Let's talk Ports! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

What do we do with

Wines, SPP, Rockliff, Atley.

They're all similar players. Rockliff we are committed to until retirement. SPP another 2 years, Wines and Atley out of contract this year. Some say Wines aint' going anywhere. I like Wines top tier player. What would he net us if he left?

Based on last years trades a top 3 pick?

Top pick?

Hmmm Atley won't get us anything trading him out, but he's to state the obvious no Wines either.

What do we do with

Wines, SPP, Rockliff, Atley.

They're all similar players. Rockliff we are committed to until retirement. SPP another 2 years, Wines and Atley out of contract this year. Some say Wines aint' going anywhere. I like Wines top tier player. What would he net us if he left?

Based on last years trades a top 3 pick?

Top pick?

Hmmm Atley won't get us anything trading him out, but he's to state the obvious no Wines either.

We keep them all Rick. They are all current or potential first 22 players. You don't give away your best or your future. And you don't build a good culture by trading away quality players who want to be here.

The real question is what do we do with Hewett, Toumpas, Snelling, Thomas etc?

Our list is unbalanced and we need to stop picking safe possession padding flankers and get some talls in.

This applies equally to the composition of our Magpies sanfl list.

I was interested to see Nicks has been with us since 2011.

Coaching appears to part of the problem. We moved on S Hart, do we look at Nicks end of year?

An article on integrity in The Age by our own Amanda Vanstone.
Posted here due to her comments on our PAFC
Executives who look the other way are no better than common crooksAt the mighty Port Adelaide Football Club I am the director with a specific focus on integrity issues. The AFL is a long way from perfect but one of their integrity guys reminded me of one of those home truths. He said that in each of the three biggest integrity scandals in his time, including Essendon, there were people who knew something was wrong. They just didn't think they had a safe pathway to raise it. So every year our CEO sends every staff member a message. Roughly it says, "Our values and integrity are important. If you see something wrong it's best to go to your line manager. We recognise that isn't always feasible so there are three people outside the club's employ to whom you can turn." It's not perfect and ideally no one will need those names. But if they do, it will have been worthwhile.

Getting both the culture and compliance right means understanding the daily life of your team from the ground level up.

Coaching appears to part of the problem. We moved on S Hart, do we look at Nicks end of year?
2011 and 2012 was a part time development coach, had not match day role. 2013, 2014, 2015 had defence then Basset came and moved out of there. 2016 forwards. 2017 and 2018 as a senior assistant. Has been doing the AFL coaching accreditation course from levels 1 to 4, for 3 or 4 years and graduated mid last year. Dew and Goodwin were part of his 7 people inaugural level 4 intake in 2015.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-22/coachings-generation-next-get-their-stripes

I asked Basset about the level 4 course, and he reckons every new senior coach in the AFL, within 10 years will have completed the course.

I'm becoming more convinced that Bassett is the problem. Joined in 2016 when we had our worst year under Hinkley and although we choked a few games in 2015 we were far more competitive that year than we have been since.

As good as the individual defenders have been in one off performances we've been absolutely rubbish at moving the ball outside of d50 in any damaging fashion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bassett flies a bit under the radar because of the fact we were so hard to score against across some of the past few years. People who look a bit deeper than that would see it's because we were playing 50 defenders and always had extra behind the ball. We literally robbed our attacking game to enhance our defensive game.

Then in the middle of the ground we have Voss who has had an absolute luxury of insanely talented midfielders and taken them progressively backwards if that was even possible. Reducing our forward entries into the widest of angles on the wing, getting it punched out by a defender two times the size of the target up forward forcing a stoppage. Which coincidentally, we ******* suck at winning.

Then up forward we've had Nicks/Lade and it's been empty because they are all busy #teamdefenceing or otherwise falling over for no reason.

Bassett flies a bit under the radar because of the fact we were so hard to score against across some of the past few years. People who look a bit deeper than that would see it's because we were playing 50 defenders and always had extra behind the ball. We literally robbed our attacking game to enhance our defensive game.

