Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
I am so in love.

I have a french girlfriend who introduced me to Le Canard. Potato cooked in duck fat, vegemite soaked in duck fat, bread fried in duck fat. Magret de canard, Confit de Canard.

FOIE GRAS!!!!

Why is this so rare in Oz? I could say the same for the kangaroo, as long as you eat it rare.

Long live Le Canard!!

I love duck.

Have it at the in laws every Christmas. Order it most times that I see it on the menu.

A noodle house down the road from me does roast duck in chilli vinegar, magnificent.

As for potatoes roasted in duck fat - words cannot describe how good that is.

This thread title made me doubletake, totally read it as a different word at first...

Tried duck a few times at chinese restaurants, have no strong feelings one way or the other for it really however the thought of all the food in duck fat... Yeah that can't be good for your health.

From experience the way Europeans an Asians use duck is usually quite different. And iirc what the French do to a duck, basically aggressively force feeding it corn to fatten up the liver, is illegal in Australia. Then again I'm sure cheese with maggots is too.

Cooking in duck fat is sublime. Sure you shouldn't eat it everyday but once in a while(every second day) is worth it.

Thread needs more
wayne-carey-the-truth-hurts-96275.jpg

Eh, I think it is a bit overrated. Once you take away the delicious fat, it's basically gamey, greasy chicken. When it's cooked well I do enjoy it as an occasional treat, but most times it's hard to justify the kilojoules. I never cook it at home.

Foi gras is delicious but one of the most inhumane foods known to man. I simply can't conscience eating it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Foi gras is delicious but one of the most inhumane foods known to man. I simply can't conscience eating it.

I was at this year's Tour de France, thus spending a month over there. I think I ate duck around about 4 or 5 times, including the infamous Foi Gras.
You're right Caeser.... thoroughly inhumane, but * me, does it taste good! If I go again next year, I'll try not to partake though.
Well, maybe just the once....

Duck in thai curries is often very nice. Whenever I go to a thai place and see duck curry on the menu i'll usually order it.

I'm note a Pâté fan either but you really should never compare Foie Gras to pâté. Pâté is like dog food.

I made a mistake beginning this thread. Instead of making it about duck I should have began it as my adventures with food in France. 6 months and counting.

My Missus makes the meanest rattatouille (sp?) and like me lives chilli and spice. Her knowledge of cheese is formidable, and her stepfathers outdoor, wood-fired pizza oven produces some amazing things... I keep meaning to do a long roll of Vegemite and Brie calzone style thing but always forget to bring the Vegemite.

For now a wood-fired Brandade, smoked salmon, creme fraiche, emmental and topped out with fresh rocket after exiting the oven..

Eh, I think it is a bit overrated. Once you take away the delicious fat, it's basically gamey, greasy chicken. When it's cooked well I do enjoy it as an occasional treat, but most times it's hard to justify the kilojoules. I never cook it at home.

it's delicious but so wrong. I've tried it with truffles (lord) but like you feel guilty so would rather not eat it.

I'm not crazy about duck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back