News Leppa and ZOB - Clash of the Titans

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we're not tackling much this year because we don't want to assault others at the workplace?

Very considerate.

AFL players give consent to be tackled on game-day. They do not give consent to be 'tackled' and threatened by the coach, unless its part of a training drill etc. Use some common sense before writing your next argument.

I guess our own moral compasses will ultimately decide on which side of the fence you sit on with this...

But for those claiming Leppa's actions were either bullying or over the top or assault I have a genuine question.

Aside from the armed services, where I would suggest this sort of incident is run of the mill... can you name me an "workplace" environment that is as worked up, adrenaline charged, emotional and hyperactive as a footy changing room mid rev up at half time? Maybe not everyone in there is yelling and screaming and punching walls, but you can bet most individuals have heart racing, high blood pressure and are wound fully into flight or fight mode.

Its a work place where highly strung, highly reactionary responses are not only normal but demanded. Anything less and you'll be accused of not caring.

I get that some consider what happened as excessive and unacceptable. And in a Telstra call centre or Coffee Club or Myers I would agree.

But, while I don't like the thought of our players and coaches at physical loggerheads, I somehow find the fact that enough emotion was shown on both sides for it to happen in such an environment as weirdly reassuring. Especially given the timing and circumstances.

If that passion and fight can be channeled in the right direction on the field, things will start to turn around... quickly.

I guess our own moral compasses will ultimately decide on which side of the fence you sit on with this...

But for those claiming Leppa's actions were either bullying or over the top or assault I have a genuine question.

Aside from the armed services, where I would suggest this sort of incident is run of the mill... can you name me an "workplace" environment that is as worked up, adrenaline charged, emotional and hyperactive as a footy changing room mid rev up at half time? Maybe not everyone in there is yelling and screaming and punching walls, but you can bet most individuals have heart racing, high blood pressure and are wound fully into flight or fight mode.

Its a work place where highly strung, highly reactionary responses are not only normal but demanded. Anything less and you'll be accused of not caring.

I get that some consider what happened as excessive and unacceptable. And in a Telstra call centre or Coffee Club or Myers I would agree.

But, while I don't like the thought of our players and coaches at physical loggerheads, I somehow find the fact that enough emotion was shown on both sides for it to happen in such an environment as weirdly reassuring. Especially given the timing and circumstances.

If that passion and fight can be channeled in the right direction on the field, things will start to turn around... quickly.

tumblr_m2wfjlK1Tf1qh2o7zo1_500.gif

I think the side of the fence you sit on depends on which version of events you believe happened.

If you think he just pulled his jumper, you would think it's nothing, why are people over reacting?

If you think he put his hands around Zacs neck and had him pinned against the wall, you would think it's completely unacceptable regardless of it being a footy club or not.

Players would be pumped up, heart racing, full of nervous energy before a game. At half time most of them would be stuffed and trying to relax and get their energy back.

This whole argument and differing opinions IMO is based on which version of events you think/believe happened.

Do I think Leppa just pulled his jumper, no.

Do I think Leppa tried to strangle him to death, no.

The truth I believe is somewhere in between.

How is this at all relevant? Green and I don't work together. Your argument is completely invalid. Stop trying to cause trouble.
...you and I do not work together and you did not witness what happened between Leppa and Zob and in the process have fallen for the media 3 card trick. In doing so you have drawn a conclusion that is nothing short of hysterical. With all due respect Hysteria 25, you are the one causing trouble.

Sorry to hear of that Kezz - you have posted regarding your employment in the past.
What do they say, from little things big things grow? One hopes this is now on the improve. http://www.news.com.au/news/australian-defence-force-scandals/story-fn7djq9o-1226035328870

I'm not actually defence, I'm a contractor. And I dish out as good as I get.

At the end of the day my coworkers and I are always there for each other, no matter how many dust-ups/yelling matches/seriously inappropriate conversations that will take years of therapy to forget we have.

How is this at all relevant? Green and I don't work together. Your argument is completely invalid. Stop trying to cause trouble.
I thought it was actually a valid question.

