Let’s save our beloved BBL before it’s too late......by Shane Watson

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't need to bet. BBL is sold for TV while the Sheffield Shield exists as reserves/development league.
A development league to Australian cricket's biggest money spinner. Hence why its importance is safe as houses.
Domestic and international TV rights for Tests still dwarves the festive sideshow

A development league to Australian cricket's biggest money spinner. Hence why its importance is safe as houses.
Domestic and international TV rights for Tests still dwarves the festive sideshow

You're conflating Sheffield Shield with Tests.

You're conflating Sheffield Shield with Tests.
Nope. They are permanently linked.
So long as tests remain a money spinner and the pinnacle of cricket then the shield will live on.

The fact you can't see that shows that your support of cricket is as shallow as the T20 talent pool. Puddle depth.

Yeah, neither are going anywhere. Test cricket is still considered the pinnacle by most and the profits made by test cricket (the largest profit earner for CA) means the Shield will be around for a long time to come as Australia need it to make good test cricketers.

And the BBL won't die. It's CA's second biggest money earner.

Thumberboy way off the mark. Even the Matador Mutual Knockout Comp isn't going anywhere until ODIs die off, which is long overdue (like how it's time for snobs, particularly the type who hopelessly try to dismiss T20s as fake cricket, to get over themselves).

Let's kill off the BBL and bring back the beloved 6 team state league.

Thumberboy way off the mark. Even the Matador Mutual Knockout Comp isn't going anywhere until ODIs die off, which is long overdue (like how it's time for snobs, particularly the type who hopelessly try to dismiss T20s as fake cricket, to get over themselves).

hahaha, mate, ODIs will continue because they make $$$ and are a great middle ground between the formats

hahaha, mate, ODIs will continue because they make $$$ and are a great middle ground between the formats
Heard it all before. Truth is: 7-hour cricket makes money. Night matches make money. 50-over games are no longer required for either.

Everybody will catch on to this soon enough, except for the rare kind of slow poke who is still longing for the return of the six-team T20 domestic comp.

Heard it all before. Truth is: 7-hour cricket makes money. Night matches make money. 50-over games are no longer required for either.

Everybody will catch on to this soon enough, except for the rare kind of slow poke who is still longing for the return of the six-team T20 domestic comp.

:rolleyes:

Of all the 104 members of the ICC, how many do you suppose will be happy for ODIs to disappear?

:rolleyes:

Of all the 104 members of the ICC, how many do you suppose will be happy for ODIs to disappear?
Getting off topic here, and I don't have much interest in reading your frowny faces. So, quickly, last post in this thread about it from me:

Somehow you haven't noticed by now, it's irrelevant what 101 of those members want. The BCCI will predominantly dictate this matter, and I've already explained the main reason for my prediction about their future preferences.

Getting off topic here, and I don't have much interest in reading your frowny faces. So, quickly, last post in this thread about it from me:

Somehow you haven't noticed by now, it's irrelevant what 101 of those members want. The BCCI will predominantly dictate this matter, and I've already explained the main reason for my prediction about their future preferences.

Not irrelevant in the least. As long as ODIs are crucial to developing cricket across nations, they will be played, and the titanically slow-moving BCCI is unlikely to want them scapped any time soon - unless you have evidence that they see a future in T20 Internationals outside of the T20 World Cup?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Art Vandelay_ why are you laughing?
Why should I dignify that with a response? Not like you ever say why sensible remarks get a thumbsdown merely because it doesn’t conform to a left agenda. Or that I somehow ended up with the softest point the last time we interacted...

I am laughing at your repeated insistence in this thread that tests will die off. They won’t.

A Big Bash League draft for overseas players is on the cards, while a bonus point for the team leading at the 10-over mark, in-game substitutions and free hits after wides are also being seriously discussed by Cricket Australia in a bid to spice up the flagging Twenty20 competition.

A Big Bash League draft for overseas players is on the cards, while a bonus point for the team leading at the 10-over mark, in-game substitutions and free hits after wides are also being seriously discussed by Cricket Australia in a bid to spice up the flagging Twenty20 competition.

The game doesn’t need rule changes. The comp needs to be shorter and the best players be available

You can't make this rubbish up. Piss off, CA (note that they're just proposals at this stage)
  • Bonus points available to teams for their progress at the 10-over point of an innings
  • Substitutions also allowed within that same period
  • Powerplay split between the first four overs of the innings and two overs floating elsewhere
  • Free-hits for the bowling of wides
  • The addition of extra breaks for advertisements and player strategy after every five overs.
  • A draft for overseas players is also expected to be up for consideration
The only one I kind of like is the last one. The rest all stink (including keeping the long season - UGH).

Using the AFL strategy - throw a heap of 'proposed' rule changes out there, test the response from the punters, keeps them in the news during off-season period, maybe implement one or two of the proposed changes by the time the season comes around

as if CA cares about what the punters want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back