Then in the middle of the ground we have Voss who has had an absolute luxury of insanely talented midfielders and taken them progressively backwards if that was even possible. Reducing our forward entries into the widest of angles on the wing, getting it punched out by a defender two times the size of the target up forward forcing a stoppage. Which coincidentally, we ******* suck at winning.

Then up forward we've had Nicks/Lade and it's been empty because they are all busy #teamdefenceing or otherwise falling over for no reason.
Bassett isn't as good as first appears, but it all starts (or rather doesn't all too often) with the midfield. If our midfield performed to its 'on paper' reputation then there'd be no need to load extra players down back or pull our forwards so far up the ground to help out. We've had games where we've lost and thought, 'the defense held up ok, considering how much the ball was delivered cleanly in' or 'the forwards did ok, but had too few chances', but I'm struggling to think of a loss where we'd go 'Yeah, the defense and/or forwards were s**t, but the midfield can hold it's head high'. It's hard to get a true reading on the backs and forwards when our midfield is such a steaming pile.

"16. Port Adelaide - Matthew Panos
Port need another tall forward, and Panos is the best genuine forward available at this point."

Fast forward 10 years and he's a midfielder at Norwood.

Of similar weirdery,

IMG_8546.jpg

I know he was a utility at junior level because of his size, but the description there is the antithesis of the Steve Johnson clone he immediately became.

Post Showdown results - Look at when we win in this post. We have now won 22 games and our 21 post wins results dissected

Win a home showdown and then play at Home 1-3
Rd 22 2003 Win by 16 pts LOSE QF to Sydney by 12 pts
Rd 16 2008 Win by 12 pts LOSE Rd 17 to Freo by 28 pts
Rd 17 2010 Win by 19 pts WIN Rd 18 to Hawthorn by 8 pts
Rd 4 2011 Win by 32 pts LOOSE Rd 5 to Gold Coast by 3 pts

Win a home showdown and then play Away 3-5
Rd 4 1998 Win by 9 pts LOSE Rd 5 Melbourne MCG 49 pts
Rd 21 1999 Win by 24 pts LOSE Rd 22 WB Princess Park 67 pts
Rd 18 2001 Win by 8 pts WIN Rd 19 St Kilda Docklands 11 pts
Rd 20 2002 Win by 8 pts WIN Rd 20 WCE by 38 pts
Rd 21 2006 Win by 14 pts LOSE Rd 22 Freo by 28 pts
Rd 6 2009 Win by 26 pts LOSE Rd 7 North Docklands by 5 pts
Rd 3 2013 Win by 9 pts WIN Rd 4 Gold Coast by 38 pts
Rd 2 2014 Win by 54 pts LOSE Rd 3 North Docklands by 7 pts

Win an away showdown and then play at Home 5-1
Rd 4 1997 Win by 11 pts WIN Rd 5 Brisbane by 2 pts
Rd 3 2001 Win by 65 pts WIN Rd 3 St Kilda by 65 pts
Rd 5 2002 Win by 8 pts WIN Rd 6 West Coast by 58 pts
Rd 5 2003 Win by 12 pts WIN Rd 6 Richmond by 27 pts
Rd 22 2004 Win by 25 pts WIN QF Geelong by 55 pts
Rd 5 2015 Win by 24 pts LOSE Rd 6 West Coast by 10 pts

Win a away showdown and then play Away 1-1
Rd 6 2010 Win by 23 pts WIN Rd 7 Essendon Docklands by 3 pts
Rd 19 2016 Win by 4 pts LOSE Rd 20 Geelong at KP by 25 pts

Win away showdown - final game of the year as no finals 0-0
Rd 22 2000 Win 47 pts

So after our previous 21 wins we are 10 wins and 10 losses with 1 game the final game for the year.

After a home showdown win we are 4-8 and after an away showdown win we are 6-2.

Playing in Adelaide after a showdown win we are 6-4 but away from Adelaide we are 4-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back