Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Worsfold was a terrific appointment and has done a great job since taking the reigns. The team were playing to win and having Goddard loose worked quite well in my opinion anyway.
Poor kicking cost us the game. I suspect the boys would not have dropped their heads if they had been in front at half time.

As I said regardless of who was coaching they were not coaching to win yesterday. An extra man in defence from the outset that didn't work and they persisted with. Wasn't helping us defend and made going forward a disaster. No clamping down on rich or Rockliff. The lack of tactics have to be questioned. If you read back through last years posts I was one of the first to criticise Hird for his team selection and tactics. Hird's fanboys? What a childish comment. I wanted him judged as a football coach and not on the other matter. And likewise I'm entitled to question Worsfold as coach when he has a bad day. And I much prefer winning to draft picks - the tanking of Carlton and Melbourne never helped them so don't want Essendon doing similar.

And yes I was against Worsfold appointment for the following reasons:
1. Recycled coaches coming back from being out of the coaching role more often than not don't work.
2. Worsfold oversaw a poor culture at west coast and didn't do anything to rectify it at the time. Winning overtook everything including the long term health of his players.
3. Worsfold will only be a short term coach.
4. Could have used a long term option.
5. Believed there were better options available.
6. Concerned about the AFL influence in appointing him.
7. Concerned that Paul Little influenced the decision when he was jumping ship.

All the above is very real.
8. Was not Hird.

You're so transparent. If you don't want to be known as a Hird fanboi then don't act like one. You want to talk childish comments when you refer to the coach as 'Worstfold'. :$

If we kick straight yesterday, we win. Simple as that. The fact you think we were actually tanking is laughable tin foil hattery.

I agree that you're entitled to question the coaching but not with the subtle and ongoing subtext that typifies any comment you make on the subject. If that's going to be the flavour of your posting from here on in you can take your tin foil hat and head over to BB. It was bad enough when the board disintegrated with Hird v Bomber posting. I'm not going to let you try to continue to carry a torch for Hird and risk dragging the board back down into that crap when the great majority of us are moving on. Consider yourself on notice.

Just on the coaches, this group in a year where we have 1 win and will most likely win the spoon have the team accomplishing these past few weeks the following-

28 scoring shots
28 scoring shots
31 scoring shots

Get a full side back and not have our Backline consisting of a 16 game player in Hartley, Ambrose and an Aging Gwilt to hopefully limit the opposition some more and in isolation those are some solid numbers.

Whatever they are doing (kicking issues aside) it is generating shots on goal. Already an improvement over the start of the year and is a cause for some optimism going forward.

Just on the coaches, this group in a year where we have 1 win and will most likely win the spoon have the team accomplishing these past few weeks the following-

28 scoring shots
28 scoring shots
31 scoring shots

Get a full side back and not have our Backline consisting of a 16 game player in Hartley, Ambrose and an Aging Gwilt to hopefully limit the opposition some more and in isolation those are some solid numbers.

Whatever they are doing (kicking issues aside) it is generating shots on goal. Already an improvement over the start of the year and is a cause for some optimism going forward.

Exactly my thoughts after the weekend - disappointing to lose to the Lions but many KPIs are trending the right way, plus the youth are looking good.

You simply can not rely on anything this year when making judgement. They have not been working on much of the game plan for next year in games, no one has tagged all year and a few blokes will not be in the same spots next year.
The only issue i have is i think there could have been a bit more experiment over the year.
We have seen Dempsey and Ashby as defenders, why not several games in the forward half.
Move Zaka to half back if he is being tagged.
Try a few of the young blokes in a run with role at either level.
I think the young players have been handled well. They have had exposure when ready and will be better for the experience next year.

1. Recycled coaches coming back from being out of the coaching role more often than not don't work.
2. Worsfold oversaw a poor culture at west coast and didn't do anything to rectify it at the time. Winning overtook everything including the long term health of his players.

