Let's talk about... Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

I've given a permanent thead ban and an infraction against a certain poster on here who thinks he can abuse other members and post disgusting s**t about our players. Be reasonable to each other and our players thanks folks.

We are not Richmond!

Bailey Smith is just down on confidence

Looks like the ‘Cotton-On’ contract and ‘life’s pressures’ have turned him into a front running soft-cokc. Treloar looks like Robbie Muir compared to him.

Private school pampers these kids, everything is too hard.
Didn’t Libba go to a Private School?
The same Private School as Mitch Wallis?
Didn’t we send JUH to the Private School across the road?
The same Private School Liam Jones went to?
Didn’t Bontempelli go to Marcellin?

Last edited:

He hasn’t run into a down and dirty contest with the intention of ripping the ball out and dishing out to one of his team mates since 2021. I blame an immature mind. Social media and capitalism in general.
All these so called players are overpaid. and because of that you get players ( or so called players ) like smith who don't have to try. he could leave the game now and be set for life. - unlike people who bust their arses for 50+ years and get sweet FA compared to these individuals. then the league / clubs have the audacity to cry poor and beg for more money.

No he's not soft he isn't setting the world on fire but hes still in our top ten players and is a gun and he still played a decent game today should delete this thread immediately

I love how we haven't even bothered with an autopsy thread after a win, just straight to potting one of our own. What a disgraceful team board we have become.

Yes he is soft. Always has been. Has seriously stagnated as a player since his epic 2 finals in 2021.

I love how we haven't even bothered with an autopsy thread after a win, just straight to potting one of our own. What a disgraceful team board we have become.

Yes he is soft. Always has been. Has seriously stagnated as a player since his epic 2 finals in 2021.
1. I started this post at half time
2. I agree - he looks a little soft, or poorly instructed on what to do when a ball is there to be won and not simply received off Libba or Bont

Didn’t Libba go to a Private School?
The same Private School as Mitch Wallis?
Didn’t we send JUH to the Private School across the road?
The same Private School Liam Jones went to?
Didn’t Bontempelli go to Marcellin?
Pretty sure our premiership winning captain was a Geelong Grammar boy, that King Charles went to!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't believe he's soft, his attack on the footy is good. However I do think his defensive game, especially tackling and pressure are poor. He has a lot of broken tackles that frustrate me.

I won't get started on his kick and hope.

He's a great runner and can break a game with his power running, just needs to get sort himself out so that he's a threat defensively.

Pretty sure our premiership winning captain was a Geelong Grammar boy, that King Charles went to!
Outrageous really. The OP is often outraged by schooling.
I have public school friends, and don’t see it as a big deal.

Last edited:
Is this thread an opposition supporter troll job?

Seriously, who gives a *. He’s not an inside player and never will be. We should be more concerned with his lack of impact away from the contest.

His best footy was the first half of ‘22

Are they the ones that you were scared of playing footy against?
When I was 13 yes. We heard the State School kids would beat us up because they were hard nuts.
30 goals later I understood.
This thread confirms what I learnt then.
The Sun Shield was a fun comp.

Last edited:
I've found the need to target him with a specific comment on the last 2 game day threads. I normally reserve that for McComb and Hannan so I presume he wasn't far behind at the specific moment.

He does need to lift.

His desire to run defensively, do second and third efforts is deplorable. His possessions are suspect, he is our new hunter, gets little chip kicks on the boundary line.

His spot should be questioned. let's face it, the kid has ability but his deficiencies are not being addressed by the club and coaching staff quick enough.

As a former teacher in public schools, I find it sad that footy has been replaced by soccer as the dominant sport, particularly in Melbourne, and the AFL doesn't seem to care. It has become a privatel & Catholic school sport. The percentage of draftees from public schools in Melbourne must be pretty low & there's not much of a pathway, apart from winning a scholarship to Xav or Scotch to make their team better. Heaps of kids do Auskick but I don't how many follow it into juniors.

But that's not to say that there a bunch of tough nut 17 year olds walking the streets of Heidelberg West waiting to harden up our midfield. I don't believe your background equates to hardness on the field. Nor would making Bailey Smith
do a plumbers apprenticeship make him a harder player.

Though I do remember that in the Eade era players were asked to do something constructive on their days off, such as a uni or Tafe course. My faulty memory recalls that Will Minson and a few others did garden landscaping.

Yep, AFL footballers are soft, and the Public School boys who post abusive comments on the Internet are the genuine hard nuts of our society.
I think you misunderstand my comment, either deliberately or not.

Of course AFL footballers are not soft compared to most members of society.

However, compared to other AFL footballers it's a pretty easy call to say Smith is a bit soft.

Is this thread an opposition supporter troll job?

Seriously, who gives a *. He’s not an inside player and never will be. We should be more concerned with his lack of impact away from the contest.
Yes his impact outside the contest is poor also at the moment, but as our great mate Macca once said; there are some non-negotiables. Lost count how many times he was seagulling around the back of a pack instead of attacking the ball today.
Dale, Richards, Daniel, Baker, Scott, etc etc are not inside players but when there's a ball to be won, they'll attempt to get it. Smith will wait for someone else to do the hard work for him.

I'd back him in to turn around his impact on the outside, as he's a very talented player. Not sure on the other stuff.

I suspect his defensive spirit was probably impacted by a few suspensions he attracted a little while back.

His defensive shortcomings are less my concern right now though than his terrible kicking. He is currently responsible for the worst kicking inside 50 from an established midfield star that i can ever recall. He's in such terrible form. I hope he can pull his way out of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back