Let's talk Ports! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wow, both the Ansett Cup and the Wizard Cup.

That's a lotta Cup!

Still cross that the threepeat was derailed by the preseason starting later due to making a Prelim in the michael mouse stuff the September before.

Meady you gotta be taking the piss in retrospect.

maxresdefault.jpg

Mark Bouris was the Wizard Cup winner no doubt.

Wizard Home Loans was founded by Bouris in 1996 and was sold to GE Money in 2004 for $500 million. Subsequently Wizard was sold by GE to competitor, Aussie Home Loans, for a fraction of the $500 million during the midst of the Global Financial Crisis in December 2008.

No one expected them to take Doedee though. He was meant to go much later.

Ogilvie doesn't make many mistakes in the draft. I've always said his problem is that his picks are always the same - he doesn't really take players with risk. So he'd always select a Talia over a Rance, for example. Always the players who when the chips are down would play conservative football than aggressive football.

Personally I think that's where we fell down last season. Someone looked at what Adelaide did in 2017 and thought "Hey, that s**t works really well! If we added that to our system, with our defensive pressure and run, it would be fantastic!" But the problem was...our players aren't conservative. That's why you saw stupid s**t that happened in the West Coast game...you reckon Adelaide would have tried to score again in that circumstance? Or would have they held onto the ball and kicked it around?

Adelaide plays a rigid system because they've got conservative, rigid players. Hence why Betts is considered a god to the Crows, because he's pretty much the only player on their list that isn't conservative. Whereas you look at Port - I would say there are more players who like to take risks then there are not. Powell-Pepper, Motlop, Clurey, Bonner, Robbie Gray, Boak, Watts, Dixon, Houston, Rockliff, Ryder, Johnson, Farrell, Hartlett, Burton...you're more likely to see them taking a gamble on the field when they are playing well. Polec and Wingard were the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doedee is a star. He's a ******* great young prospect.

Certainly proved me wrong, I was in the "lol that's a reach" camp when they picked him so early.

Hombsch putting the ball down his throat in the That’s So Port Bowl was one of those real “so this is really how it is now” convergences for all and sundry.

Who would honestly gloat that they stuck by Ken if he ever turns the ship around? it's more a case of about far king time old mate.

I hear about this building a model for sustained success deal under this regime but it's tracking more toward a mission accomplished hopefully before the ass falls out vibe if they ever get there IMO.

Who would honestly gloat that they stuck by Ken if he ever turns the ship around? it's more a case of about far king time old mate.

I hear about this building a model for sustained success deal under this regime but it's tracking more toward a mission accomplished hopefully before the ass falls out vibe if they ever get there IMO.

You’d cop that, and we did, for 2015 and largely 2016. But all we have to show for the Hinkley regime is a flash-in-the-pan (which in itself was a waste) followed by 4 years of mediocrity showcasing some of the dullest joyless footy imaginable. While sacrificing two of our brightest lights.

At a time when competition for eyeballs and dollars has never been fiercer, we’re perfecting making footy a drab, Soviet-era failtacular chore.

Brilliant.

Hombsch putting the ball down his throat in the That’s So Port Bowl was one of those real “so this is really how it is now” convergences for all and sundry.

That was the ralphwiggumheartbreak.jpg for me and the moment I realised Jack's football career was over. Well for a real club anyway.

That was the ralphwiggumheartbreak.jpg for me and the moment I realised Jack's football career was over. Well for a real club anyway.

That was the moment? Poor old Hombschy had four or five worse moments in that game alone.

My hopes for him in 2014-2015 were absolutely sky high. Thought he was going to end up a Jeremy McGovern level KPD, and if injuries hadn't gotten to him I still reckon he could've. Such a waste.

That was the moment? Poor old Hombschy had four or five worse moments in that game alone.

My hopes for him in 2014-2015 were absolutely sky high. Thought he was going to end up a Jeremy McGovern level KPD, and if injuries hadn't gotten to him I still reckon he could've. Such a waste.

Let's just say it was the snowball effect.

SimplisticBlondBorer-size_restricted.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back