RoarLike44In24

Senior List
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Adelaide v Port Adelaide
West Coast v Fremantle
Geelong v Hawthorn

These are the rivalries on another level beyond that of any other. These games should be attributed glory befitting their status.

Every single season they should be played twice. No exceptions.

Except for these special rivalry games there should be no home and away. The focus should be on getting as close to 50% seats filled by both teams as possible.

Holy s**t that noise would be insane.

Much better than one team dominating the other in attendance because its a home game for one when in truth, it's a home game for both.

You're welcome.

Last edited:

no Q clash?
I actually think the q clash has alot of potential if both teams were firing at the same time.

As for the OP, I think fan violence is enough of an issue now that a 50-50 split of fans at the listed rivalries warrants great concern.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood’s biggest rivalry game is still v Carlton.

The MCG are predicting 70k for the clash this week despite it being 17th v 2nd. I don’t think it’ll quite reach that mark but the fact that it’s a possibility is illuminating. There is no other matchup that can expect that crowd level when one or both teams are terrible unless it’s a special promotion, public holiday etc.

Were Collingwood and Essendon even considered rivals before ANZAC day?

Nah. There's no real animosity between our clubs. Big clubs, big crowds but not a deep seated rivalry that I've ever been aware of.

Carlton are the big ones. That runs deep. But the Blues have been a dumpster fire for as long as some BF posters have been alive, so that has taken the edge off. Supporters 40+ still feel it though. I know I do, which is why I'm still nervous about playing the Blues this weekend. Never happy until a win is secured.

You guys were obviously rivals back in the day and that seems to have been rekindled for some people through your recent flag, which is cool.

If you go right back, we had a fierce rivalry with Melbourne too. That's died right off due to the Dees struggling so much for so long also.

I guess the takeaway is that both teams being competitive stokes a rivalry and keeps it at the forefront of people's minds. Ala Geelong and Hawthorn. Both have been strong on field lately which means a lot of great, intense battles. Helps keep the fire burning.

We’ve been chilling in the wasteland since about 2004 - feel free to come join us ;)
Come on, It’s not so bad out here..... is there any truth to the rumours that the earth is actually round, and that the AFL schedules a finals series for some teams to play in after the home-and-away season?

The problem with rivalries is that they shift with the winds. The derby and showdown rivalries are pretty constant, but they are locked in twice a year already.

Of the others, Hawthorn vs Geelong is the strongest over the past decade. But another decade? Who knows.

Before that is was Essendon vs Hawthorn in the mid 80s. Or Carlton/Richmond in the early 80s. Essendon/North and Essendon/West Coast (Sheedy really had a stretch there where he was getting up everyone's nose) in the mid 90s. Carlton/Essendon had a stretch at the turn of the century (I'd still argue the 1999 preliminary final was the most anticipated and dramatic non grand-final of all time), West Coast and Sydney in the 2000s, etc.

But Carlton vs Collingwood is still the deepest and most entrenched of all. That's a blood feud that goes back more than a century, and weaves in a host of factors including mutual success, geography, religion, social class, and culture. Collingwood have been beating us up for nearly 2 decades, we haven't played them in a final since 1988 (incidentally the first game of footy I ever went to) and their supporters still acknowledge Carlton as their biggest rival. A Carlton/Collingwood grand final would break everything AFL, imo. 121,000 people (more than 10% of the population of Melbourne at the time) attended the 1970 grand final - that's more than 50 years ago.

So yeah, it would be good for the AFL to include rivalries, but its pretty hard to lock in stone something that'll change with in 5 years anyway.

We wouldn’t be Collingwoods biggest rival. We probably would hate them as they’ve done damage to us. We wouldn’t be their cup of tea either, but I’d say they’d still hate Carlton. Much like hawks and Roos hate us. If I had to make a rivalry round i would say Essendon and carlton, coll and rich, Geel hawks, derby’s ect. Both teams feel like they owe eachother.

If I was to think personally about the club I want to defeat more than any other it’s Collingwood, the old rivalry is simmering, I just hope we can get our team on the field so we can have a competitive game next time around.

Adelaide v Port Adelaide
West Coast v Fremantle
Geelong v Hawthorn
Collingwood v Essendon

These are the rivalries on another level beyond that of any other. These games should be attributed glory befitting their status.

Every single season they should be played twice. No exceptions.

Except for these special rivalry games there should be no home and away. The focus should be on getting as close to 50% seats filled by both teams as possible.

Holy **** that noise would be insane.

Much better than one team dominating the other in attendance because its a home game for one when in truth, it's a home game for both.

You're welcome.

Eagles have 60k+ members
Dockers have 55k+ members

Last Derbys were 58k, 57k, 56k and that's with Freo being "average" in the league.

How would you explain to members of either clubs that they are paying for 11 home games but have to share one of those games 50/50 with the other club and that they aren't guaranteed a ticket that they've paid for?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back