Let's discuss: How the AFL resumes

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
The National Cabinet met today to discuss the resumption of elite and community sporting events. Earlier today, the AFL had been confident of clear guidance from that meeting and had scheduled a conference call with all 18 club CEO's to discuss the outcome of the meeting.

As it turns out, no decisions were taken at the National Cabinet around clear date for the return of sport including AFL. Instead our State and Territory leaders have agreed upon a set of principles and a framework for the return of sport.

In turn, the AFL has delayed the scheduled conference with the clubs while they internally discuss the framework and its principles to understand what they mean for the AFL and the 18 clubs.

Essentially the National Cabinet has taken away the power of all State and National Sporting bodies to determine their own pathway, and has provided them with a road map. There are 3 levels which contain permissions for particular activities relevant to each sport, with level C being the resumption of full training and competition.

The Premier in each state will, in consultation with their Chief Health/Medical Officer determine the "level" or stage of each state. Principle 8 clearly outlines that the responsibility for determining the "level" will be the responsibility of each State Premier.

In addition to that, principle 11 states that if sporting bodies require exemptions (such as those relating to border controls) they will need to be discussed with relevant parties.

What does this mean for the resumption of AFL?

1588322110221.png

Framework principles:

1. Resumption of sport and recreation activities can contribute many health, economic, social and cultural benefits to Australian society emerging from the COVID-19 environment.

2. Resumption of sport and recreation activities should not compromise the health of individuals or the community.

3. Resumption of sport and recreation activities will be based on objective health information to ensure they are conducted safely and do not risk increased COVID-19 local transmission rates.

4. All decisions about resumption of sport and recreation activities must take place with careful reference to these National Principles following close consultation with Federal, State/Territory and/or Local Public Health Authorities, as relevant.

5. The AIS ‘Framework for Rebooting Sport in a COVID-19 Environment’ provides a guide for the reintroduction of sport and recreation in Australia, including high performance sport. The AIS Framework incorporates consideration of the differences between contact and non-contact sport and indoor and outdoor activity. Whilst the three phases A, B and C of the AIS Framework provide a general guide, individual jurisdictions may provide guidance on the timing of introduction of various levels of sport participation with regard to local epidemiology, risk mitigation strategies and public health capacity.

6. International evidence to date is suggestive that outdoor activities are a lower risk setting for COVID-19 transmission. There are no good data on risks of indoor sporting activity but, at this time, the risk is assumed to be greater than for outdoor sporting activity, even with similar mitigation steps taken.

7. All individuals who participate in, and contribute to, sport and recreation will be considered in resumption plans, including those at the high performance/professional level, those at the community competitive level, and those who wish to enjoy passive (non-contact) individual sports and recreation.

8. Resumption of community sport and recreation activity should take place in a staged fashion with an initial phase of small group (10) activities including full contact training/competition in sport. Individual jurisdictions will determine progression through these phases, taking account of local epidemiology, risk mitigation strategies and public health capability.

a. This includes the resumption of children’s outdoor sport with strict physical distancing measures for non-sporting attendees such as parents.

b. This includes the resumption of outdoor recreational activities including (but not limited to) outdoor-based personal training and boot camps, golf, fishing, bush-walking, swimming, etc.

9. Significantly enhanced risk mitigation (including avoidance and physical distancing) must be applied to all indoor activities associated with outdoor sporting codes (e.g. club rooms, training facilities, gymnasia and the like).

10. For high performance and professional sporting organisations, the regime underpinned in the AIS Framework is considered a minimum baseline standard required to be met before the resumption of training and match play, noting most sports and participants are currently operating at level A of the AIS Framework.

11. If sporting organisations are seeking specific exemptions in order to recommence activity, particularly with regard to competitions, they are required to engage with, and where necessary seek approvals from, the respective State/Territory and/or Local Public Health Authorities regarding additional measures to reduce the risk of COVID 19 spread.

