Toast Lenny Hayes set for Saints return as assistant coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Question to all this rejoicing in the Lenny news.

What makes you so excited? Is there something from his coaching that I’ve missed? That GWS let him go during the COVID cuts showed they didn’t see him as indispensable.

I’m genuinely curious. Me and a couple of other posters were told we were falling for “messiah” syndrome by advocating going all in for Clarko, a 4 time premiership coach, but many of the same posters taking pots at us over Clarko seem dreadfully excited about a former star player with no demonstrative results as a coach coming back to the club as a coach.

The Lenny situation illustrates a much more accurate example of misguided “messiah” like behavior than those of us wanting to have a crack at Clarko.
Don’t know about anyone else but personally I‘m excited by and looking forward to:

1. Him hopefully teaching the team how to tackle and how to make it stick!💪🏼

2. Being able to wear my I ❤️ Lenny cap again

3. Together with Steele, having the two best looking guys in the AFL on our team - to ease the pain a little when we keep losing 🤣

Seriously though…

I guess it’s a feel good story to have a superstar of the club come home
but I do agree, he had a very talented group to work with at GWS, more talented than ours, and still they couldnt win a flag.

Nevertheless, he’s always been an inspiring figure, lifting the team by his deeds, giving everything every time he crossed the line, so let’s hope he can similarly inspire our players.

But as they say, the proof of the pudding etc…

Last edited:

What makes you so excited? Is there something from his coaching that I’ve missed? That GWS let him go during the COVID cuts showed they didn’t see him as indispensable.

I’m genuinely curious. Me and a couple of other posters were told we were falling for “messiah” syndrome by advocating going all in for Clarko, a 4 time premiership coach, but many of the same posters taking pots at us over Clarko seem dreadfully excited about a former star player with no demonstrative results as a coach coming back to the club as a coach.

The Lenny situation illustrates a much more accurate example of misguided “messiah” like behavior than those of us wanting to have a crack at Clarko.
Personally, I am very happy about the appointment.

My opinions of Lenny and Clarko are based on my (brief) conversations with them, and my observation of their behaviour. I think that they are both excellent people. Either would be excellent additions to our club, although I'm pretty sure that Clarko doesn't want to be an assistant coach.

What I'm hoping Lenny will bring is the no BS attitude and hardness that he played with and that is what our midfield needs a hard edge
imo he will demand respect for the jumper or he will call you out on it.
it seems all to nice and comfortable at the minute

Well the reason was two fold as to why Lenny finished up with GWS. Firstly Covid was a pain. He wanted to spend time with his family and with the hubs and such it worked against them.
Secondly the soft cap limited a number of clubs.
Thirdly if you listen to McVeigh he was quite quick to point out that losing Lenny wasn't good. GWS had sounded out Lenny to return when Cameron got the boot this year. So not just a St Kilda thing.
I would suggest that the GWS mids looked better a few years ago. When Lenny was coaching the midfield. You can have a team of stars but the coaches still have an impact. Whilst he was an assistant within the midfield, they managed to make consecutive finals and a grand final. I would have thought that if we were wanting more experience in the box, he would be a fairly decent choice?

And look at the s**t show over Clarko at present.
Reports are North are going to ask for a decision tomorrow. And good on them. They shouldn't have to deal with this type of crap. They've been in the hunt for a coach for months, looked like getting Clarko only for a Big 4 club to come knocking.

And there is a part of me that hopes that if he does end up at Essendon that his ego diminishes his standing in the game.
Could you have imagined us, sacking Ratten at the end of the year hoping for the messiah and having to miss out because his ego wants a Big 4 club.
Now that would have been a So St Kilda moment!

You only need to look at the Bombers and North boards to see the effects of the Messiah complex.

I love the Lenny appointment. He was highly rated at GWS and he had their midfield purring. Alongside that he's a respected club legend who will be wonderful for our kids to be around.

Well done to those that broke the news last week, it was exactly what I needed after Friday night.

Mowman was calling it on the 6th of August. He gets the good mail.

Here We Go Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Fair enough all, I guess Lenny can hopefully brings standards and pride etc. which we are certainly lacking.

I’m still worried he just might not be a good teacher like so many who are good players are not.

Coaching-wise, there should be one question out board asks potential assistants “do you know how to improve players ability to execute by foot under pressure and design drills for training around ball movement.”

If they can show exactly how they go about doing this, get them in, I don’t care where they are from.

Enough tackling practice.

With the whole Clarko Essendon thing, I’d be making enquiries after Caracella. He may end up having to leave, his star has fallen a bit after being at Essendon but I like the way they move the ball and he’s been at Geelong and Richmond in charge of ball movement, two very good systems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps the fact if we had just one more player on the level on Lenny, we win the flag in 04,09 and 10. In my opinion this is no exaggeration.

Then there is this..

Yeah i want him in the saints corner every day and then some.

I love the Lenny appointment. He was highly rated at GWS and he had their midfield purring. Alongside that he's a respected club legend who will be wonderful for our kids to be around.

Well done to those that broke the news last week, it was exactly what I needed after Friday night.
Purring with their 20 first round picks and still did squat, I love Lenny but the ones making out he is the savour is dreaming

Purring with their 20 first round picks and still did squat, I love Lenny but the ones making out he is the savour is dreaming
Who is making him out to be a savour ?

There is no evidence he's going to be any better than anyone else.

Having said that he loves the club, has bled for us before and you know he will be fully invested.

Plus it's always good to change things up and bring a fresh dynamic.

Lenny Hayes hasn't even accepted the role yet, who knows what this is all about and why this was released to the media.

This is taken straight from the AFL website:

"The Saints have been exploring the possibility of bringing Hayes back to clubland after two seasons away from the game, meeting with the St Kilda great in Sydney in recent months. "

He has a family in Sydney, his wife may have a career in Sydney, his child is probably entrenched in Sydney school.

Again lets not get carried away with anything, until there is actually a formal agreement between St Kilda and Lenny Hayes. The speculation and innuendo surrounding this is bordering on ridiculous.

Lenny Hayes hasn't even accepted the role yet, who knows what this is all about and why this was released to the media.

"The Saints have been exploring the possibility of bringing Hayes back to clubland after two seasons away from the game, meeting with the St Kilda great in Sydney in recent months. "

He has a family in Sydney, his wife may have a career in Sydney, his child is probably entrenched in Sydney school.

Again lets not get carried away with anything, until there is actually a formal agreement between St Kilda and Lenny Hayes. The speculation and innuendo surrounding this is bordering on ridiculous.
So its happening then

He's accepted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back