Let's talk about... Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure we’re now guaranteed to be non the wiser about contract until late in the year and any chance of resigning is out the window until then.
Other way around I'd think. Clear up the contract s**t now so he can focus on rehab

Did I just see Bailey Smith on TV at the Whitten Oval carrying a Coles paper bag? Doesn't Cotton On make carrying bags?

If you see 16 year old girls this summer carrying their stuff in Coles paper bags, you'll know why.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Lots of rambling here when asked about his future, doesn’t sound ideal

He's about to head into a pre Christmas surgery and was door stopped. He's also just had a good deal of the leverage that he had in contract negotiations collapse out from underneath him.

Of course he's going to remain noncommittal. He'd be a fool to mumble anything beyond what he said at this point.

As an aside, If we were going to take the words attributed to him by Cleary literally. Then "the daily 12 month commitment to teammates" takes his contract extension well beyond the trade period.

One thing is certain though. With Smith out of the game for up to 12 months we won't have to put up with as much media discussion of his form bookended by leading questions about his contract status whenever he's fronted by a media hack looking for a soundbite.

Something that then gets ported into here and parsed into whatever people want to read into them.

Thankfully we still have a resolution of JUH and English's contracts for that.

So, Good times ahead.

Lots of rambling here when asked about his future, doesn’t sound ideal

Aside from the above valid points, Baz has a level of internet fame where attention = money.

The more media attention he gets, the more social media clicks, Instagram followers etc, which in turn leads to more influencer cache, corporate sponsors, brand ambassadorships etc.

By giving a clear indication of his future and quelling media brouhaha, he is literally costing himself a lot of money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did I just see Bailey Smith on TV at the Whitten Oval carrying a Coles paper bag? Doesn't Cotton On make carrying bags?

If you see 16 year old girls this summer carrying their stuff in Coles paper bags, you'll know why.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app
You’ve got it wrong mate…Bailey Smith is ripped and those paper Coles bags just rip….thats the only comparison

If we cannot afford any of our expensive young guns I am happy for Smith to be the one moved on. First year after an ACL is usually unproductive and I have not been impressed, to the point of paying the farm, since 2021. Keep English, JUH, etc etc. Who know’s, we may have drafted his equivalent player of Smith this pre season?

If we cannot afford any of our expensive young guns I am happy for Smith to be the one moved on. First year after an ACL is usually unproductive and I have not been impressed, to the point of paying the farm, since 2021. Keep English, JUH, etc etc. Who know’s, we may have drafted his equivalent player of Smith this pre season?
Smith is a ruckman

You mean Sanders? We need a couple of young midfielders so both would be ideal.

Smith is a ruckman

You mean Sanders? We need a couple of young midfielders so both would be ideal.
Correction - yes Sanders. I’m hoping he can fill the hole that Smith leaves with midfield rotations. Westy as well who I have always rated highly.

Correction - yes Sanders. I’m hoping he can fill the hole that Smith leaves with midfield rotations. Westy as well who I have always rated highly.

Drafting Sanders certainly cushions the blow if Smith leaves. If not for that our midfield pipeline would be nonexistent.

Drafting Sanders certainly cushions the blow if Smith leaves. If not for that our midfield pipeline would be nonexistent.
That may have been a big part of the thinking behind cashing in 3 first rounders in the trade period.

I was concerned that we may have overpaid, even allowing for the defensive strategies we had to have in matching a Croft bid. I'm still not totally sold on Croft. However I'm now much more relaxed about that after hearing these early reports of Sanders' impressive track form.

So I now need to move onto something else to fret about...

Maybe it can be the prospect of Sanders becoming a genuine superstar and then losing him to Scrag's mob (the Tassy Devils) just as he nears the peak of his powers. And then getting piss-poor compo for him. 😰

Or if I need something in the shorter term, maybe it's the risk that we go into the 2024 draft with no first rounders. 😰
Do I need to fret that Baz might end up staying? :think:

That may have been a big part of the thinking behind cashing in 3 first rounders in the trade period.

I was concerned that we may have overpaid, even allowing for the defensive strategies we had to have in matching a Croft bid. I'm still not totally sold on Croft. However I'm now much more relaxed about that after hearing these early reports of Sanders' impressive track form.

So I now need to move onto something else to fret about...

Maybe it can be the prospect of Sanders becoming a genuine superstar and then losing him to Scrag's mob (the Tassy Devils) just as he nears the peak of his powers. And then getting piss-poor compo for him. 😰

Or if I need something in the shorter term, maybe it's the risk that we go into the 2024 draft with no first rounders. 😰
Do I need to fret that Baz might end up staying? :think:

Imagine if Baz and Sanders end up both being one-club players!

It's too hard imagining that tbh - as Bulldogs supporters it's ingrained to be pessimistic, borderline fatalistic.

Maybe 'Cede Nullis' should be changed to 'Spe Semper'? (I tried translating Optimism Forever, but I keep getting Always Hope when I translate it back - not exactly what I'm after!)

It's too hard imagining that tbh - as Bulldogs supporters it's ingrained to be pessimistic, borderline fatalistic.

Maybe 'Cede Nullis' should be changed to 'Spe Semper'? (I tried translating Optimism Forever, but I keep getting Always Hope when I translate it back - not exactly what I'm after!)
Well yes there is always hope. It has sustained generations of Bulldog fans. And footy fans generally.

In the case of the Bulldog fans, hanging onto hope has defined us. Those spineless types who can’t or won’t hang onto hope typically head off to support Carlton, Geelong, Essendon or whoever is winning premierships at the time.

Meh … we don’t want their sort anyway. Who needs ‘em? They are the type that define clubs like Carlton, Geelong, Essendon etc.

Well yes there is always hope. It has sustained generations of Bulldog fans. And footy fans generally.

In the case of the Bulldog fans, hanging onto hope has defined us. Those spineless types who can’t or won’t hang onto hope typically head off to support Carlton, Geelong, Essendon or whoever is winning premierships at the time.

Meh … we don’t want their sort anyway. Who needs ‘em? They are the type that define clubs like Carlton, Geelong, Essendon etc.
Doubt we've lost too many fair weather supporters to Essendon or Carlton in the past 20 years. May have drawn a couple.

Doubt we've lost too many fair weather supporters to Essendon or Carlton in the past 20 years. May have drawn a couple.
True but I love sticking the boot in because of all their past corporate sins. Mostly pre-21st century. I find it harder to get stuck into Hawthorn who along with Geelong would be the most successful club of the last 20 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back