Let's talk Ports! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Bradley played against an experienced former Port player in 1981.
Bradley played 5 games in 1981, Rd 3 against West Torrens, Rd 4 against Norwood, then got glandular fever had a couple of months off with that, played a few games in the reserves and then finals against South, Glenelg and Glenelg.

Peter Woite last played for Glenelg in 1980 so not him. Can't think of any long term from South or Norwood who played for Port first, so I think 70sDinosaur is right about Bob Enright. he played for Port 1976-78.

He would have played against blokes in those 3 finals games whose career went back to the late 1960's, Ralph Sewer at Glenelg but started at Woodville, South's Stuart Palmer, Glenelg's Fred Phillis and Graham Cornes, with Russell Ebert and Glenelg's Peter Carey who debuted in 1971.

Bradley played 5 games in 1981, Rd 3 against West Torrens, Rd 4 against Norwood, then got glandular fever had a couple of months off with that, played a few games in the reserves and then finals against South, Glenelg and Glenelg.

Peter Woite last played for Glenelg in 1980 so not him. Can't think of any long term from South or Norwood who played for Port first, so I think 70sDinosaur is right about Bob Enright. he played for Port 1976-78.

He would have played against blokes in those 3 finals games whose career went back to the late 1960's, Ralph Sewer at Glenelg but started at Woodville, South's Stuart Palmer, Glenelg's Fred Phillis and Graham Cornes, with Russell Ebert and Glenelg's Peter Carey who debuted in 1971.
Ralph sewer, first game in the 60s, final game in the 90s..

Ralph sewer, first game in the 60s, final game in the 90s..
1969-1990 just gets 4 decades. Bradley 1981-2002 only gets 3.

Would the club benefit from having its zones back?

I know I got trashed when I raised this idea before, but I still think that having our seconds playing in the VFL would allow us restoring the Magpies in the SANFL — competing on equal footing, forming players in our own Academy, supporting our local boys (and eventually also the girls).

I have no idea whether we already tried to take this route or, at least, the idea has been raised and discussed before. Still, so far, the trashing hasn't brought arguments that would make me give up on this.

Would the club benefit from having its zones back?

I know I got trashed when I raised this idea before, but I still think that having our seconds playing in the VFL would allow us restoring the Magpies in the SANFL — competing on equal footing, forming players in our own Academy, supporting our local boys (and eventually also the girls).

I have no idea whether we already tried to take this route or, at least, the idea has been raised and discussed before. Still, so far, the trashing hasn't brought arguments that would make me give up on this.
Doubt the club would be interested in this path owing to the expense of reestablishing everything again. The SANFL, too, may not be too concerned about retaining Port Adelaide post-AFL reserves.

We have too many loss-making ventures as it is without regaining the Eyre/Le Fevre.

Doubt the club would be interested in this path owing to the expense of reestablishing everything again. The SANFL, too, may not be too concerned about retaining Port Adelaide post-AFL reserves.

We have too many loss-making ventures as it is without regaining the Eyre/Le Fevre.
If VFL cannot be convinced of it, the point is moot. Then, if SANFL doesn't want it, that is on them. There is nothing we can do about it, but showing everyone that it is on them.

Besides, we have some of the Academy left. It is not related to SANFL footy anymore, but it is there. We wouldn't start totally from scratch.

I think that should have been our position from the get-go, when there was the merger. Did we try having our reserves in the VFL and preserve the Magpies as it was?

Having said that, I am thinking about now. It is not an easy route. I know. I am ASSUMING that we would be COMPETENT enough to pull this off (a huge "if"). The question is whether the effort would be worthy. Would the club as a whole gain from it?

Would this help reinforcing the club's link to its past? Would this help bringing the club closer to its community? Would this help reasserting the club's identity in our AFL side? Would this help PAFC? That is the question.

If the answer is "yes," then we start worrying about the practical challenges it brings. It may not be feasible. Still, why shouldn't we be, at least, discussing it?

This selection stuff relates to the Cornes brothers IMO. There was stuff regularly leaked to the media and the Cornes brothers were blamed for it. Don't know if it was the case or not but they were the suspects. A leak from the club was discovered when Haysman got the arse, but it wasn't a player.

Wasn't it that stats guy turned mid coach - bRyan?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone remember our first year in the AFL where several coaches noted with surprise that even though we were raw, young etc the general tone was "geez they crack in". I want that Port back. Not the one we currently have of letting games slip in the first quarter only to peter out predictably to a loss. What kind of coaching, leadership, football club allows that consistently like we seem to do? It's embarrassing now and unforgivable. Something big needs to change soon.

Wasn't it that stats guy turned mid coach - bRyan?
Not that I'm aware of. There was a leak discovered from the non footy department when Haysman got axed.

Pointless stat of the day, nearly getting to scrubs that tear us apart level:

Hipwood v Port, 6 goals, v rest of competition, 10 goals
Lynch v Port, 6 goals, v rest of competition, 18 goals
Petruccelle, v Port, 5 goals, v rest of competition, 8 goals
Larkey, v Port, 3 goals, v rest of competition (only 4 games), 5 goals
Stephenson, v Port, 4 goals, v rest of competition, 13 goals
Lynch v2, v Port, 3 goals, v rest of competition, 6 goals
Gunston, v Port, 6 goals, v rest of competition, 10 goals

percentage of goals v Port:
Hipwood: 37.5%
Lynch (rich): 25%
Petruccelle: 38.5%
Larkey: 37.5%
Stephenson: 23.5%
Lynch (adel): 33%
Gunston: 37.5%

This is insane.

Team defence has completely fallen apart this year. Thing is, we could see it coming. As soon as the club announced that we'd be more attacking, many predicted that it would be at the detriment of something else.

Hentschel to defence and Bassett to the forward line is looking really inspired.

This is insane.

Team defence has completely fallen apart this year. Thing is, we could see it coming. As soon as the club announced that we'd be more attacking, many predicted that it would be at the detriment of something else.

We could all see that some of our defenders are quite average 1 on 1. It's staggering we haven't managed to improve any to a level where we re comfortable more times than not seeing them one out.

We could all see that some of our defenders are quite average 1 on 1. It's staggering we haven't managed to improve any to a level where we re comfortable more times than not seeing them one out.

I think individually Clurey, Dougal and Houston are fine but there's a breakdown in communication. We still look lost coming out of defensive 50 and are prone to turning it over at the wrong times.

Team defence - great in theory - shithouse in practice.

Ben Long or Matt Parker (or both) will kick a bag this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back