Leon Cameron - is he the man?

Remove this Banner Ad

So honest question now: is the GWS list really as good as we all think?

Remember Ratten at Carlton...he got sacked because this supposedly "guaranteed Top 4 list" was judged to be underachieving. Turned out they just weren't anywhere near as good as they thought they were.

Remember Ratten at Carlton...he got sacked because this supposedly "guaranteed Top 4 list" was judged to be underachieving. Turned out they just weren't anywhere near as good as they thought they were.
About three years ago, the list rated by draft pick points was nearly twice as good as the next list. It was really really good, but it's now starting to get diluted and a number of key players are now ageing and some of the guns just haven't fired a shot this year.

GWS list changes this year will be very interesting to watch. Don't think Leon is the man but they've backed him for another two years to guide the team to middle of the table status.

I think its time we spoke some truths.

We have severly overrated these players. Leon Cameron is partially to blame, but the 'ferrari' was more a Volkswagen convertible. They made a Grand Final, a few preliminary finals - not every team can win a premiership.

They certainly haven't been a colossal failure, it was always going to be hard to reach those lofty expectations.

SOS seems to be the common thread.

SOS seems to be the common thread.
On the podcast with Sheedy this week, Don Scott was saying the Giants were loaded with talent and should have won multiple flags. Sheeds disagreeing, saying the talent was over hyped. He was scathing with their earliest draft picks, said that out of the first 5 ever picks, they wasted 4. I was stunned when I heard this, thinking he must be off his rocker. So I just had to check what their first 5 picks were:

Patton
Coniglio
Tyson
Hoskin-Elliot
Buntine

He's right. Only one of them has been a consistent star. The others weren't worth keeping and haven't done much elsewhere.

I reckon he was having a dig at Silvagni.

On the podcast with Sheedy this week, Don Scott was saying the Giants were loaded with talent and should have won multiple flags. Sheeds disagreeing, saying the talent was over hyped. He was scathing with their earliest draft picks, said that out of the first 5 ever picks, they wasted 4. I was stunned when I heard this, thinking he must be off his rocker. So I just had to check what their first 5 picks were:

Patton
Coniglio
Tyson
Hoskin-Elliot
Buntine

He's right. Only one of them has been a consistent star. The others weren't worth keeping and haven't done much elsewhere.

Patton was great before his knees.
What were theor 6 through10 ?

Pick 11 was good.

Patton
Coniglio
Tyson
Hoskin-Elliot
Buntine

It’s harsh. Patton’s best has been good and Hoskin-Elliott has been good at Collingwood.

Realistically GWS's time was in 2017 to 2019. That was their window, where they were at their best list wise. Now that window is gone, or at least a lot smaller than it was in those 3 years.

Yep. Most talented list and played a good game style 2016-2019. Unfortunately for them lost a PF epic to the dogs then a buzz saw Richmond side in 2017. From memory had a long injury list in 2018 then 2019 fell into the GF and got flogged.

Can’t escape the feeling they’d have won one of those if they had a better coach and more selfless playing group, but maybe that’s unfair. To come out of their first decade with no flag is a problem though, especially if their better players start to jump ship.

Patton was great before his knees.
What were theor 6 through10 ?

Pick 11 was good.
Haynes, Tomlinson, Sumner. One hit, one meh, one flop.

(Also Wingard and Longer but they weren't drafted by GWS)

They did do well with 11, 13 and 14 though (Greene, Adams, Smith)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club’s culture-setting moral compass upon founding was Tom Scully. I have no doubt Coniglio has used the WA clubs and big Victorian offers as a bargaining chip to extract every possible cent out of GWS. And like Scully, he’ll get his numbers and his money and he’ll win fu** all before limping to the finish line a cripple either in his current contract or after he’s mercy-traded to get him off the books.

Coniglio’s career peaked in 2010.

I think its time we spoke some truths.

We have severly overrated these players. Leon Cameron is partially to blame, but the 'ferrari' was more a Volkswagen convertible. They made a Grand Final, a few preliminary finals - not every team can win a premiership.

They certainly haven't been a colossal failure, it was always going to be hard to reach those lofty expectations.

Here is another truth, and you already know it.

Richmond has showed you dont need a team full of supposide star top 10 picks to win a flag.

You need a good coach and game plan, a handful of stars and a squad who buys in and does all the hard work and get their hands dirty.

GWS has.the stars.......and that is it.

Here is another truth, and you already know it.

Richmond has showed you dont need a team full of supposide star top 10 picks to win a flag.

You need a good coach and game plan, a handful of stars and a squad who buys in and does all the hard work and get their hands dirty.

GWS has.the stars.......and that is it.

Need a good attitude in your playing group, i reckon GWS' players gave a poor attitude

Goddard for one?
Was thinking about him as well. Good player with very long career. But a B&F and 2 AAs as only mayor individual awards. During 2009 and 2010 lots of people had him among the best players in the league. Has stagnated then. But on a high level. Don't midn naming him as well, but probably more a star then a superstar.

PS And of course truely the best no. 1 pick was Clive anyway...

I'm convinced he is one of the worst coaches in the league.

Imagine that Giants talent over the last handful of years with a somewhat competent coach steering them?

Under a Clarkson, Simpson, Hardwick, Longmire or the like they'd be multiple flag winners.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back