Review Lets talk about Walker...

Remove this Banner Ad

For the merits of the debate, and using the same stats sheet as Sin...here are a couple of more stats that are important to consider given the above DE stat.

Walker (15 games) also has the following stats in our club:

• 26th for tackles despite being a defender :eek:.
  • 26th for contested marks despite being a defender :eek:
  • 7th for clangers despite less games :eek:
  • Yes, Walker missed 5 games but so too did Waite, Armfield, Kruezer, Setanta, Robinson, and Houlahan miss games. Despite this, Walker compares vary poorly to a lot of them in the above categories
  • Given his role in the team is a defender...you wonder why teams run right through our defence when we have similar types in Scotland and Gibbs...referring to hardness/tackles here...non existent.
  • His defensive stats are so much at the lower end it is not funny...not even close to the top of the club. Compare tackles to Russell...1/3rd...that is so far behind it is not funny from one of our experienced players...half the tackles of Army despite only 2 less games!
  • Don't mention defensive contested marks...because he doesn't actually take any!!
  • Ranked 20th for Contested possessions despite being a defender...slightly smells of softish outside cheap defender...hurts our side when we have Scotland and Gibbs playing that same role...
Arguing for him...here are the positives:

• DE % is high surprisingly...
  • His rebound 50s is 4th behind Russell, Scotland and Gibbs...
  • His 1%ers is ranked 11th...above average slightly
  • Shoulder injury...career ruined by injury to some degree

Good reading, how did his tackle count rank prior to the collerbone injury?
Is / was there a difference?.
As you point out, really need to build some nasty in that defensive 6.
Oh, for a Peter Dean, Hickmott, Rice to lead the way....

Disposal efficiency for each round
1. 77.78%
2. 91.67
3. 63.16
4. 83.33
5. 55.56
10. 75.86
11. 88.00
12. 85.00
13. 70.37
14. 70.83
15. 82.15
16. 83.33
17. 83.33
18. 92.31
21. 82.35

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/PlayerL...rofile/tabid/7854/default.aspx?playerid=14069

For the merits of the debate, and using the same stats sheet as Sin...here are a couple of more stats that are important to consider given the above DE stat.

• 26th for contested marks despite being a defender
  • 7th for clangers :eek: despite less games
  • Worst in rebound 50s of our smaller defenders...
  • Yes, Walker missed 5 games but so too did Waite, Armfield, Kruezer, Setanta, Robinson, and Houlahan miss games. Despite this, Walker compares vary poorly to a lot of them in the above categories
  • Given his role in the team is a defender...you wonder why teams run right through our defence
  • His defensive stats are so much at the lower end it is not funny...not even close to the top of the club. Compare tackles to Russell...1/3rd...that is so far behind it is not funny from one of our experienced players...half the tackles of Army despite only 2 less games!
  • Don't mention defensive contested marks...because he doesn't actually take any!!
  • Ranked 20th for Contested possessions despite being a defender...slightly smells of softish outside cheap defender...hurts our side when we have Scotland and Gibbs playing that same role...

True, but the guy has had his arms pulled out in each of the seasons his played. Broke his collerbone around 14-16 weeks ago. Surely would impact on your confidence levels in regards to being a bull in the tackle. Hope he gets in a massive pre-season, builds the strength and confidence in his shoulders and repays the club with a stellar 2011.

Well if he's not confident enough to tackle a small forward then he needs to be dropped.

• 26th for contested marks despite being a defender
  • 7th for clangers :eek: despite less games
  • Worst in rebound 50s of our smaller defenders...
  • Given his role in the team is a defender...you wonder why teams run right through our defence

Hard to see how that's a positive.

And replace him with which tackling machine from the seconds?

Brown, Setanta, Thornton and Anderson could probably contribute more than Walker is, defensively, at the moment. .. Like Judd, Walker cannot tackle if he needs to stretch to make it, needs to work harder on getting his body behind the tackle. ..

Like I said he needs to go away and work on his kicking over the off season. .. mainly decision making, too many attempted stab passes that hit players on the bounce where space for an easier kick is available. .. Then he would make a great outside wingman or could even play the quarter back (Gibbs' role) that he hinted at accomplishing earlier in the season. ..

I was having a read in the 'draft and trade' section just before and stumbled on a david armitage thread.. got me thinking alittle bit, being st kilda isn't the fastest team in the comp we lack hard inside players (pending hadley & mcleans fittness/injury) could something happen there or am i being slightly over ambitious?

say walker + 3rd for armitage?

just a thought.

