as my first thoughts. Still, I'd like him to be a little more composed when kicking.

Looks like at AFL level he still has the same bloody issues that I thought when I first watched him.

Looks like at AFL level he still has the same bloody issues that I thought when I first watched him.

i also had issue with Paddy Dow in his draft year(and i got criticised for it), i thought he was over-rated... his disposal was always an issue i had and i saw him play only a few times at Carlton, but it is still his major problem from what little ive seen him playing for Carlton.

if you look up my 2017 rankings which is a half hearted effort theres a few people saying im crazy for not rating Paddy Dow higher...

i also had issue with Paddy Dow in his draft year(and i got criticised for it), i thought he was over-rated... his disposal was always an issue i had and i saw him play only a few times at Carlton, but it is still his major problem from what little ive seen him playing for Carlton.

if you look up my 2017 rankings which is a half hearted effort theres a few people saying im crazy for not rating Paddy Dow higher...

There are many players where I knocked them for issues and I am completely wrong. (Matt Crouch, sorry)...

Just sucks when a concern you had with a player shows at AFL level and your team selected him. I can hope he improves his kicking, because he ticks a number of other boxes. I was just keen on Cerra for the Blues.

its a short read, but heres the link to my half hearted 2017 draft thread, it has like about 10 posts of people saying Paddy Dow is great and im mad for having him in my 2nd round group of players.........

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/davos-2017-draft-thread.1175688/
Too early to say he should have been in the 2nd round, at the end of the day Dow will be an impact/burst type midfielder and those types notoriously aren’t the absolute elite kickers. 2nd year in aswell far too early to write him off just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back