Lets talk Jolly

Remove this Banner Ad

You may have a point re Dawes/Lynch but its early days on that and hes done nothing at Melbourne so far to say we made a mistake. Dawes also brought us a top 20 pick which along with Wellingham allowed us to go hard at the draft table, picking up Broomhead Kennedy and Grundy. Hudson was a cheap and obvious choice with Jolly near the end and Witts and Grundy at the start. The gap in mid aged rucks is an acknowledged problem, one that can be blamed on Malthouse. nless you suggest we should have kept Wood at five times the salary Hudson is on?

Russell has been good so far and invaluable depth with Shaw and Toovey missing.

Oh and watch out for Jackson Paine, a key forward who played a few games last year and is dominating in the VFL this year. He will get his chances soon.

Paine is going to be a good player. So is Grundy. I never understood the negativity with Dawes. I thought he was a little hard done by. But then to replace him with Lynch, a player who is past his prime, just makes no sense. Perhaps salary cap pressure was the reason behind it. Hudson will be a good ruck coach for the youngsters.
Witt will be ok. don't ask too much from him as he is raw.

Jolly will play the odd good game but last night our rucks were too switched on.

Cheers until next time.

Paine is going to be a good player. So is Grundy. I never understood the negativity with Dawes. I thought he was a little hard done by. But then to replace him with Lynch, a player who is past his prime, just makes no sense. Perhaps salary cap pressure was the reason behind it. Hudson will be a good ruck coach for the youngsters.
Witt will be ok. don't ask too much from him as he is raw.

Jolly will play the odd good game but last night our rucks were too switched on.

Cheers until next time.

Dawes was replaced with Grundy/Broomhead/Kennedy, take your pick. Lynch was never the long term replacement, he was just the short term cover.. And I've also forgotten to mention Keeffe who also made his comeback today.

No doubt salary cap were also part of the reason for trading Wellingham and DAwes and replacing them with cheaper options.

I think Swans rate ruckmen because they are a stoppage team, have a lot more stoppages than most teams I would imagine. If you have a free flowing team and rely more on half back rebounding, then the Ruckman probably isn't vital to how you play.

Spot on!! A strong bodied ruck who can give the mids first use of the ball (critical part here is that he leaves a 50/50 situation as mids are contested footy beasts) Is critical to the Swans structure. That's partly why they recruit developed rucks for a second round pick.

Dawes was replaced with Grundy/Broomhead/Kennedy, take your pick. Lynch was never the long term replacement, he was just the short term cover.. And I've also forgotten to mention Keeffe who also made his comeback today.

No doubt salary cap were also part of the reason for trading Wellingham and DAwes and replacing them with cheaper options.

Exactly - Lynch would've come pretty cheap and he's there to provide a bit of experience and cover for Paine and Grundy while they develop.

I tend to agree. I'll always be grateful to Jolly for delivering in 2010 but our best bet would be to get games into Witts right now. Say what you want Witts has done better than a lot of other first year rucks.

Nothing new in that. He was giving away frees in our premiership year too. Try another angle.

(edit...he has never played a year of footy where he has recieved more frees than he has paid away, except his first year in 2001 where he played only four games))

What angle, it was just an observation. :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You may have a point re Dawes/Lynch but its early days on that and hes done nothing at Melbourne so far to say we made a mistake.
He's only played two games and was close to BOG behind Ellis last week.

The Pies will have a week or so try out life without Jolly..

The problem is we will end up picking Hudson which doesn't help the cause at all for life without Jolly.

I still think Jolly can have an influence this season but there's no doubt he is slowing down and that is only natural and to be expected. Has been a wonderful servant for us.

Struggled last year and is just as bad this year. His body looks like it's giving up. He's been a good player, and was in the right place multiple times to win a few flags. He should retire end of this season.

The Jolly-Jetta trade (what it effectively ended up being) was a very well balanced (in the longterm) trade that was the ultimate win-win. Both Jetta and Jolly played big parts in their clubs winning a premiership.

But yes Jolly has been done for close to two years. I don't understand why Collingwood keep playing him. Surely he has to make way for someone pretty soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back