Society/Culture Let’s talk about...gouging

It’s the epidemic after the pandemic.

Reports are a beer at the footy is almost $10. Tourist spots of all levels with higher priced. The list goes on and on

Will someone in the public eye call this out?
Beer at the footy has been $10 for years.

Hill on made a big deal about lowering the price a couple back
Not at the Gabba he didn’t.

TBH I think it is a rort. Theses are massive, multinational companies. They aren’t small operators having to make up the cost of a stall that they only get to open once a week.

Prices of everything are so high because of royalties and rent to the stadium and the league.

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
Whitlam? He seems to be responsible for all other ills to befall Australia.

It must be said that a thread about 'gouging' is an improvement on ones about 'groping'. However, it must also be said, in contradistinction to my own argument, that threads about the latter are thin on the ground on this forum. Though, it might well be that I'm looking in the wrong places.

A hip flask solves that issue.

Not at the G

Been posted here before that peeps have been busted using a flask on camera, and they alert security to boot you out.

Have to do it in a way you don't get seen

Not at the G

Been posted here before that peeps have been busted using a flask on camera, and they alert security to boot you out.

Have to do it in a way you don't get seen
Take a bottle of coke into the dunny, drink half, pour in the grog.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
The beer remark was just an opening line.

Domestic tourists etc are being ripped right now. Its like commerce is blaming its customers for the lockdown

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I only just found out my Telstra AFL app ain't worth sh*t anymore, needing Kayo to watch footy.

The cost of living just keeps rising, soon you'll need to scan a QR code and watch several ads in order to simply flush the toilet.
What we need is some sort of social credit system where you get discounts on toilet flushing and Kayo for being a good citizen.

What we need is some sort of social credit system where you get discounts on toilet flushing and Kayo for being a good citizen.
From a social manipulation and management perspective the social credit score should directly relate to your investment in the sport.

The sport serves as a surrogate for our inherent tribalism to express itself and allows us to direct that competitive and confrontational energy at something controlled and ultimately not important, rather than towards systems of power.

So rewarding people for taking their medication would be more effective and denying them the medication until they perform the dance.

As far as price gouging goes, that's a result of everyone in the chain twisting the towel. Even in supermarkets there are usually rules for operating a shop that a percentage of your total revenue is paid to the center, not profit, and that you have to renovate every x number of years.

I would expect that any captive market will be exploited and the flow on down to the customers will feel it.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd just prefer a 70s style economy where a house cost as much as a big mac and you could go to the footy and have a few beers without needing to take out a 2nd mortgage.

Mar 16, 2007
Showers Stand
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd just prefer a 70s style economy where a house cost as much as a big mac and you could go to the footy and have a few beers without needing to take out a 2nd mortgage.
Too right.

While we are at it, I reckon the old man paid 19% interest rates for like one week in the 80s and I've never heard the end of it.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Too right.

While we are at it, I reckon the old man paid 19% interest rates for like one week in the 80s and I've never heard the end of it.
We paid something like that too.... but the house only cost $42,000 mind you. We were never worried about interest rates, we got by quite well, tell your old man to stop his whining.

RedStarUncle

Senior List
May 1, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast

If only those parts of the world that were impoverished or otherwise disadvantaged during the 70s would stop trying to improve their lot, it'd be great to re-set to economy based on the specific advantages to Australia at that time.

Back