Let's talk Ports! Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen the ugly sweater with 3 Sydney Swans logos that we are selling at the moment? This club is absolutely screwed.

View attachment 735827
Jeez the club wants to be Sydney so bad, to the point that we've stolen their logo.

Is the Port Store website even ran by the club? I just assumed it was an off site marketing arm that all AFL clubs use

Still not sure if legit, but when you google it you see that there was a listing linking to our store, but when you click on it it gets nowhere. Maybe it was photo-shopped. Maybe it was a * up.

Is the Port Store website even ran by the club? I just assumed it was an off site marketing arm that all AFL clubs use
It's not run by the club. Someone got in contact with them a couple of years ago to buy a prison bars guernsey and got told "try the Collingwood store lol".

Harlott

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Over the last five years I'm reminded of this

The Magpies trailed by 17 points at three-quarter time but Mick Malthouse's men kicked five goals to Hawthorn's two in the final term to win 10.8 (68) to 9.11 (65) in front of 87,112 fans.

"I don't want our players to have a warm fuzzy feeling about being noble and all that sort of stuff," Clarkson fumed after losing to the defending premiers.

"We set ourselves to win this game and go to a grand final and we failed.

"If that hurts then that's what we've got to deal with.

"When it's just sitting right in front of you and you feel like you can touch it, it's just so hard to cop."

and this

"Hawks captain Luke Hodge savaged his team's last quarter, calling it "pathetic".

Hodge repeatedly said in a post-game interview that three quarters of good football is not enough in such a big match.

The captain did not care about platitudes for Hawthorn's outstanding performance for most of the match.

"We were able to do it for three quarters and three quarters isn't enough in a prelim final," he said."

"That's the disappointing thing - we knew we had to play four quarters of football and to finish with what we finished with in that last quarter was pathetic."

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's outsourced. Am prepared to accept the pic was genuine, as I've had personal experience this year buying kit that looked very different to the pic on the site, and had to be returned.

FWIW the service is not good, we've had other problems with incorrect and incomplete orders.. Would love it to go back in house but as others have said, it's an AFL-wide arrangement.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
As others have posted above, it is not run by the club. It is run by Infinite Retail.

I usually don't worry about comparing Port with the crows too often, as the other 16 teams are usually harder to beat on and off the field. Blight said something about them being mediocre which made me look at the 2 teams over this decade. We are marginally worse but its been a dismal decade for both teams compared to the naughties.

Last edited:

Work Hardery

All Australian
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's run by a mob called Infinite Retail who look after several other AFL clubs too. The generic ugly sweater is a league wide merch range and would have been a photoshop * up. It's been fixed now

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Boaky posted an insta story of his dog earlier, indicating to me that he probably wasn't in Melbourne for the All Australian announcement and as such wouldn't be in the team.

However he's now posted a subsequent story with what looks like a live cross media type setup in his loungeroom.

Hope he gets a guernsey, he's thoroughly deserved it this year.

Boaky posted an insta story of his dog earlier, indicating to me that he probably wasn't in Melbourne for the All Australian announcement and as such wouldn't be in the team.

However he's now posted a subsequent story with what looks like a live cross media type setup in his loungeroom.

Hope he gets a guernsey, he's thoroughly deserved it this year.

Don't think he will. If it was decided in the first half of the year then yeah. But he dropped off in the second half of the season (mostly Ken's fault) and there are other mids who have had better full seasons.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Don't think he will. If it was decided in the first half of the year then yeah. But he dropped off in the second half of the season (mostly Ken's fault) and there are other mids who have had better full seasons.
And the one in general that it’s supposedly for the year, but judges always fall prey to recency bias. Which explains why in general under Ken we do poorly for AA’s, as our second half of seasons are usually worse then first halves.

Cockle Diver

Debutant
Apr 18, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Keiran Agius has passed away at 21 years of age after a battle with cancer. He was an SANFL listed player in 2016 and played 2 games for the Maggies.

Keiran Agius has passed away at 21 years of age after a battle with cancer. He was an SANFL listed player in 2016 and played 2 games for the Maggies.

My condolences to the Agius family.

70sDinosaur

Premiership Player
May 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Suck a dick Laird. If not for 'Port Power' having some ambition and graduating from that tinpot league to give someone else a chance to win a few flags for a change, nobody would know who you are. And even now nobody outside of South Australia knows who you are.
I live outside of SA and I don't know who he is.

I thought he was that bloke who plays for the crows and he was filling in his spare time coaching Centrals.

ESPN season summary

Our preseason opinion: "Port Adelaide finished 10th last season -- missing finals by just one game -- and I expect a similar year from them in 2019. A tricky draw to start could shatter confidence early and make a finals berth tough, but on the other side, a 3-1 start or better could be a springboard for a return to the bottom end of the top eight."

How did they go? For the third year of the past four, the Power finished 10th on the ladder. Again missing finals can only be considered a fail for Ken Hinkley and Co. and the pressure will no doubt be even more intense in 2020.

But there appears to be more of a silver lining to this year's 10th-place finish after Port invested heavily in the draft last offseason with an eye to the future. And the kids are good, with Connor Rozee (pick 5), Zak Butters (12) and Xavier Duursma (18) producing outstanding debut seasons.

A percentage of 105.4 indicates Port were more good than bad, but the extremes of their performances from week to week would be hugely concerning. Also concerning was Port's inability to convert their midfield dominance, being No.1 for inside 50s per game but only 15th for scoring once inside 50. They also dominated time in forward half but only ranked 14th for offensive efficiency and 16th for scoring accuracy.

Plenty to work on over summer but also plenty of reasons for optimism.

Grading: C-

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/27423410/afl-season-2019-grades-non-finalists

I reckon Butters is a bit lucky that Rozee and Duursma were so good. Lazy journos keep throwing out the 'Port's first round picks all had excellent seasons' line. Butters was fine for his age this year, certainly showed plenty of glimpses, but he was nowhere near Rozee and Duursma's level.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
ESPN season summary

How did they go? Again missing finals can only be considered a fail for Ken Hinkley and Co. and the pressure will no doubt be even more intense in 2020.
Nice to see an organisation that isn't stacked with Geelong people or coached / played / gamble on the Dogs with Ken, for an honest opinion.

Keiran Agius was a member of the SAASTA Tour Group to Hong Kong and Beijing in late 2015, so would be in the photo on KT’s wall of the lads performing their haka in the snow on the Great Wall. (KT’s first visit to the Mainland.)

Saw him play versus the Hong Kong Dragons in an exhibition match, twelve a side, on the HKFC Main Pitch. Excellent game it was, too. Keiran injured his ankle and I went to the Sportsmans Bar to collect ice to pack it with.

News like this makes me wonder what the hell I’m griping about.

RIP young fella.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back