Let's smile politely and pretend another Adam Goodes award makes sense

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
I don't know anything about art, but I am extremely racist. So this Archibald to me looks like yet another political pick for Goodes. Or maybe just regular AFL favouritism such as he would get on brownlow night.

In the year of George Floyd and BLM protests I guess this was always going to win.

I'm going to pretend it's good.

images

I don't know anything about art, but I am extremely racist. So this Archibald to me looks like yet another political pick for Goodes. Or maybe just regular AFL favouritism such as he would get on brownlow night.

In the year of George Floyd and BLM protests I guess this was always going to win.

I'm going to pretend it's good.

images

Hey FU. My 10yo painted that.

As someone who has worked hard to have pieces displayed in exhibitions this makes me sad.

No problem with the message but there are loads of people related to the issue that would have made a better subject for a painting.

I just hope the AFL does the right thing and purchases it for a few million and hangs it up at headquarters.

They SHOULD buy it.

And build a special gallery to display it in, along with that statue of that rooly brave chick who does the hello boys when she roosts a mighty kick 35 meters.

A gallery somewhere in Patagonia.

Last edited:
When you look at the subjects of the Archiwoke Prize finalists for 2020, there is a common thread:
- Prominent left wing LGBTQI 'journalist' and activist for refugees, David Marr
- Prominent left wing actor and hater of all things Conservative, Magda Szubanski
- Current leader of the ALP, Anthony Albanese
- Self portrait by Abdul Abdullah, prominent artist and activist for minorities, with a 'post 9/11 mindset', whatever that means
- Adam Spencer, prominent JJJ presenter, mathematician and climate change activist, spruiker of extra funding for the ABC (which already receives over $1 billion per year of taxpayer dollars to agitate for fringe left wing causes)
- Barry Jones, activist, progressive, President of the ALP, pretentious academic
- Jacinda Ardern, NZ Prime Minister, poster child of the Left, currently has her citizens in a hard lockdown even though they have 0 cases of Coronavirus
- Annabel Crabb, ABC TV presenter
- And, of course, Adam Goodes

It begs the question. Why are artists in this country so out of touch with mainstream Australian political values? It seems that we, the general public, just keep getting it wrong by voting in Conservative governments.

And finally, I put my hand up and admit I know absolutely nothing about art. But could someone please explain how a finger painting of Adam Goodes was deemed a superior work of art, compared to this self-portrait. I don't know you, Tsering Hannaford, but if the world wasn't going so batshit crazy with the wokeness, you're the rightful Archibold Prize winner of 2020.

Hannaford_Tsering_ARCHIE2020_SID79758.jpg.493x605_q85.jpg

I'm genuinely interested in any arguments out there as to how the Goodes painting is technically better than this incredible piece of art.

When you look at the subjects of the Archiwoke Prize finalists for 2020, there is a common thread:
- Prominent left wing actor and hater of all things Conservative, Magda Szubanski
- Self portrait by Abdul Abdullah, prominent artist and activist for minorities, with a 'post 9/11 mindset', whatever that means
- Adam Spencer, prominent JJJ presenter, mathematician and climate change activist, spruiker of extra funding for the ABC (which already receives over $1 billion per year of taxpayer dollars to agitate for fringe left wing causes)
- Barry Jones, activist, progressive, President of the ALP, pretentious academic
- Jacinda Ardern, NZ Prime Minister, poster child of the Left, currently has her citizens in a hard lockdown even though they have 0 cases of Coronavirus

It begs the question. Why are artists in this country so out of touch with mainstream Australian political values? It seems that we, the general public, just keep getting it wrong by voting in Conservative governments.

And finally, I put my hand up and admit I know absolutely nothing about art. But could someone please explain how a finger painting of Adam Goodes was deemed a superior work of art, compared to this self-portrait. I don't know you, Tsering Hannaford, but if the world wasn't going so batshit crazy with the wokeness, you're the rightful Archibold Prize winner of 2020.

View attachment 972281

I'm genuinely interested in any arguments out there as to how the Goodes painting is technically better than this incredible piece of art.
Triggered?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 972281

Nice melt :$

View attachment 972281

Lack of trans representation is worrying and potentially problematic

View attachment 972281

You forgot the portraits of white man Bruce Pascoe who masquerades as an aboriginal (case of "black facing"?) who wrote the fictional Dark Emu. The portrait of him was fully "blacked him up". Just a disgrace.

The art world is extremely cliquey and basically amounts to who you know not what you know. Couple that with people falling over themselves nowadays to prove how non-racist, non-sexist etc. they are and the result is hollow gestures like this one.

It was abundantly obvious this was coming when The Age ran a story on this year's Archibald entries a few weeks back before the winner was announced and almost every single entry they mentioned was by an Aboriginal artist. Given no Aboriginal has ever won the award before, either they've suddenly and dramatically become far and away the best painters in the country or its a clear cut case of reverse-racism. Which is basically racism with a "positive" spin, but still actual racism - you know, the kind of thing people like me have been told their entire lives is bad.

Its all a joke, being played on future generations who'll inherit a culture millions of times shittier than the one I grew up in. Blame ******* Baby Boomers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back