Our best back 6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2006
This is the location section. 🤗
AFL Club
Melbourne
Part 2 of this series. Part 1 (midfielders) can be found here.

The poll was relatively conclusive, considering that six positions were available. The results (at time of writing):

=1. Nathan Jones (49)
=1. Bernie Vince (49)
3. Jack Viney (48)
4. Dom Tyson (47)
5. Max Gawn (45)
6. Angus Brayshaw (31)

7. Aaron vandenBerg (16)
8. Jack Watts (3)
9. Christian Salem (2)
=10. Jack Trengove (1)
=10. Clayton Oliver (1)
=10. Billy Stretch (1)
=10. Jake Melksham (1)

All other options polled zero votes.

As such, our current collective best 22 looks a little like this:

B: xxxxx - xxxxx - xxxxx
HB: xxxxx - xxxxx - xxxxx
C: Dom Tyson - Bernie Vince - Angus Brayshaw
HF: xxxxx - xxxxx - xxxxx
F: xxxxx - xxxxx - xxxxx
R: Max Gawn - Nathan Jones (c) - Jack Viney
I/C: xxxxx - xxxxx - xxxxx - xxxxx

E: xxxxx - xxxxx - xxxxx
In this exciting next instalment, we will be voting on our back six. There are, again, six positions available:
  • Left back pocket;
  • Full back;
  • Right back pocket;
  • Left half-back flank;
  • Centre half-back; and
  • Right half-back flank.
Again, I will note that this exercise is intended to assume that all players are entirely free of injury and suspension. However, vote however you like; even though I am going to include Jake Melksham in my side, for example, I understand that others may not. Again, due to poll constraints, I have omitted some players I would have rather included (Alex Neal-Bullen, Matt Jones, Dean Terlich).

Happy bickering. :footy:

Pointless including Melksham, unless it is looking as far ahead as 2017, which I assume is not the case.

I'll be voting on the basis he is N/A.

Seems to be the early consensus, and fair enough.

From my perspective, McDonald, Dunn, Garland, Salem and Jetta are all guaranteed starters in Round 1 on the assumption that they are all fit.

Seems to be the early consensus, and fair enough.

From my perspective, McDonald, Dunn, Garland, Salem and Jetta are all guaranteed starters in Round 1 on the assumption that they are all fit.
Agreed. The last spot is up for grabs, although I'd think atm it's between Grimes, Bugg and begrudgingly for some, Lumumba.

I like the look of White but he needs more time before being declared best 22. Training reports also suggest Wagner may be a smokey to push himself into the side earlier than expected.

B: Jetta - Dunn - Garland

HB: Lumumba - McDonald - Salem

Lumumba has the experience and hopefully with his second year in Melbourne's system he can have a bigger impact than 2015

Jetta - Dunn - Garland
Grimes - McDonald - Salem

I went with Grimes over Lumumba and Stretch as I think he is a more solid option. Doesn't have the run of H or the skills of Stretch but as a defender he's the best of the three and if he can polish his disposal up a bit I think he'll make a very handy part of the back 6. Haven't seen enough of Bugg to say where he'd fit.

Bugg in the backline? Not off the bench in the middle?

I put Grimes. Had a pretty good second half after being rubbish early and held his spot despite challengers. Not putting Melkshake due to drugs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should have posted this earlier for posterity's sake, but this is the 22 I had before this exercise started:

FB: Garland Dunn Jetta
HB: Salem T McDonald Bugg
C: Brayshaw Tyson Vince
HF: Watts Pedersen Vandenberg
FF: Garlett Hogan Kent
R: Gawn N Jones Viney

I/C: Frost Oliver Harmes Petracca

Par for the course so far. Wouldn't be surprised if others have Petracca in the forward 6 ahead of Vandenberg though.

Was tossing up lumumba and grimes personally, not sure what Bugg as done to jump them? Probably should have gone grimes as lumumba is more versatile off that bench.

Bugg needs to prove himself to get over grimes.

lalalalalalalalbumbmbmbma doesnt even rate in my eyes.

Edit:

1. *
    #39 Neville Jetta
    36 vote(s)
    97.3%
Who is the heathen that didnt vote for nev?

I had thought the same ... Interested to hear the thoughts of the 3 people who didn't vote for Garland as well.
TBH I think Garland is a bit too much of an in between kind of defender and aside from 2013/2014 has been pretty meh form wise most of his career. Dunn and McDonald are better tall options for now; Frost could take over too if he stays fit and Garland is ordinary playing on smalls (see: all those times we played him on Betts). His disposal and decision making at times can be atrocious too. Solid player, and a good 3rd tall for now, but has his share of flaws and depending on how you want the back 6 to go (taller, or more run/polish out of the back?) he'd could be out.

TBH I think Garland is a bit too much of an in between kind of defender and aside from 2013/2014 has been pretty meh form wise most of his career. Dunn and McDonald are better tall options for now; Frost could take over too if he stays fit and Garland is ordinary playing on smalls (see: all those times we played him on Betts). His disposal and decision making at times can be atrocious too. Solid player, and a good 3rd tall for now, but has his share of flaws and depending on how you want the back 6 to go (taller, or more run/polish out of the back?) he'd could be out.
Betts is the best small in the comp; pretty rough.

He isn't a world beater but I've seen plenty worse in defence (and not just He Who Must Be Responded To With Cats Hissing).

Betts is the best small in the comp; pretty rough.

He isn't a world beater but I've seen plenty worse in defence (and not just He Who Must Be Responded To With Cats Hissing).
Gillies?

images

Back