Let's talk Ports! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you say it was badly managed? The fact that Jack and Polec were managed differently doesn't mean it was done poorly.
Anecdotal, but the Melbourne club medicos would have had a big hand in the initial direction that Trengove took to repair his navicular. Then he has been up and down since the operation, re-injuring it in 2014. Plus I am not all impressed with anything Melbourne has done as a club in the last 15 years!

Anecdotal, but the Melbourne club medicos would have had a big hand in the initial direction that Trengove took to repair his navicular. Then he has been up and down since the operation, re-injuring it in 2014. Plus I am not all impressed with anything Melbourne has done as a club in the last 15 years!
From memory he had a navicular stress fracture in 2012 that was managed with rest but was "hampered" for the rest of the season. It then recurred in 2014 when they decided to operate. If there was never union of the fracture site it will generally be treated with reduction and fixation.
Polec coming back from it is more the exception than the rule, as tribey said.

A really nice write up here:
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-03-14/special-honour-for-coach-greaves

PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB Head of Football Development, Aaron Greaves has won the AFL Coaches Association’s Phil Walsh Memorial Scholarship.

The annual scholarship was set up in 2015 and is awarded to a young coach to help with personal development through study and travel.

Greaves joined Port Adelaide in 2014 as a development coach after arriving from Melbourne where he was an assistant midfield coach.

He was announced as the scholarship winner at the AFL Coaches Association AGM on Wednesday.

The scholarship was judged by a panel of three AFL Premiership Coaches including Mick Malthouse, Denis Pagan and Mark Williams.

“Both Ken and (GM of Football) Chris Davies have offered so much support in terms of allowing me to explore different personal development opportunities to bring things back to our coaches,” Greaves said.

“This award wouldn’t have been possible without them and the wider group at Port Adelaide.

“I’m very fortunate to work with such a good group and a group that is so supportive of us getting better.”

From memory he had a navicular stress fracture in 2012 that was managed with rest but was "hampered" for the rest of the season. It then recurred in 2014 when they decided to operate. If there was never union of the fracture site it will generally be treated with reduction and fixation.
Polec coming back from it is more the exception than the rule, as tribey said.
Actually no! I read up on this before. He suffered a stress fracture to a different part of the same foot in 2012. Then after recovery, his form seemed to drop off in 2013. Then he was diagnosed with the navicular fracture in April 2014 and underwent his first surgery then. He was back ruining within months and ready to be traded to Richmond in October, when the medical revealed more damage. He then had his second surgery. There was an article in the age last year that mentioned it is thought he actually had the navicular fracture for some time before it was diagnosed in April 2014.

Was it just a missed diagnosis?
Did they just think it was related to the more minor stress fracture, and overlook the signs?
Did the pressures of being made captain at 20 cause him to push himself harder than he should?
Maybe to overlook warning signs?
Why was he ruining so quickly after the April surgery.

There is enough smoke for me to seriously have my doubts about how well he was managed there.

Actually no! I read up on this before. He suffered a stress fracture to a different part of the same foot in 2012. Then after recovery, his form seemed to drop off in 2013. Then he was diagnosed with the navicular fracture in April 2014 and underwent his first surgery then. He was back ruining within months and ready to be traded to Richmond in October, when the medical revealed more damage. He then had his second surgery. There was an article in the age last year that mentioned it is thought he actually had the navicular fracture for some time before it was diagnosed in April 2014.

Was it just a missed diagnosis?
Did they just think it was related to the more minor stress fracture, and overlook the signs?
Did the pressures of being made captain at 20 cause him to push himself harder than he should?
Maybe to overlook warning signs?
Why was he ruining so quickly after the April surgery.

There is enough smoke for me to seriously have my doubts about how well he was managed there.
Same here. I remember the fuss on here and calling for our medicos' heads when some thought we had played Polec too many weeks before diagnosing the navicular.
With Trengove at the Demons it seems it could have been months or years.
Imagine the extra and perhaps irreparable damage that could have been caused. And then needing surgery rather than being able to use rest to heal it.

Of all our new recruits I actually wish the most for Trengove to come good.
Such potential.
Will be a massive massive sadness and disappointment if he doesn't make it back to at least playing regular good AFL footy.

Looks like Boak in this pic

Maybe an old pic because:

A hamstring concern has kept Port Adelaide captain Travis Boak away and Richmond premiership skipper Trent Cotchin is attending a funeral.

The trio will be missing when club captains face journalists at the League's annual captains' media call at Etihad Stadium on Thursday afternoon, but the three clubs will still be represented.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-15/three-skippers-miss-breakfast-with-commission

Maybe an old pic because (though I note it says breakfast with commission and not necessarily captains day are they the same thing?):

A hamstring concern has kept Port Adelaide captain Travis Boak away and Richmond premiership skipper Trent Cotchin is attending a funeral.

The trio will be missing when club captains face journalists at the League's annual captains' media call at Etihad Stadium on Thursday afternoon, but the three clubs will still be represented.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-15/three-skippers-miss-breakfast-with-commission
Yep, must be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And if I did open the article it says the pic is from 2017. Carry on.

I blame this on reading big footy whilst looking after grand kids.

Actually no! I read up on this before. He suffered a stress fracture to a different part of the same foot in 2012.
Source?
Then after recovery, his form seemed to drop off in 2013. Then he was diagnosed with the navicular fracture in April 2014 and underwent his first surgery then. He was back ruining within months and ready to be traded to Richmond in October, when the medical revealed more damage. He then had his second surgery. There was an article in the age last year that mentioned it is thought he actually had the navicular fracture for some time before it was diagnosed in April 2014.
There are multiple reports that he was struggling in 2012 after his 3 month recovery (6 weeks rest, slow increase of running load). Presumably he was having discomfort with it if they think now that he had it before the diagnosis. They are difficult to diagnose, do you not think it is more likely that the fracture didn't heal or recurred than his previous foot injury/fracture/whatever cause a fracture somewhere else? High distance training (ie weekly accumulative distance) is a risk factor for recurrent stress fractures.

Melbourne drafted him with pick 2, they have no interest in mismanaging him and running him into the ground.

The medical staff followed what seems to be standard practice for stress fractures with the initial injury in 2012. They also have no reason to mismanage him from an ethical or professional point of view. Navicular injuries can be difficult to diagnose. If imaging didn't show evidence of a fracture it is reasonable to not manage it as such. When it was diagnosed, it was treated.
After his June 2014 surgery he did not weight bear for eight weeks and did not return to running outside (would have been on zero impact machine like we saw videos of Polec on) for 22 weeks (~5 months).

Looks like Boak in this pic

Yep, old pic. Cotchin replaced by Jack Riewoldt , Hurn replaced by Gaff, Wines in, and Viney's turn this year.
574652-tlslargelandscape.jpg

Yep, old pic. Cotchin replaced by Jack Riewoldt , Hurn replaced by Gaff, Wines in, and Viney's turn this year.
574652-tlslargelandscape.jpg
WTF couldn't the AFL afford 2 or 3 more chairs. Making the AFL captains sit on the ground like its an U/10 photo is rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back