12. At all times sport and recreation organisations must respond to the directives of Public Health Authorities. Localised outbreaks may require sporting organisations to again restrict activity and those organisations must be ready to respond accordingly. The detection of a positive COVID-19 case in a sporting or recreation club or organisation will result in a standard public health response, which could include quarantine of a whole team or large group, and close contacts, for the required period.

13. The risks associated with large gatherings are such that, for the foreseeable future, elite sports, if recommenced, should do so in a spectator-free environment with the minimum support staff available to support the competition. Community sport and recreation activities should limit those present to the minimum required to support the participants (e.g. one parent or carer per child if necessary).

14. The sporting environment (training and competition venues) should be assessed to ensure precautions are taken to minimise risk to those participating in sport and those attending sporting events as spectators (where and when permissible).

15. The safety and well-being of the Australian community will be the priority in any further and specific decisions about the resumption of sport, which will be considered by the COVID-19 Sports and Health Committee.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
It will start June 11 or 18. No hubs. Normal rounds running Thursday to Monday.
Thurs 7.20pm - 7
Fri 7.50pm - 7
Sat 2.10pm - Fox
Sat 4.40pm - Fox
Sat 7.50pm - 7
Sun 2.10pm - Fox
Sun 4.40pm - Fox
Sun 7.20pm - 7
Mon 7.20pm - Fox
GF 24/10 or 31/10.

I still think to give them extra time

Round 2 (note i have no idea who played who in round 1 so don't get shitty at me if teams have already played)
Local Derby's for the interstate teams
Vic do whatever

Round 3 (WA and SA are have basically eradicated Covid already & NSW/QLD will have nrl teams flying in and out anyway)
West Coast V Adelaide
Freo v Port
Brisbane v GWS
GC v Sydney
Vic teams do whatever again

Round 4
Play the other team from the state you played in round 3

Gives an extra 3 weeks before teams are flying everywhere business as usual. And the states with closed borders might be more willing to compromise given the extra time.

proka123

All Australian
Apr 6, 2009
Moe
AFL Club
Melbourne
Interesting. If they are aiming for an October 31st GF, then they can play it round by round, week by week if they begin on June 11th. The only bye would be the one before the finals (I think that's the only one the league will need this year, really). It just depends on how obsessed the league are with the shorter quarters I guess. Even if they start June 18, or 25th even - what's the bother in finishing early to late November if the original target is October 31?

I hate short quarters personally, I can take everything else that happens this year apart from that tbh. The games were done in the blink of an eye in round 1 and some of the scores were embarrassingly low (Dogs 33, Suns 29). Probably this and zero finals crowds will be my big vices for this year.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
The whole issue with restarting the season is the travel as I see it. Having 18 clubs travel around the country could be a disaster and a very costly exercise.
So why not just limit it in the first month.
WA and SA seem to be doing well with the virus so why can’t those 4 clubs play each other twice over the first month of resuming.
NSW and Queensland do the same.
This means only 8 clubs are travelling which they are all used to doing In the first month and a bit of restarting.
This leaves the Vic clubs the first 6 rounds to just play each other and not have to travel.
If they are talking a July start this will get us to August where things could be much different by then and also Would have 6-7 rounds under their belt.
Thoughts?

Corkintheocean

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
I still think to give them extra time

Round 2 (note i have no idea who played who in round 1 so don't get shitty at me if teams have already played)
Local Derby's for the interstate teams
Vic do whatever

Round 3 (WA and SA are have basically eradicated Covid already & NSW/QLD will have nrl teams flying in and out anyway)
West Coast V Adelaide
Freo v Port
Brisbane v GWS
GC v Sydney
Vic teams do whatever again

Round 4
Play the other team from the state you played in round 3

Gives an extra 3 weeks before teams are flying everywhere business as usual. And the states with closed borders might be more willing to compromise given the extra time.
I think this will be about right. Makes the most sense. Surely they wouldn't postpone the one derby/showdown of the year until the end of the season on the off chance crowds are allowed back.

Back