Let's talk Ports! Part 2

Andre

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Given that the sport is played on an oval pitch, and given the 50 m arcs, the goal "square" should be a goal "arc".
Does Sydney's 15 metre arc get to be actually 12 metres. And the MCG's more of a circle then AO's? These are the questions that need answering! (Well not really).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
Moderator #6,955
The orientation of the `diamond' was changed to a `square' because the point of the diamond ( particularly on the smaller suburban grounds) pushed the outer key forward (chf ) position too far back and caused extra congestion in the forward line as no player could enter the area until after the ball had been bounced, same as today.
Quite a few coaches and commentators of the time lamented that it was making the key outer attacking position redundant.
The `diamond' was brought in along with a couple of other rule changes to reduce the number of players at centre bounce downs, ie before coaches could just send multiple players into the centre to protect a lead and you would end up with continued ball ups with virtually no clean clearances and often very unattractive football, but orientated as a `diamond' it only moved that congestion further up the field.

I am old enough to have played ( or more to the point tried to play :rolleyes: ) suburban footy under the `diamond' system, and I am surprised that an old campaigner like Ford Fairlane doesn't remember it, unless of course he is only a middle aged campaigner masquerading as a golden oldie. ;)
I remember the diamond. I just wanted to participate in the Euclidean geometry discussion. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RussellEbertHandball

Flick pass expert
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
Do you have a photographic memory?
Haha. That one stood out because I hadn't seen a picture of a diamond for years. Also some wag made the comment like that's the last time North have played in front of a full house.

There are a **** load of forgettable threads on the main board.

bomberclifford

Importer/Exporter
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
Thread starter #6,969
Haha. That one stood out because I hadn't seen a picture of a diamond for years. Also some wag made the comment like that's the last time North have played in front of a full house.

There are a **** load of forgettable threads on the main board.
A simple ‘yes’ would suffice, REH. :)

ChristopHaha

semper ubi sub ubi
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Maggies, Spurs, Raiders?
I remember as a little kid watching the highlights of VFL games on Sunday afternoons and hearing Lou Richards commentate.

When someone scored a goal he would often say "that's full points".

Now to my young, untrained ears, not familiar with this strange Victorian accent, it sounded to me like he was saying "that's four points", so for a couple of years I laboured under the impression that in Victoria they only got four points for a goal and not six like in SA.
A very young Haha being confused because he misheard Kg referring to minor scores as minus scores.

tribey

5 Wins In-A-Row Certificate Recipients '13/'14/'18
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
NUFC, YES.
The SANFL's 2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw makes more sense than the VFL/AFL 4 and 2. The AFL's system is excessive and pointless.
It was initially implemented by Allen Aylett so teams could bank 2 of the points (1 for a draw) as a form of ‘September Superannuation’ that could be called upon in years hence for a rainy day.

Upon ascending to the top job Ross Oakley felt this may unduly benefit losing Preliminary Finalists Fitzroy, scuppering his dreams of rationalisation via merger, and so scrapped the scheme, leaving the extra points on the ladder to much Brunswick chagrin. I made all that up #pallets

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Arden Street. Someone put this tweet up last year in a thread on the main board or history board etc

It's fairly easy to see from that pic how far the point of the `diamond' encroached on the forward line, particularly on the shorter grounds.
The `diamond' was gone by the time South Melbourne were relocated to Sydney, but you can only imagine the chaos it could have caused there because at the time the 50 metre line on the SCG was only about 45 metres from the goal line.

NoddyHolder

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If there was an elephant running loose we could be sure.

I loved the 70s.
Lets stick a random kid on an elephant and let it run free in front of 20 thousand noisy strangers - most of them drunk.
What could possibly go wrong?

Bloody SJWs wouldn't allow it these days

GremioPower

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"
Uruguayana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD (USA)]
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Cleveland Indian
I loved the 70s.
Lets stick a random kid on an elephant and let it run free in front of 20 thousand noisy strangers - most of them drunk.
What could possibly go wrong?

Bloody SJWs wouldn't allow it these days
Most people survived it safe and sound, didn't they?

Top Bottom