Analysis Leppa's 2015 season review.

Remove this Banner Ad

That is what an AFL coaching gig is in 2015. He got most of it from Hardwick, and Hardwick got it from Clarkson and Choco. Malthouse apparently was the last of the old guard that worked on gut feel more than numbers, and we know how that ended. Mick baulked at assistant coaches attempts to bring in more statistical accountability.

People have complained about Leppas pressers repeatedly leaning on injuries and youth. He barely touched on personnel here, and instead brought us in on measures most club keep to themselves, what they know and how they think.

Not sure what more people could ask of him.
Sorry but this in incorrect. The truth is almost the exact opposite. He and Ross Lyon are known for having extremely analytical outlooks on the game and are probably the last two coaches to go this way to that degree.

Interestingly the cats have a real 'play on instinct' type attitude and carry a very professional but casual kind of feel through the entire club and I reckon that translates to the playing group. Incidentally I would love to see us take more of this kind of attitude to training and games as IMO we have become far too structured.

Compared to who and on what evidence?

He's chosen a format that removes the emotion and passion from the information which is what you'd hope good coaches do. From my understanding both the Scott boys are heavily into the statistical side of the game personally and from what you hear about player reviews after each game it seems it takes about 24 hours to dissect the data for most clubs, so I'd say all coaches rely heavily on this sort of info.

Leppas choice to use it publicly to try and make us, the passion driven supporters, understand that in the cold hard light of day things are simply not as bad as they seem, is probably the only real difference.

To some I guess they will seem like meaningless numbers, others will see very real patterns and a wealth of information. Frankly I'm not sure how else you'd break down a teams performance critically without bias, and not be very reliant on them.

But are they as good as they seem?

Aren't these videos supposed to be of Leppa explaining metrics and analysing the season?

I'd hate to see one done by Bomber Thompson. I think I'd be scratching my skin to pieces by the end.

Given the poor results in non- stoppage contested ball. I think you are spot on. We are losing the one on ones. The Mcstay example is a good one and strength and technique improvements will hopefully see us improve.

I'm not sure if Leppa is more 'stats driven' than other coaches, but as a modern coach he has access to stats and analytical information that coaches (and fans) haven't had the benefit of before. I would expect him to use that and am happy with him doing that.

I don't think it is obscuring his understanding of the game rather and I've not seen evidence that Leppa is so in love with his stats that he misses the big picture. By way of example, Mitch Robinson had a great year but he didn't look like a club champion when he first arrived, or in the first few games. Now Leppa persevered either because a) the stats showed that Robbo was assisting in a critical game area (good use of Stats leppa), or because Leppa just had the gut feeling that he brought something (good use of gut Leppa), in the end Robbo delivered on the key stat that we fans wanted from him, body count.

Stats are the key to the moneyball decisions that change the way the game is perceived and analysed and ultimately played. I would prefer Leppa being ahead of the curve on this and can't understand the negativity.

Given the poor results in non- stoppage contested ball. I think you are spot on. We are losing the one on ones. The Mcstay example is a good one and strength and technique improvements will hopefully see us improve.

I'm not sure if Leppa is more 'stats driven' than other coaches, but as a modern coach he has access to stats and analytical information that coaches (and fans) haven't had the benefit of before. I would expect him to use that and am happy with him doing that.

I don't think it is obscuring his understanding of the game rather and I've not seen evidence that Leppa is so in love with his stats that he misses the big picture. By way of example, Mitch Robinson had a great year but he didn't look like a club champion when he first arrived, or in the first few games. Now Leppa persevered either because a) the stats showed that Robbo was assisting in a critical game area (good use of Stats leppa), or because Leppa just had the gut feeling that he brought something (good use of gut Leppa), in the end Robbo delivered on the key stat that we fans wanted from him, body count.

Stats are the key to the moneyball decisions that change the way the game is perceived and analysed and ultimately played. I would prefer Leppa being ahead of the curve on this and can't understand the negativity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back