music_2000

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2005
western sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, wanderers. NY giants
Is anyone else doing any of the programs? Along with regular running and weights I always find time to do the following each week RPM (cycling) Body pump (weights) cxworx (core strength) and body attack (athletics). The programs are pretty awsome but I'm just worried that I may not be doing enough weight training though. all the cardio classes helped me drop down to 64kg and now I want the muscle mass. Would the Les mills programs help support my goals? should I focus more on the weight training and maybe cut down on some classes?

thanks guys

if u wanna grow, you gotta eat.

Give your body the right building blocks for growth and it will do as such.

Answer the following:
What is ur current activity level?
what is ur current diet?
how much protein are you getting in?
what is ur calorie maintenance?
what is ur weight trainin program?

Yeah mate, i'd cut down the classes if you want muscle mass & like HungryHado said, you need a calorie surplus to gain weight.

I'd look at 2 strength/hypertrophy sessions a week (either 2 total body or 1 upper, 1 lower depending on your skills training) & one class - I'd be most inclined to recommend RPM

Cardio is cardio. Doesn't matter if its treadmill, rowing, skipping, running around the block or a class. You use cardio to get yourself fit. Not for weight loss/gain. You just need to do whatever cardio that you enjoy doing. If you're regularly running the classes won't add much more.

I suggest going into a structured weight program (ie. starting strength) by doing weights 3-4 times per week. Progressively increase the weights. Do cardio 2-3 times per week.

Also eat heaps and get plenty of protein.

Gym classes will do nothing towards muscle gain.

If the OP is doing heavy leg work in the gym and all his running training & playing footy, i recommended RPM as there's no impact on his legs/joints but he's still getting the cardio benefits.

i detest classes, plenty of joint impact, repetitive movements and lack of progression don't really equate to anything but a sweat for 10mins after them

if you want mass then you need to train wts 3/week at least and do a minimum of cardio depending on what you actually do cardio for

i detest classes, plenty of joint impact, repetitive movements and lack of progression don't really equate to anything but a sweat for 10mins after them

if you want mass then you need to train wts 3/week at least and do a minimum of cardio depending on what you actually do cardio for

What're your thoughts on aqua zumba then? Seems to tick all the boxes. I'm a big fan, nothing like it imo to supplement a hydroxy shreddology phase.

The OP enjoys it *shrugs

One of the hardest parts of coaching strength & conditioning is changing peoples psychology. We need to find a happy medium between what they want and what they need

The Les Mills classes are great fun, very well structured and good for you - especially for cardio fitness and core strength. But if you want muscle mass then you'll not get it that way. To a certain extent muscle mass and cardio are opposed. AFL players have to work very hard to be faily muscular and very cardio fit. It is a difficult balancing act. Look at what campaigner went through.

Pump is many reps low weight. No problem, great fitness and strength program. But not muscle building. It will rip fat off, but not build muscle beyond a certain amount for people who have never lifted weights.

The big boys in the gym often can't run around the block. They have big muscles but low fitness levels. Look at the olympic runners for the tradeoff. Sprinters built like brick outhouses, middle distance lean but with some muscle, and long distance skinny.
What do you want??

I do a tradeoff, 3 weights sessions for strength, I've put on a fair bit of muscle. And about 5-6 cardio (running, Attack, RPM) and 5 core (bosu, Body Balance and abs classes). I don't want to be big, but like that I've got some muscle now. I want aerobic fitness, and get that.
More muscle = more heavy weights, and less cardio.

MMM-Best-Use-Of-A-Bikini-Smile-Gallery-05-600x400.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back