Surely a poster of your intelligence would see the relevance, no matter what the level, of parallels between the discussed physical and verbal bullying?

I thought it was actually a valid question.

Surely a poster of your intelligence would see the relevance, no matter what the level, of parallels between the discussed physical and verbal bullying?

I'll answer it then.

No, obviously I would not call a colleague with the last name 'Fatso Green'. The difference is that Josh Green is not a colleague of mine. I don't even live in the same state as Green and I've only ever seen him on TV. It's the same as someone saying that Lance Armstrong is a drug cheat, Clive Palmer is a fat idiot, or Miley Cyrus is a ****. Obviously you wouldn't say that stuff to their faces, but we are allowed to criticize them because they are celebrities. Everyone does it.

Wayyyyy too many offended people on this forum, seriously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll answer it then.

No, obviously I would not call a colleague with the last name 'Fatso Green'. The difference is that Josh Green is not a colleague of mine. I don't even live in the same state as Green and I've only ever seen him on TV. It's the same as someone saying that Lance Armstrong is a drug cheat, Clive Palmer is a fat idiot, or Miley Cyrus is a ****. Obviously you wouldn't say that stuff to their faces, but we are allowed to criticize them because they are celebrities. Everyone does it.

Just because everyone does it, doesn't make it right -;)

I'll answer it then.

Idiocy. A FOOTBALL coach reprimanding a FOOTBALL player is not workplace bullying. It's not a standard workplace. And bullying suggests repetitive and damaging behaviour. This was merely an incident. Probably an unremarkable incident, in a "workplace" populated with young men.

I will say this however -- it's definitely not appropriate to call young women, whether you know them or not, sluts.

Idiocy. A FOOTBALL coach reprimanding a FOOTBALL player is not workplace bullying. It's not a standard workplace. And bullying suggests repetitive and damaging behaviour. This was merely an incident. Probably an unremarkable incident, in a "workplace" populated with young men.

I will say this however -- it's definitely not appropriate to call young women, whether you know them or not, sluts.

It's not appropriate to call women names but it's perfectly appropriate to grab guys by their neck and get in their face?

I think the french call that, Le double standarde

I'll answer it then.

I really hope Josh doesn't read BigFooty. (some players do, you know)

Our boys seem to be lacking confidence atm, and reading your posts would do a real lot for Josh's confidence, wouldn't it? Think about that for a moment.

I really hope Josh doesn't read BigFooty. (some players do, you know)

Our boys seem to be lacking confidence atm, and reading your posts would do a real lot for Josh's confidence, wouldn't it? Think about that for a moment.

What about Miley? She would be crushed, massive fan of big footy and the AFL.

:rolleyes:.... low intelligence is not just confined to old people it seems.

As my post was about Josh, I feel confident that Miley would not be too concerned or upset by it. Hysteria would be the one to discuss that with, as he was the one who referred to Miley and Clive, not me.

But fatso green is ok? And pulling a player into line is? (I personally agree with leppa) you have some major double standards going on.

.....anyway, the incident of which this thread is about, seems to be over and we are moving on. I feel Zac will learn from it, and hopefully so will the rest of the team..

..just might have jolted a few of them as to the reason they are in Brisbane and getting the money they are.....and the behaviour expected of them. Disrespect to a superior is never acceptable.

Can only hope.

I guess also the positive is this opens up dialogue where there might not of been dialogue before.

The players not only seeing the coach lose control like that, but then to come back and say sorry, is a big thing. It might not seem like much, but it is. Not only does the coach now seem more "human" (losing control) but he probably won a lot of respect by apologising.

Anyway, I agree that it's time to close the thread, unless we want to turn it into the photo caption thread, punch-on edition.

I have read this whole thread and I am still amazed - if reported correctly - that this can be justified as acceptable behaviour. This is not acceptable in the work place, in the playground or in our own houses. Honestly it is that simple. I think a few around here need to get there heads out of their own arse particularly when trying to justify what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back