Let's talk Ports! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone help me out with this?
In an alternative reality where zoning exists and all SA clubs are in a national league, which current day players would we be entitled to?

Basically every player drafted from the Port Magpies I guess.

Current players would include Burgoyne, Ebert, S.Gray, Lycett, Greenwood, Broomhead and a few others.

Lets also hope we can celebrate by making the finals this year...

When they’re not shamelessly plagiarising Liverpool, how fortunate is the social media team to have such a rich (increasingly-ancient) history to delve into to placate the starving masses?

The alternative would be highlights packages of Shaun McManus, Shane Parker and Matthew Carr.

When they’re not shamelessly plagiarising Liverpool, how fortunate is the social media team to have such a rich (increasingly-ancient) history to delve into to placate the starving masses?

The alternative would be highlights packages of Shaun McManus, Shane Parker and Matthew Carr.

At least they managed to spell all the words in that tweet correctly. Progress.

1533303136654_GC91OQUOO.2-2.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have been mediocre in the AFL:

Seasons: 22
Overall Minor Round record: 249-230-5 (.520)
Overall Finals record: 11-12 (.478)

Seasons with winning Minor-Round record: 12
Seasons with a Top-4 finish: 5
Minor Premiers: 3

Seasons playing Finals: 10
Seasons with home Finals: 7
Seasons with Finals victory: 7
Preliminary Finals appearances: 5
Grand Finals appearances: 2
Premierships: 1

It is disappointing from Port's SANFL standards, and could definitely be better, but it is not bad. It is just meh...

We have been mediocre in the AFL:

Seasons: 22
Overall Minor Round record: 249-230-5 (.520)
Overall Finals record: 11-12 (.478)

Seasons with winning Minor-Round record: 12
Seasons with a Top-4 finish: 5
Minor Premiers: 3

Seasons playing Finals: 10
Seasons with home Finals: 7
Seasons with Finals victory: 7
Preliminary Finals appearances: 5
Grand Finals appearances: 2
Premierships: 1

It is disappointing from Port's SANFL standards, and could definitely be better, but it is not bad. It is just meh...

When looking at our overall AFL record it’s worth keeping in mind that we started out pretty strong. In the first 8 seasons we made the finals on 5 occasions and played in 3 preliminary finals. Our record in the following 14 seasons doesn’t even match that (5 and 2). Also our regular season winning percentage was through the roof in those first 8 years thanks largely to bumper seasons in 2002-04 and really only one poor season in 2000.

Anyway I guess my point is that since the 2004 flag we have been well below average.

When looking at our overall AFL record it’s worth keeping in mind that we started out pretty strong. In the first 8 seasons we made the finals on 5 occasions and played in 3 preliminary finals. Our record in the following 14 seasons doesn’t even match that (5 and 2). Also our regular season winning percentage was through the roof in those first 8 years thanks largely to bumper seasons in 2002-04 and really only one poor season in 2000.

Anyway I guess my point is that since the 2004 flag we have been well below average.

Push it out to 2007, so our first 11 seasons vs our 2nd 11 seasons and it even more damning.

The post-2007 decline was on a large part due to the accumulative effect of the SANFL screwing Port for so many years. Some poor decisions like re-signing Choco, and the crap that resulted in Burgoyne leaving didn't help.

We have turned the corner from those bleak times as club, but we have to make sure that we don't make the same blunders like re-signing coaches past their use-by date! Oh wait!

The post-2007 decline was on a large part due to the accumulative effect of the SANFL screwing Port for so many years. Some poor decisions like re-signing Choco, and the crap that resulted in Burgoyne leaving didn't help.

We have turned the corner from those bleak times as club, but we have to make sure that we don't make the same blunders like re-signing coaches past their use-by date! Oh wait!
How fluke was the 2007 season? Could it be that the decline was already there since 2005?

How fluke was the 2007 season? Could it be that the decline was already there since 2005?

Definitely. We lost really good players before their time (Francou, James, Primus, Dew) in the couple of seasons post-2004 and quality support staff too i.e. assistant coaches, fitness staff etc. Even the CEO called it a day!

2007 was the bones of the 2004 side, so about 10-12 quality players, but there wasn’t much meat on them. Essentially we caught fire in a weak year, lost a spiritual leader in Michael Wilson to injury in the PF and then got put back in our box by a turbo-charged Geelong outfit who were the best that year by an absolute country mile PEDs or no PEDs.

for me, it comes back to having no grand ambition after "join the AFL" then "win the AFL flag". there seemed to always be long term ideas, projects, ambition coming from key people that made the club what it is/was. i don't think there was much of a plan for the future after the 2000s?

Anyone having trouble getting the club website? For me it comes up for a moment and then goes to a blank screen.

Could it be:

Russian Hackers
Blocked by ASIO for getting too pally with the Chinese
Loading up the big Liberty Alliance/Red Bull/Tesla/BHP sponsorship announcement
Jumped the gun with the sponsorship announcement and had to pull it
Telstra snafu
Work experience kid pressed the wrong button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back