Lennon or McCartney?

Remove this Banner Ad

"I Gotta Feeling" the music board's turned into The Beatles board. (Pun intended).
A feeling I can't hide, oh no. OH NO! :thumbsu: Cracking song.

Lennon had a bit of a darker tone to most of his songs than McCartney. McCartney's melodies were usually catchier and I think he got better as time went on, to the point where he made better tunes than Lennon. Both were awesome, but Paul just wins.

A feeling I can't hide, oh no. OH NO! :thumbsu: Cracking song.

Lennon had a bit of a darker tone to most of his songs than McCartney. McCartney's melodies were usually catchier and I think he got better as time went on, to the point where he made better tunes than Lennon. Both were awesome, but Paul just wins.
Post of the thread. Good point on the bolded part

How can you split them??

That's what I'm sayin,you can't. Those who do have issues with one or the other. They can only be split on a lyrical/musical basis. ie McCartney is the tunesmith extraordinaire while Lennon is the master lyricist. Put em together and add Harrison and it's untouchable combo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When i first saw this thread,my immediate thought was that i couldn't split them....

Then I just looked and saw that the 5 songs i picked in the '5 favourite songs by 5 favourite artists thread' thread were all John Lennon songs!!!!

So i guess that has to be my answer......Although there are about 20 songs that are in my top pile with about half by Mccartney and they were just the first 5 of the bunch to pop in my head so it's not that clear cut....

And as far as Post Beatles goes,although 'Band on the Run' is my favourite 'solo' album of the 4,I would still put John's 'solo' stuff over Paul's ...

My favourite 5 solo songs of each would be:

John:Mind Games,#9 Dream,Jealous Guy,Watcing the Wheels,Working Class Hero

Paul:Mrs Vanderbilt,Another Day,No Words,Band On The Run,Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five

George:Give Me Love Give Me Peace On Earth,What Is Life,Faster,That's What It Takes,Blow Away

Ringo:photograph,It Don't Come Easy,The No-No Song,You're Sixteen,Oh My My

I think Paul's music had more variation to it, hard rockers, acoustic ballads, meaningful lyrics, throwaway lyrics, so he tried a bit of everything. John just seemed to be either a dark and meaningful song, or an idiotic song (e.g. Why don't we do it on the road, or everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey)

They're both more than impressive, but I prefer Paul's stuff.

Why don't we do it in the road is a McCartney song and one of the worst Beatles songs,dont like it at all. "Monkey" is a cool rock song and is about him and Yoko(monkey). I often find McCartney doesnt pull of hard rock songs that well and i prefer his ballads and quirky pop songs. Helter Skelter is an exception.

Harrison once stated that lennon gave the Beatles their edge.

I think Paul's music had more variation to it, hard rockers, acoustic ballads, meaningful lyrics, throwaway lyrics, so he tried a bit of everything. John just seemed to be either a dark and meaningful song, or an idiotic song (e.g. Why don't we do it on the road, or everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey)

They're both more than impressive, but I prefer Paul's stuff.

:D :D Whoops

Lennon for dying first and not writing banal songs like 'everybody's gonna dance tonight' - mcartney said he made that up in like 1 minute.... well i'll be....:cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back