Let's get serious about rivalries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagles have 60k+ members
Dockers have 55k+ members

Last Derbys were 58k, 57k, 56k and that's with Freo being "average" in the league.

How would you explain to members of either clubs that they are paying for 11 home games but have to share one of those games 50/50 with the other club and that they aren't guaranteed a ticket that they've paid for?

Maybe agree to share both games, not a home game, an away game ... too hard? Season seated members get 11 games still.

We actually polled this last year (polled all 18 clubs)

Carlton: 70%
Hawthorn : 23%
Collingwood: 5%

No single club is our “biggest rival”: 2%

Every other option: 0%

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/biggest-rival.1195224/
As much as I woudn't wanna see either Essendon or Carlton win a grand final, a grand final between them would be great just the fact that the other club would win their 17th premiership against the other would cause some of the greatest melts

Maybe agree to share both games, not a home game, an away game ... too hard? Season seated members get 11 games still.

Not sure i follow? an away game is still a home game for one of the clubs? if the idea is to give 50% of the tickets to the "other" team then seated members on both sides are going to miss out either way.

Collingwood and Carlton are the biggest rivals and biggest clubs from Victoria. If these two teams played in a grand final it will be like no other.

Woah easy on....

If Carlton were any good, Carlton vs Collingwood would be the biggest rivalry. Right now it’s hard to say, was probably Geelong vs Hawks over the last few years

With us, it’s Carlton.
History demands it to be so.
We have them this week and they are not playing well.
But I just get sort of nervous and tense regardless.
Don’t feel like this with anyone else.

I (soft whisper) wouldn’t mind Carlton being good again - I miss the full on rivalry and atmosphere at our games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah. There's no real animosity between our clubs. Big clubs, big crowds but not a deep seated rivalry that I've ever been aware of.

Carlton are the big ones. That runs deep. But the Blues have been a dumpster fire for as long as some BF posters have been alive, so that has taken the edge off. Supporters 40+ still feel it though. I know I do, which is why I'm still nervous about playing the Blues this weekend. Never happy until a win is secured.

You guys were obviously rivals back in the day and that seems to have been rekindled for some people through your recent flag, which is cool.

If you go right back, we had a fierce rivalry with Melbourne too. That's died right off due to the Dees struggling so much for so long also.

I guess the takeaway is that both teams being competitive stokes a rivalry and keeps it at the forefront of people's minds. Ala Geelong and Hawthorn. Both have been strong on field lately which means a lot of great, intense battles. Helps keep the fire burning.

If you actually go right back Fitzroy and Collingwood were the fiercest of rivals in the competition.

Eagles have 60k+ members
Dockers have 55k+ members

Last Derbys were 58k, 57k, 56k and that's with Freo being "average" in the league.

How would you explain to members of either clubs that they are paying for 11 home games but have to share one of those games 50/50 with the other club and that they aren't guaranteed a ticket that they've paid for?

Cos it happens at both games bro. Or do a hunger games setup for tickets, i dont know bro, start selling 10 game memberships. You know the box? Get your thinking outside of it. This is about the spectacle.

Cos it happens at both games bro. Or do a hunger games setup for tickets, i dont know bro, start selling 10 game memberships. You know the box? Get your thinking outside of it. This is about the spectacle.

Or you could not * with something that’s not broken?

Not sure i follow? an away game is still a home game for one of the clubs? if the idea is to give 50% of the tickets to the "other" team then seated members on both sides are going to miss out either way.

There are two games, same as now, same number of seats, members only get to go to one now ..... the seating arrangements are all that changes. Some members get to go to the first game, others to the 2nd.

Last edited:

People struggle with change - home & away lost its original meaning with the national comp & ground rationaiisation in Melbourne back to the 1960s.
Its only about membership these days & its a concept that needs attention, currently the AFL call the tune.

Whilst a fierce state rivalry, I don't much rate the derbies. Essendon and Sydney are the first rivals I think of, and along with Port are often our bogey teams so the scalp is never taken for granted. I hate Essendon and Port when we play them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back