I still think he needs to be given a bit more of a chance. Given a free run without injury he could be a star! I was at his debut against WCE and he dominated against what was a very good team when he was 18. I know he hasnt produced a performance like that since then but he has potential and I think given a run without injuries so that he gains match fitness and confidence he could become a premier midfielder.

Found this a decent comment on Talking Carlton
http://www.talkingcarlton.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=36

club29 said:
I few months back i came up with an idea of what i would do with walker. Then he started playing well as a backman so i changed my idea again. Now i am back with my original idea.

Walker loves to run. That is something he is good at and something he does well. We should strip his game back and rebuild it using his strengths as the foundation.

He should take a leaf out of Daisy Thomas' book. For the first 3 and a half years of Daisy's career he was a very ordinary player. Running around like a kid in a schoolyard. Going for speccies and turning the ball over with helicopter kicks more often than not. Then late last year the club and he shifted their idea of what sort of player he was going to be.
They now use him behind the ball. A guy who contest after contest is in the face of the opposition ball carrier. He uses his running to get to as many contests he can then gets behind the ball and puts pressure on the opposition. He also uses his running to cut the angles of the other team. Its his running that allows Swan and Didak to get ahead of the ball.
80% of Daisy;s good work is done without the ball. With the ball he is average. With a hard tag he wouldnt even get the ball. But without the ball he is a very good player. He is hardly ever off the screen during pies games.

We need to do this with walker. Forget big marks, forget dashing through a pack then hitting a bloke with a 40 metre pass and forget playing him as a forward. Lets turn him in the a hard running player that puts pressure on the opposition and gives cover to our more attacking player. The kicks and handballs with come but his first aim should be to play an important role for the team and close down space and players head on with his great running..

Thats what i would do with Walker.

Found this a decent comment on Talking Carlton
http://www.talkingcarlton.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=36

Very decent comment.

Nathan Buckley took Dale Thomas under his wing and showed him the way to first sacrifice and then make an impact as described above. DT has turned around his career as a result.

Always a chance but first...Walker has got to want to do it so it may come back to mental aptitude/attitude, and secondly, finding someone to show him the way!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is that Daisy, while soft, can lay a tackle. .. Its no good playing a behind the ball defensive game if the opposition know they can break tackles. .. I agree that he needs to be stripped back and re-invented though, but without the ability to tackle I think it needs to be an outside role. ..

The problem is that Daisy, while soft, can lay a tackle. .. Its no good playing a behind the ball defensive game if the opposition know they can break tackles. .. I agree that he needs to be stripped back and re-invented though, but without the ability to tackle I think it needs to be an outside role. ..

What good is it playing him in an outside role when there are serious fundamental problems with his kicking??

What good is it playing him in an outside role when there are serious fundamental problems with his kicking??

That is part of stripping him back and re-invention. .. his kicking is not too bad. .. its more his decision making and trying to pin point stab passes when giving the ball a little air would work better. ..

Walker's kicking is poor because he chooses the wrong option or tries to kick running flat out without steadying like Judd. I've also seen him pull off kicks on his wrong foot running flat chat and hit Hampson on the lead against the Dogs this year. A few of teammates are poorer kicks and one sided, but they're playing their roles because they're not afraid of busting their shoulder again in a tackle. Unless you've had that injury (at least three times) and played with a metal plate on your broken collarbone, it's easy to call someone a soft player.

Hardness is a mental issue with Walker.

The club's psych is needed more than another pre-season to get him right.

Worked with JR.

I'd release him...

Fundamental weakness?

[YOUTUBE]lqcZtjePFCU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]FvVM5146u7Y[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]OO-UiENctII[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]uZKHaslQTZk[/YOUTUBE]

A better kick than Carrazzo, Joseph, Robinson, Hadley, Grigg and a few others because he can use both feet.

Is more creative than most of those players because he has some x factor and breaks the lines.

For mine, it's a confidence issue with his body.

Looks like he's been left out of the team to take on Freo.

Good move, doesn't deserve his spot in the team, needs to go and work on his strength, can't afford to be kept getting pushed off like a rag doll and his attitude doesn't seem to be right atm

played with a metal plate on your broken collarbone, it's easy to call someone a soft player.

This!

People have forgotten how well he was playing prior to breaking his collarbone.

The guy is low on confidence, he needs time to build that confidence and strength in that collarbone. He has shown enough for another season for mine and you wont get much at the draft table anyway. MC should start to focus the guy on his deficiencies/confidence and not play him for the rest of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back