Lets talk Athletics

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure I've noticed any other supporters for the Oakland A's, so this could be a lonely thread, but nonetheless, here we go.

Decent start to the 2014 season, though the A's haven't yet played anyone that are likely to figure to go deep into the playoffs and they've just swept the Twins in their first away series for the season.

But it looks like that Jim Johnson is under severe pressure to justify the salary (not so much the trade to the Orioles to acquire him, as Jemile Weeks was a fairly mediocre MLB player) and Melvin has already decided to take him out of the closer role after blowing two saves (which caused the A's to drop one game and to need a walk-off three-run homer to win the other).

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10761964/oakland-athletics-take-struggling-jim-johnson-closer-role

Athletics take the away series against the Mariners 2-1 with a 3-0 win over the Mariners earlier today. Hopefully Scott Kazmir is okay and his triceps strain isn't too bad.

Six Athletics selected to the All-Star game. Beane also traded for an All-Star selected to the National League roster (Jeff S.).

Not bad.

Six Athletics selected to the All-Star game. Beane also traded for an All-Star selected to the National League roster (Jeff S.).

Not bad.
Really set up for this and next year, with the trade we made have to win the world series in that time.

Oakland Athletics starting rotation for next year.
Sonny Gray
Jarrod Parker
Jeff Samardzija
Scott Kazmir
A.J Griffin

That's almost unfair

Beane is all in on the world series. I was very surprised to see the news this morning that Beane traded Cespedes to the Red Sox in exchange for Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes.

Lester is a free agent at the end of the season and there is no way the A's can afford to pay what he'll command on the open market. He could even end up back in Boston if they pony up the dough he wants (though it's unlikely, as they could have signed him for cheaper at any time during the season). Cespedes hits free agency the season after next and it's probable that the A's also couldn't have paid what he'll demand on the open market, so Beane is effectively trading 15 months of Cespedes for two months of Lester, plus a couple of bits and pieces.

It shores up the rotation for the end of the season, which is necessary as Chavez has really fallen off a cliff the last couple of months (had to be yanked from the Astros game the other day), and it's clear Billy wants to win it all this year with the roster he's assembled.

Has to win it this year. Congratulations on him on being willing and able to have the balls to make the moves he has made in the last month. l shudder to think how bad we are going to be from 2016 onwards our Minor league teams have been cleaned out. We look like being pretty terrible in a couple of years will make the Cubs and Astros on the last few seasons look like world beaters. If we can get a world Series out of it it's worth it

Trading for someone like Jon Lester makes sense for a 1 game wild card game playoff or to match up with a David Price or Max Scherzer in the ALDS if the A's can hold on for the division. However giving up Cespedes is a HUGE risk, giving up your clean up hitter/great defensive LF/protection for Donaldson in the line up.

Agreed. Cespedes changed the whole complexion of our line up.
Donaldson been struggling last couple months Moss in a slump Norris good but not playing everyday Vogt will not keep hitting like he has been,Crisp constantly injured so is Gentry.
Now you are looking for Lowrie Punto Reddick to carry a lot more responsibility than you want to be asking of them. Our pitching should be amazing still need to score some runs

Turned out that the A's were looking to trade Cespedes after the season was done because they didn't think they would be able to re-sign him. So the A's rationalise the Cespedes for Lester trade by saying that they were effectively both two-three month rentals.

Angels lock up the AL West title by beating the Mariners 5-0 and the Athletics losing 6-1 to the Rangers in Oakland. The A's are only two games ahead of the Mariners in the division, which means that they are only two games clear of the Mariners in the hunt for a wild card spot.

Seems a long time ago this season that the As were riding high in the MLB. Hopefully the trades Billy Beane swung to give the A's a chance at winning the World Series actually get a chance to pitch in the playoffs.

Another loss to the Rangers and now the A's trail the Royals by half a game in the chase for a wildcard. Lucky that both the AL and NL send two wildcard teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The A's have now been swept twice at home by the Rangers this season, which comprise the only two times the A's have been swept at home. So far this season, the A's are 2-7 against the Rangers and 43-23 against all other teams at home.

So much for gearing up for a World Series attempt. The Athletics go from leading 7-3 in the sixth inning to losing 9-8 in 12 against the Royals to be eliminated from the post season.

Billy Beane has been busily reshaping the roster in the wake of the failed push for World Series glory.

Jon Lester left the Athletics as a free agent (they were never seriously in the hunt to give him the contract he demanded). Jeff Samardzija was traded to the White Sox in exchange for Marcus Semien, Chris Bassitt and a third player to be named. Brandon Moss went to the Indians for Joey Wendle. Josh Donaldson left earlier in the off-season to the Rays in exchange for Brett Lawrie and three prospects.

Earlier today, Beane traded catcher Derek Norris, Seth Streich and an international draft slot to the Padres in exchange for pitchers Jessie Hahn and R.J. Alvarez.

Massive A's fan, glad I looked in here and found your thread. Beane's trades have confuse me no end, first Cespedes made no sense then my favourite player Josh Donaldson gets traded after an AllStar season.
I am glad we get another of my favourites in Billy Butler in though. I would love to see Josh Hamilton and Ian Kinsler in Green Collar baseball at some stage next season.

University of Michigan head coach, and former 49ers head coach, Jim Harbaugh was a guest of Bob Melvin at the Cactus League game between the A's and the Angels (which the A's won 8-7) this morning. Harbaugh and Melvin played on the same little league team, but at different times, apparently.

Thanks for Addison Russell gents <3

That's Billy for you.

Although Beane is now a minority owner in the franchise and isn't technically the GM any more, his fingerprints are still all over the moves the A's make to reshape the roster.

Here's a good article from Athletics Nation breaking down the A's trades over the past five years.

http://www.athleticsnation.com/2016/2/3/10883852/a-year-too-soon-vs-a-year-too-late

I wouldn't be surprised if, later in the season before the trade deadline, the A's hold a fire-sale (provided that the Athletics aren't in the playoff picture).

Beane cashed in the farm prospects in order to rent a few players for a failed World Series run a couple of seasons ago (ended up with the A's losing a one-game playoff to the Royals to make the playoffs) so he's been trying to restock the farm system over the past couple of years.

I'm hoping that Franklin Barreto, whom the A's received from Toronto as part of the trade for Donaldson, realises his potential and makes the big leagues in the next season or two. He was the highest ranked prospect on the MLB 100 rankings released the other week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back