Let's talk Ports! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a problem with Kenny being a coach that gets around his players and gets the best out of them as that is a critical role.

If he's supported by assistants who are regarded as "tactical" or "game-day" elite, e.g. like Phil Walsh was before he left for the Crows then an arm around the shoulder head coach is ok.

I just don't think we've had that, (except maybe for Bassett?), in recent seasons as the output of every line has decreased (at least our young defenders seem to be improving individually). Hopefully Schofield and Monty can rectify that in the mids and up forward.

I don't have a problem with Kenny being a coach that gets around his players and gets the best out of them as that is a critical role.

If he's supported by assistants who are regarded as "tactical" or "game-day" elite, e.g. like Phil Walsh was before he left for the Crows then an arm around the shoulder head coach is ok.

I just don't think we've had that, (except maybe for Bassett?), in recent seasons as the output of every line has decreased (at least our young defenders seem to be improving individually). Hopefully Schofield and Monty can rectify that in the mids and up forward.

A big problem is he’s delegated too much to Bassett. Bassett is a big part of the problem.
Whatever the case we’re stuck with Hinkley for the foreseeable future. No amount of whinging is going to change that. The hope now is that someone other than Bassett, let’s say.......Schofield, starts to impose his will and ideas on Hinkley very quickly and Bassett can go back to imparting his dour, defensive philosophies on our defending, not on our entire game style including the way we move the ball.

I daresay most probably live around West Lakes/Beach.

Back in the day, my dads mate who lives at Alberton used to be a few houses down from Primus.
Yeah would have thought Grange, Glenelg, ect areas. Not sure genre why I asked.

People like Schofield and Montgomery I have no problem with. These guys have been out of the club for over a decade, with experience at multiple other clubs. If we had simply promoted PStew to coach (rather than welfare), or hired Schulz/Monfries as a coach without them having experience elsewhere - I'd have a problem with it.

Schofield was massive hot property. Getting his signature is a massive coup for us. If this guy wants to come to your club you don’t say “Soz m8, but we’re looking for someone from the outside”
If we took that attitude we’d have never gotten Phil Walsh back to the club.

A big problem is he’s delegated too much to Bassett. Bassett is a big part of the problem.
Whatever the case we’re stuck with Hinkley for the foreseeable future. No amount of whinging is going to change that. The hope now is that someone other than Bassett, let’s say.......Schofield, starts to impose his will and ideas on Hinkley very quickly and Bassett can go back to imparting his dour, defensive philosophies on our defending, not on our entire game style including the way we move the ball.

I don't know if he's delegated enough?? But how would we know from the outside anyway?

My gut feel is that under times of pressure people revert back to what feels safe. Hinkley, Bassett and Nicks were all defenders (with varying degrees of rebound) and this is my fear for Monty as well - but maybe Schofield can get enough of a lift out of our mids to create more scoring opportunities.

I don't know if he's delegated enough?? But how would we know from the outside anyway?

My gut feel is that under times of pressure people revert back to what feels safe. Hinkley, Bassett and Nicks were all defenders (with varying degrees of rebound) and this is my fear for Monty as well - but maybe Schofield can get enough of a lift out of our mids to create more scoring opportunities.

You’re right, we don’t really know. But you can go on our style of play when certain chief sounding boards were at the club.
When Walsh was here we were very much an attacking, risk taking side. Enter Bassett and it’s all turned on it’s head.

a559d2408c7bb3aa799d0afa63a55fac.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frampton be like "I want Kenny to invest in me as a person."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're going to make this argument, probably best to worry about it at the coaching level. Not the player welfare level.

Plus, he's a ******* legend. Everyone knows it.

Was this actually a vacant position, did somebody else have the role before?
Was this position advertised to the public?

Schofield was massive hot property. Getting his signature is a massive coup for us. If this guy wants to come to your club you don’t say “Soz m8, but we’re looking for someone from the outside”
If we took that attitude we’d have never gotten Phil Walsh back to the club.

My hope is that we get a strong alpha male forwards coach, someone that wont stay quiet when the Bassett/Hinkley team defence theories are dominating discussions. Make Tim Ginever forwards coach ;)

Brett Montgomery played a variety of positions and I would not categorise him purely as a defender. Monty was often used to pinch hit as a small forward by Chocco and he kicked four goals for the Western Bulldogs in the 2007 Elimination Final against Collingwood. Brett kicked 119 goals in a 204 game career so he played forward quite a bit.

It is probably immaterial because he is no longer with us but Matthew Nicks wasn't a defender. He played mainly as a wingman/ forward for the Swans and kicked 125 goals in a 175 game career. In fact my concern is that I always saw Nicks as a pretty attacking footballer yet under Hinkley he became part of an ultra defensive match day strategy.

I think Brett Montgomery had enough of an attacking side to his game to know the value of run and kick football. Like you I hope that the Hinkley/Bassett influence doesn't smoother that.

Brett Montgomery played a variety of positions and I would not categorise him purely as a defender. Monty was often used to pinch hit as a small forward by Chocco and he kicked four goals for the Western Bulldogs in the 2007 Elimination Final against Collingwood. Brett kicked 119 goals in a 204 game career so he played forward quite a bit.

It is probably immaterial because he is no longer with us but Matthew Nicks wasn't a defender. He played mainly as a wingman/ forward for the Swans and kicked 125 goals in a 175 game career. In fact my concern is that I always saw Nicks as a pretty attacking footballer yet under Hinkley he became part of an ultra defensive match day strategy.

I think Brett Montgomery had enough of an attacking side to his game to know the value of run and kick football. Like you I hope that the Hinkley/Bassett influence doesn't smoother that.

lol why are you calling everyone by their full name?

Wingman/forward that didn't average close to a goal a game can't coach forwards to kick goals.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

He's just being polite old chap.

Kenneth James Hinkley is an average coach, Wharfie_1870. I don't know why Keith Neville Thomas ratified a three year deal for him. David Arnold Koch had better shut his mouth on social media or the Port Adelaide Football Club fans will be quite cross with him since he should have pressured Keith Neville Thomas to move on Nathan Daniel Bassett and Michael J. Voss.

Forthwith, I declare that we should attempt to retain Chadley Norman Wingard but move on Jack Ronald Hombsch and Jacob Irving Neade.

Kenneth James Hinkley is an average coach, Wharfie_1870. I don't know why Keith Neville Thomas ratified a three year deal for him. David Arnold Koch had better shut his mouth on social media or the Port Adelaide Football Club fans will be quite cross with him since he should have pressured Keith Neville Thomas to move on Nathan Daniel Bassett and Michael J. Voss.

Forthwith, I declare that we should attempt to retain Chadley Norman Wingard but move on Jack Ronald Hombsch and Jacob Irving Neade.
Michael J. Voss :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back