News Leppitsch's contract extended until 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Do I?

Yes I do.

I also like making cake.

Leppa is trying to take all the credit for your work. You should have a chat to Swanny and make sure he knows what's happening.

I wonder if LeighMatthews knows what's going on. Maybe things aren't as good or as bad they seem.

Leppa is trying to take all the credit for your work. You should have a chat to Swanny and make sure he knows what's happening.

I wonder if LeighMatthews knows what's going on. Maybe things aren't as good or as bad they seem.

I'm sick of entering copyright cases with regards to people using this statement.

I'll have my people call your.... wait ... do you even have people?

We shouldn't have sacked Leppa but he has done nothing to deserve another year before this one is out IMO. If we are going shithouse yet again the media will ask questions regardless.

I think anyone who thinks this guarantees he'll be here until the end of next season is being a bit naive. Another very poor season will see him on the way out. What defines poor is the unknown from a club pov. We're not talking huge money here. This is all about taking a bit of perceived pressure off and giving the media less to talk about. It's not a guarantee he'll see out his contract.

Let's hope we improve and he gets another bit coaching contracts are barely worth the paper they're written on
Come on, Sharpless said that he has the full support of the board. That's a good thing, right? Right?

Pete, we agreed that we weren't going to be making statements on here anymore - even about cake.

It's not the message fans want - they just want wins, wins, wins.
We're not greedy - anything over 4 would be a start.

I'm 50/50 on this. I want stability but I also think Leppa isn't the man to take us forward. I don't like the game plan, the positional changes of certain players, nor the fact that Leppa has a people problem. Hopefully he can improve on them this and next season. Either way if Leppa fails he won't last beyond 2017 and I would be all for Rattan who I think deserves another chance. He has also worked under Clarko which is a huge bonus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely sometimes you need to 'change horses in midstream'. Organisations need to constantly assess the path they're on and the key staff that are in charge. It's not good practice to defer judgement for three or four years while you wait for the whole of the plan to be completed.

I'm not arguing fundamentally against the principle. I am talking about this specific circumstance. Of course judgement has to be made along the way but you seem to be writing off a whole bunch of considerations relevant to that judgement as irrelevant "excuses".

I'm 50/50 on this. I want stability but I also think Leppa isn't the man to take us forward. I don't like the game plan, the positional changes of certain players, nor the fact that Leppa has a people problem. Hopefully he can improve on them this and next season. Either way if Leppa fails he won't last beyond 2017 and I would be all for Rattan who I think deserves another chance. He has also worked under Clarko which is a huge bonus.

I think your opinion is fair enough, but I think the bolded bit is a weak generalization.

He seems to have had a problem with some people, but seems to be pretty well liked by a lot of players as well. Rocky, Bastinac and Mitch have all been pretty effusive about him in the press recently.

Ultimately, a good coach should be able to mitigate personality clashes with the players they're different to (will always happen) and get the most out of relationships with compatible personalities. Taking the club at face value, Leppa sought feedback and has taken it on board. That's been validated by the recommitment of the players who allegedly were unhappy, like Zorko and Green. No doubt he's a work in progress, but I don't think it's accurate to pretend he's just incompatible with the whole squad.

I think your opinion is fair enough, but I think the bolded bit is a weak generalization.

He seems to have had a problem with some people, but seems to be pretty well liked by a lot of players as well. Rocky, Bastinac and Mitch have all been pretty effusive about him in the press recently.

Ultimately, a good coach should be able to mitigate personality clashes with the players they're different to (will always happen) and get the most out of relationships with compatible personalities. Taking the club at face value, Leppa sought feedback and has taken it on board. That's been validated by the recommitment of the players who allegedly were unhappy, like Zorko and Green. No doubt he's a work in progress, but I don't think it's accurate to pretend he's just incompatible with the whole squad.
The good thing about Leppa is that he has acknowledged he had a problem and has publicly stated that he will be trying hard to improve his leadership deficiencies as a coach. Admitting to your mistakes takes a lot of courage but even more so if you are in the spotlight like Leppa is. Looks like everyone is happy and pumped for the upcoming season and the mood around the club is the best it has been in a long time. Also with the inclusion of Lambert and Melissa it has further allows Leppa to do the coaching and not delve into the personal lives of all the players to the same extent that he might have had last season. Just look at the likes of Lyon and Clarko for instance they are coaches first and foremost.

The good thing about Leppa is that he has acknowledged he had a problem and has publicly stated that he will be trying hard to improve his leadership deficiencies as a coach. Admitting to your mistakes takes a lot of courage but even more so if you are in the spotlight like Leppa is. Looks like everyone is happy and pumped for the upcoming season and the mood around the club is the best it has been in a long time. Also with the inclusion of Lambert and Melissa it has further allows Leppa to do the coaching and not delve into the personal lives of all the players to the same extent that he might have had last season. Just look at the likes of Lyon and Clarko for instance they are coaches first and foremost.

Spot on, I reckon.

The sense I get from the club is that they see some real strengths in Leppa (football analysis, technical coaching) and some player management things that need improving. As you summarized nicely, the club has now installed some help in the area of relative weakness, and I'm glad to have a coach with good technical coaching skills (trusting Leigh Matthews here) to use as a base to build off.

I'm not arguing fundamentally against the principle. I am talking about this specific circumstance. Of course judgement has to be made along the way but you seem to be writing off a whole bunch of considerations relevant to that judgement as irrelevant "excuses".

I don't consider the context of injuries and player movements as irrelevant, but they are just context. What I object to is presenting them as reasons in themselves to extend his contract.

I would like to know - or at least be able to guess at - what real standard Leppitsch could have possibly reached in order to justify an extension.

interesting from leppas press conference today- andrew hamilton, when is success coming? hammo then suggested 2 years? leppa- you hit the nail on the head hammo, we are at about 70 games average, to play finals history says you need 100 games average. leppa also said- greatness is coming.

leppa also said- greatness is coming.

Leppa also said when he was appointed that he would limit the blowouts. If anything, our margins have blown out even more under Leppa's coaching, so I would take his far reaching statements with a grain of salt at this point.

All for leppa re-signing but needs to be careful with the improvement talk. We could easily be 1-9 by round 10, people often judge early on and forget about it when we improve (slightly) in the 2nd part of the season. Sounds negative but realistic. The group are happy, I doubt Sam Mayes has a problem with Leppitsch or the club it's just an unfortunate situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back