Strategy Let's Talk About Depth, Baby

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we can easily carry a youngster or two against the shitter teams (everyone except Hawks, North, Tigers, Port coming up basically), i'm not sure I buy that.

I just don't see who you drop at the moment.

Pearce comes in for Johnno as we need the extra tall. Duff you could drop, but Mzungu is probably first cab off the rank there. Sutty you could look at but that does lead to the issue where you've got 3 guys in the backline who aren't usually there (Clancee could probably go back). Suban maybe? Bit rough when he was good last week. And what if DeBoer is playing better at WAFL level (which he did yesterday)? Do you make the conscious decision to not pick the guy who's playing better in favour of the kid who might be better? The Eagles have that luxury with Duggan because this is still really a rebuilding year for them.

Both Sheridan and Crozier are in the side right now over Mzungu and DeBoer, i'd say that does represent a conscious attempt to play the kids over guys who might be better right now. I'm not sure we need to take it much further than that.

I have been along to lots of Peel games salim malik and I don't agree with me - that doesn't mean I know nothing about footy, it just means we have different opinions.

As far as Weller et al being "rag-dolled" by bigger AFL bodies, again I will use Liam Duggan as an example as I have just been watching him. I am not seeing him being rag-dolled today, and he is very similar body size to Lachie Weller, much lighter than Blakely. I'd love to see SOME stats against Weller.

View attachment 141691

Would you say Weller was ready after last week and yesterdays game?Rag dolled was never mentioned by me.Duggan may just be superior at this stage of his development.

I wonder how all these other clubs manage to debut recent draftees and still win a premiership. Eg Hawthorn with Hartung last year.

Pearce has debuted this year and will get more games when he is fit.20 year old KPD's usually have to wait a little longer.

He has only debuted because our first 3 choices were all injured. If there was an older bloke available he wouldn't have played.

Would you say Weller was ready after last week and yesterdays game?Rag dolled was never mentioned by me.Duggan may just be superior at this stage of his development.
He has also played some excellent games - young players do that. Unfortunately so do some of our experienced players who continue to get games.

He was not given a run when he was in good form either.

Not an argument either of us will win salim malik, so happy to agree to disagree.

I wonder how all these other clubs manage to debut recent draftees and still win a premiership. Eg Hawthorn with Hartung last year.
Are you saying that Hawthorn won the premiership because they debuted Hartung?

They might not. Crozier and Sheridan have been on our list for 4 years and neither is getting a regular game yet.

It's a long apprenticeship at Fremantle.
Its' not a long apprenticeship unless you need one. Didn't take Lachie Neale as long. You bang down the door at Peel and you get a game. Weller, Blakely and Langdon are yet to bang the door down.

I think we can easily carry a youngster or two against the shitter teams (everyone except Hawks, North, Tigers, Port coming up basically), i'm not sure I buy that.

I just don't see who you drop at the moment.

Pearce comes in for Johnno as we need the extra tall. Duff you could drop, but Mzungu is probably first cab off the rank there. Sutty you could look at but that does lead to the issue where you've got 3 guys in the backline who aren't usually there (Clancee could probably go back). Suban maybe? Bit rough when he was good last week. And what if DeBoer is playing better at WAFL level (which he did yesterday)? Do you make the conscious decision to not pick the guy who's playing better in favour of the kid who might be better? The Eagles have that luxury with Duggan because this is still really a rebuilding year for them.

Both Sheridan and Crozier are in the side right now over Mzungu and DeBoer, i'd say that does represent a conscious attempt to play the kids over guys who might be better right now. I'm not sure we need to take it much further than that.
This.

Its' not a long apprenticeship unless you need one. Didn't take Lachie Neale as long. You bang down the door at Peel and you get a game. Weller, Blakely and Langdon are yet to bang the door down.

Lachie Neale played a total of 2 games of WAFL before making his AFL debut, getting 22 and 18 disposals in those 2 games. Weller and Blakely have already done more than that.

