Lest We Forget

May 20, 2001
Kufa, Iraq
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Banhammer Big House Under 70s
With Remembrance Day fast approaching, wouldn't it be good if the Australian government would declare that at 11 o'clock on the eleventh day of the eleventh month, everything stops for one minute, one minute's silence; to remember all those that have fought, died and suffered because of warfare. Not to glorify it in any way; just to remember.
...............................................................................................................................................................................

In Passchendaele, Belgium in October 1917, Australia had sustained 38,000 casualties in eight weeks. Thirty five Australians were killed for every metre of ground taken.
In March 1918, the Germans took it all back in just three days.

Just imagine 60,000 casualties of the first day of the Battle of the Somme.:oops:

More than 70 million people fought in WWI, with estimates of the dead between nine and 13 million, many who have no known grave.
By the time the Armistice was signed on 11 November 1918 ending the fighting in ‘the war to end all wars’, over 60,000 members of the AIF had died and 156,000 had been wounded, gassed or taken prisoner.

Although news of the Armistice led to celebrations across Australia, the huge cost of the war in human terms meant that many families and communities were grieving.
The editorial in the Sydney Morning Herald on 12 November 1918 noted: ‘There will be many whom this news of victory will not save from personal grief. The sounds of rejoicing cannot but bring some reminder of their loss.’

The Australian government faced the challenge of bringing the troops home, a process that took more than a year from the Armistice.
Charles Bean noted that at the end of 1918 large numbers of the AIF remained in almost every theatre of operations — with 92,000 in France, 60,000 in England and 17,000 in Egypt, Palestine and Syria.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

LEST WE FORGET

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Norma Lee Ava :thumbsu:

a0fc9bd0eb02a0c98388fb56663c201b

I do it, regardless of where I am.
Seriously good thread.
Well maybe you can hold a minute's silence for another reason - for my wife: November 11 is our wedding anniversary.

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember her!!!!!

I don't play werewolf tones.

Why you coming in here all angry then? Harmless thread paying respect to those who did the ultimate job for their country and paid the ultimate price. I realise it is not for everyone but sometimes it pays to read the room.

Why you coming in here all angry then? Harmless thread paying respect to those who did the ultimate job for their country and paid the ultimate price. I realise it is not for everyone but sometimes it pays to read the room.
This ain't the place chief.

Entirely irrelevant to the league and posted over a week before the actual day.

This is literally a Facebook post that my nans best friend would post.

This ain't the place chief.

Entirely irrelevant to the league and posted over a week before the actual day.

This is literally a Facebook post that my nans best friend would post.

Yeah not too much different to the Christmas message one that will pop up in a month. Oh wait, that's right I forgot.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Theoretically Loons is right, this is a Club Room thread. That forum was created for threads like this, to keep the main board completely qooty related.

Its sentiment is correct, its location is not.

Yes.

Given it is addressed to the SFA and discusses the happenings of the league.

Come on mate, I am one of the greatest bullshitters on earth and you expect me to buy that!?

What has happened to you? Any wonder the Hawks are battling.

Theoretically Loons is right, this is a Club Room thread. That forum was created for threads like this, to keep the main board completely qooty related.

Its sentiment is correct, its location is not.

I don't disagree. Loonerty post though was akin to burning the flag.

I don't disagree. Loonerty post though was akin to burning the flag.
Sentiment is good.

But it quite clearly is just something that was found on Facebook that was chosen to share here, on a fantasy football forum.

No relevance whatsoever and the timing is a week off.

Back