Sep 14, 2003
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Angels, Maple Leafs

1608018025804.png

1608018133922.png

https://www.espn.com.au/mlb/story/_/id/29475406/bring-back-cleveland-spiders-really-bad-know

We are officially an MLB feeder club, went close to winning a championship a few years ago, but since then we develop players and let them go before they become free agents. Absolute joke.

Chops18

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Juve, Cleveland Indians
Trade made 0 sense. I accepted a long time ago that Lindor was going, i even started to ger excited at the thought of what we could get for him and then they pull that s**t. We got Ernie Clement and Yu Chan on tbe roster and we got Gabriel Arias in the Clevenger trade and Tyler Freeman both coming up. Even JRam can move to SS with Nolan Jones ready to debut. Giminez could be a gem but he isn't a need, outfield is.

I really wanted us to deal with the Yankees and try to get Frazier back and Torres. Frazier would've been the perfect fit for us and Torres would've thrived at second for us.

Love this team but it's getting harder and harder to stay passionate.

DFWGrapher

Debutant
Mar 13, 2021
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX USA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Cleveland in every sport
The issue for me about this trade is the ownership is officially not about winning it all,
They are about being good enough to attract crowds and revenue. It’s getting harder to watch the Indians when clearly winning pennants and getting to the World Series is not the number 1 priority

DFWGrapher

Debutant
Mar 13, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Cleveland in every sport
Unfortunately that's the nature of the beast as a small market team, especially in baseball with their lack of a salary cap: unless you're the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Dodgers, Cubs, or a select few others, you get a small window to try to win before you have to blow it up and start the process over again. I remember watching Game 3 of the 2017 ALDS, gnawing my fingernails off and telling my wife's family (whose house we were at) that if the Indians didn't win it tonight we were looking at this being it until 2022, minimum. When Greg Bird homered, I told them that's it, this series is over and the Tribe's window is closed. They all thought I was nuts, but so far I've been right.

Lindor wasn't himself last year and has looked bad in the spring this year (small sample size, I know, but 2 for 13 is a bad stretch). I think the 2019 ankle injury is affecting him more that he cares to admit, and the trade netted them two guys with a lot of potential, including one who by many accounts just needs a change in scenery to have a chance to thrive in Gimenez. It clears the books, nets a couple prospects, and starts on a true youth movement.

We've been here before, this shouldn't be unexpected. But I feel better about this rebuild than a lot of others done by this organization.

DFWGrapher

Debutant
Mar 13, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Cleveland in every sport
Not a good start. I know, small sample size, only a week in, anything can happen in a four-game stretch, cold weather = cold bats, whatever.

But I'm not liking this. Having a 3.71 ERA as a team should result in a record of better than 1-3, especially when those four games are against teams projected to finish behind you in the standings.

Every year there is a player whose existence on the roster is completely inexplicable and I want to set fire to them. Ben Gamel has already established himself in this role for 2021. He is a fungus.

DFWGrapher

Debutant
Mar 13, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Cleveland in every sport
For better or for worse, I have a feeling that Tito may end up like Tom Kelly in Minnesota: come in, turn them into a contender immediately, and by doing so be granted the ability to keep the job until he no longer wants it regardless of results. His contract is through 2022 as well; and with this team's financial problems I don't see them buying him out without a disastrous season.

Granted, last year's health issues may cause him to step down sooner, and Alomar has proven himself capable (and has been rumored for openings for the better part of a decade).

DFWGrapher

Debutant
Mar 13, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Cleveland in every sport
Every year there is a player whose existence on the roster is completely inexplicable and I want to set fire to them. Ben Gamel has already established himself in this role for 2021. He is a fungus.

I am adding Jake Bauers to the fungus list. Chops18 , I'm with you on Bradley. Right now. Please.

If it was possible to give negative run support to Shane Bieber, I think this lineup would. This is the exact opposite of 2004 Cliff Lee (best winning percentage in the rotation, worst ERA).

But still, agreed, better than I expected after the spring and first week or so. Just give me more Amed in center, Bradley at first, and Mercado on the bench; and less existence of Gamel and Bauers.

MadTigerFan

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2010
Vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Astros, Spurs, 49ers, Liverpool
Have arguably the best pitching system in all of baseball yet so much negativity in here, only a few teams continually spend money, should be used top it.

DFWGrapher

Debutant
Mar 13, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Cleveland in every sport
Pitching will only take you so far. We're seeing the polar opposite of the late 90s teams that had all the hitting in the world but couldn't pitch their way out of a jar of jam, much less a bases loaded jam. And in the current era of nuclear ball beating small ball, it's going to guarantee a third-place finish.

Carlos Rodon was good this week. He wasn't perfect game good and yet this lineup made it a possibility.

DFWGrapher

Debutant
Mar 13, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Cleveland in every sport
Always competitive in a 30 team sport, most would take that.
I don't know about "always" competitive; it depends on whether your third-place finish is closer to second or fourth.

Anyways, I guess there's some cosmic rule that says this team must have two fungal players on it at all times, because as soon as Ben Gamel got shipped out, Josh Naylor has been reduced to a fungus on the Steve Buffum Taxonomy Of Mediocrity. Watching this guy play is an ordeal.

Chops18

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Juve, Cleveland Indians
Bobby Bradley killing it atm ,boit tome we called him up. His numers will drop inevitably but it's nice to see him starting hot like this. So far the we've won the Lindor trade, Ahmed Rosario has been great while Lindor has forgot how to play.

Chops18

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Juve, Cleveland Indians
36-28, thought they were meant to be bad this season
I thought we'd struggle but still knew we had the pitching depth and JRam to carry us through the AL Central and in postseason contention. It's nice to see other guys like Franmil, Bradley, Rosario x 2 and Harold Ramirez giving JRam some support.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well it’s official:

Cleveland Guardians

let’s talk Guardians

Back