Rumour Let's Talk About The Mysterious Hat

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay so lately there have been pictures surfacing in the Blogosphere™ of a mysterious Port Adelaide hat. An amalgamation of all things awesome, it contains the word PORT in big bold letters and the pumping fist from our logo. It has a neat teal brim as well.

The hat was first sited upon Impey's head at the Davis Cup.
29kt4xh.jpg

And then on Hammer's at the airport.
79785_47fdf3cd876f5a4a3d6aa0b83aafc88c.png

And reportedly Adam Hartlett was also wearing it at the EF.

So... what is it? Where is it from? Is it a hipster hat from the 90's? Is it a new New Era hat?

Let's keep a close watch on the hat (which needs a name.) I genuinely want one, and you do too.

An extraordinary Port relic, perhaps only matched by the Jarman Impey pen of 2014.

This spurred me to search for my 1997 Port Power hat signed by footballing superstar Ian Downsborough, alas it is lost in the landfill of my garage storage room and will likely remain so for many years to come.

Defo a hat from the early seasons - I had one and wore it to every home game!

I'm guessing its being used as some sort of punishment hat for losing a bet or similar within the squad

Find surplus merchandise in back room of store.
"How can we get rid of these? No one will buy them, they're so out of date!"
Hand a few around to players to wear in conspicuous places.
Sell remaining stock as retro styled merch to hipster supporters like finbarr and TSW.
:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a very close mate of mine owns one, reckons he got it way back in '97. i'm a fan.

That hat was bloody awful back in the 90s.

Being ironic cool doesn't change this one bit.

It's still bloody awful!

Keep this up and I'll have to bring out my clapper hat from 1986.

I don't wanna do it. But if I have to do it. I'll do it.

klaphat.jpeg

NOTE: Approximate image only. My clapper hat is black-and-white. And I am not 73 years-old.

Last edited:
Okay so lately there have been pictures surfacing in the Blogosphere™ of a mysterious Port Adelaide hat. An amalgamation of all things awesome, it contains the word PORT in big bold letters and the pumping fist from our logo. It has a neat teal brim as well.

The hat was first sited upon Impey's head at the Davis Cup.

And then on Hammer's at the airport.

And reportedly Adam Hartlett was also wearing it at the EF.

So... what is it? Where is it from? Is it a hipster hat from the 90's? Is it a new New Era hat?

Let's keep a close watch on the hat (which needs a name.) I genuinely want one, and you do too.

I've spoken to Hammer about this actually. The story goes, he was driving along Port Rd after footy training one day and spotted the hat sitting in the back window of another car. He followed the car for a bit, which stopped off at the Bunnings car park. Hamish got out of the car and approached the driver, an elderly man, and asked him where he got the hat because Hamish had been looking for one. It turns out it was a gift from an old friend who'd passed away. The man offered the hat to Hamish, he refused based on the sentimental quality the hat must have held but the man insisted. So Hamish ran back to his car, signed a Port training top and gave it to the man in exchange. Not a word of a lie.

That hat was bloody awful back in the 90s.

Being ironic cool doesn't change this one bit.

It's still bloody awful!

Keep this up and I'll have to bring out my clapper hat from 1986.

I don't wanna do it. But if I have to do it. I'll do it.

I like this hat when brothers Adam and Hamish wear it, but remaking them en masse would be a big mistake.

I like this hat when brothers Adam and Hamish wear it, but remaking them en masse would be a big mistake.

Actually, that would be pretty cool if it keeps randomly popping up with the players.

But fair play to anyone who hunts one down.

This post is the first time I've ever used "cool" in a non-weather context.

Kewl.

exactly what a hipster would say

A hipster tries to recreate a bygone era through bringing back music and fashions of said bygone era and bastardising it.
Those records and clothes of a bygone era never left my wardrobe or shelves to begin with. If that makes me a middle aged hipster then so be it. In pre-hipster times it just made me a dag.

A hipster tries to recreate a bygone era through bringing back music and fashions of said bygone era and bastardising it.
Those records and clothes of a bygone era never left my wardrobe or shelves to begin with. If that makes me a middle aged hipster then so be it. In pre-hipster times it just made me a dag.
You liked it before it was cool

Remove this Banner Ad

Back