Interestingly enough, it was Fyfe who was dropped in order for Lachie Neale to debut. Ross Lyon dropped Fyfe in the 4th game he coached Freo, the week after Fyfe's 50th game. I think it might have been the game where he got knocked out? Not sure.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lachie Neale played a total of 2 games of WAFL before making his AFL debut, getting 22 and 18 disposals in those 2 games. Weller and Blakely have already done more than that.
My point was Lachie Neale didn't do a long apprenticeship, not that he was tearing it up at Peel. That was 2012 when who knew what lay ahead, we were still building our midfield into what is now arguably the best in the comp.

In 2015, you bang down the door at Peel or you don't get gifted a game in the top side in the comp. Simple.

Others using Fyfe and Hill's debut years as examples are comparing apples with oranges.

In 2015, you bang down the door at Peel or you don't get gifted a game in the top side in the comp. Simple.

There are about 5 blokes at Peel who have shown enough to be very obviously better than Nick Suban. The guys who are currently playing and not performing (and in Suban's case consistently failed to perform over his entire career) are the ones being gifted games.

There are about 5 blokes at Peel who have shown enough to be very obviously better than Nick Suban. The guys who are currently playing and not performing (and in Suban's case consistently failed to perform over his entire career) are the ones being gifted games.
Suban is much improved and is having a great year, as is D.Pearce. We would have lost in Adelaide were it not for Suban. The same old scapegoating is getting tired.

Suban is much improved and is having a great year, as is D.Pearce. We would have lost in Adelaide were it not for Suban. The same old scapegoating is getting tired.

Suban has played 1 good game and 2 acceptable games this year. He's cracked 20 touches twice in 10 games.

I'm not sure why you'd mention D. Pearce in the same breath as Suban. He's been one of our better mids since joining the club, is number 1 in the AFL for inside 50s and finished top 10 in our B+F last year. Suban has done hardly anything in 100 games and has been gifted games for the last 2 seasons.

Suban has played 1 good game and 2 acceptable games this year. He's cracked 20 touches twice in 10 games.
You're a tough critic mate. He has been super this year. Most have done a backflip on him in here as a result.

The players begging for a spell are Sutty and Duff, and we are terribly exposed in the KPD department. The problem area isn't our midfield, anything but.

Too many are trying to craft whatever reason they can for getting those blokes in for a game or two for their benefit. How about we stick to what's best for the team winning? We can lock in a top 2 berth then give them a game or two.

You're a tough critic mate. He has been super this year. Most have done a backflip on him in here as a result.

I gave him votes in the Adelaide game, his best game in 3 years. He's been the same old Suban the rest of the year. Slow, can't get the ball, gives away too many frees, can't kick goals. He's averaged 13 touches a game over his career, which is pretty ordinary for a midfielder.

You're right that Sutty and Duff haven't been great, but they also play positions that aren't nearly as easily replaced as Suban's. We don't have half a dozen running defenders playing well at Peel. But we do have half a dozen utility/mids who could be given a chance to play Suban's role.

I'd bet a decent sum that if Blakely or Weller was brought in at the expense of Sheridan either would have more possessions and have more influence than Sheridan has ever had in 4 years.

I reckon he only gets game because Freo wants him to re sign end of year. Freo are well aware of the retirements that will come and trying to keep the young fringe players happy.

However, I think he is better than Suban and should take his place as the output would be the same but with no free kicks against and crap efficiency.

Interesting thoughts on here. Perfect chance To play Alex Pearce if fit. If not, elevate Tanner Smith or Vandeleur off the rookie list for 8 weeks. Not a bad time to debut Weller and Blakely and Brady Grey. People bag out Suban for getting 12-15 dispsals a game. Fair enough. I dont mind putting a Weller or Blakely for a debut if they get 12-15 disposals.

Interesting thoughts on here. Perfect chance To play Alex Pearce if fit. If not, elevate Tanner Smith or Vandeleur off the rookie list for 8 weeks. Not a bad time to debut Weller and Blakely and Brady Grey. People bag out Suban for getting 12-15 dispsals a game. Fair enough. I dont mind putting a Weller or Blakely for a debut if they get 12-15 disposals.

Tanner Smith should be playing Peel reserves and Vanderleur is.

Who? He's still the same limited player he always has been. He plays a role which allows him to be confined to those limitations.

"Super"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back