They are valid concerns however I would like to think the club went through those issues in the interview process, regarding the lack of action on the poor culture, as long as lessons have been learned then I think there could be positives in that experience, as he was a creature of that club, it might be the case that he didn't really see the problems and for the most part he didn't cause it, listening to players, they say he has been a positive influence on them so at this stage I give him a tick, if in twelve months we are sitting last with only 1 win then I would be asking questions.

The only thing I will say about Hird (the coach) listening to players like Fanty, Woosha seems to be a better people manager than Hirdy was, in one of his interviews on the club's website he basically said that, now it is possible that he was talking about his SANFL coaches but it did seem like he preferred Woosha over Hird.

A bad team will have a bad game sometimes. Often even. It's just the way it is.

If you follow the tanking logic to its fullest conclusion, then every loss by a supposedly superior side to an inferior team could have a question mark against it. Were St Kilda tanking when they played us in 2009-10? They were far superior, yet...

We had a crack at the top sides yes when we were unlikely to win. We come up against the side in contention for no.1 pick starting as clear favourites to win for the first time this season, don't give a Yelp and have questionable tactics. I am being objective about it. Whether it was Knights, Hird, Thompson or Worsfold I don't like what happened yesterday. I hope it doesn't trigger an integrity investigation.

Maaaate..come on. Investigation?

Turn.it.up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I said regardless of who was coaching they were not coaching to win yesterday. An extra man in defence from the outset that didn't work and they persisted with. Wasn't helping us defend and made going forward a disaster. No clamping down on rich or Rockliff. The lack of tactics have to be questioned. If you read back through last years posts I was one of the first to criticise Hird for his team selection and tactics. Hird's fanboys? What a childish comment. I wanted him judged as a football coach and not on the other matter. And likewise I'm entitled to question Worsfold as coach when he has a bad day. And I much prefer winning to draft picks - the tanking of Carlton and Melbourne never helped them so don't want Essendon doing similar.

Point number 2 is so far from reality it's not funny.

You're starting to annoy me now..

We had a crack at the top sides yes when we were unlikely to win. We come up against the side in contention for no.1 pick starting as clear favourites to win for the first time this season, don't give a Yelp and have questionable tactics. I am being objective about it. Whether it was Knights, Hird, Thompson or Worsfold I don't like what happened yesterday. I hope it doesn't trigger an integrity investigation.

Yeah an investigation. For a team that had 3 more scoring shots and 12 more inside 50's.

Whether it has had any real impact on results is far from certain, and I very much doubt that it will matter in the long run, but winning has not struck me as a priority.

What saves us is the capitulations and skill errors that kept margins wide enough apart.

As far as an investigation is concerned, the danger comes if we have already struck or have been discussing a deal with GC to trade #1 for those two top 10 picks that was being mentioned on the radio this morning. The AFL then has a perception problem.

Pretty sure Worsfold addressed the Rich situation well in his presser. Walla was on him, if Walla capitalizes and kicks 3 Brisbane suddenly had the choice, either not be as attacking through Rich or continue to be attacking and we will work through Walla.

Whether it was the right thing to do or not is up for debate.

I think its more a reflection on a rookie player than a coach trying to Tank.

This is ridiculous. Now we are tanking... We all knew what would happen the moment the players were banned. The situation we're in is unprecedented. Wake up, Woosha is treating this year as a free hit to try things and youngsters.

Can't say I was all the stoked that we hired him but you have to at least wait until this time next year before having any real assessment.
Can you even judge him fairly then? For heppell, hooker, colyer etc it's a new gameplan & different playing group. Fitting it all together won't happen immediately.

Can you even judge him fairly then? For heppell, hooker, colyer etc it's a new gameplan & different playing group. Fitting it all together won't happen immediately.
Agreed. I doubt we'll fly out of the blocks, but I get the feeling some might be expecting that we will.

Great if we do, obviously, but things will take time to settle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back