Let's talk Ports! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robbie is still a very good player but last year was very clearly his least good year since 2013 when he was coming back from the ACL injury. It was clearly Westhoff's worst year for a long time too.
He was crap until he got his hand injury sorted 1/3 into the season. But was great for the rest of the season.

This is how I've ranked Robbie in the last 5 years via the votes.

2019 - 2nd (Behind Boak)
2018 - 1st
2017 - 3rd (Behind Dixon and Polec)
2016 - 1st
2015 - 1st

He was crap until he got his hand injury sorted 1/3 into the season. But was great for the rest of the season.

This is how I've ranked Robbie in the last 5 years via the votes.

2019 - 2nd (Behind Boak)
2018 - 1st
2017 - 3rd (Behind Dixon and Polec)
2016 - 1st
2015 - 1st

people are missing the point. Coaches coming out saying they expect improvement from the senior players are kidding themselves.

best is they hold their level and the juniors improve year on year Eg Houston, DBJ, Cluery etc

all I'm saying and I used Robbie as an example not a rule, that older players being relied on to improve when age works against all of us is folly, older players decline, it's natural not improve.

Come on Rick. You've been blaming Robbie for our under performing side for the past year ad nauseam.

Come on Rick. You've been blaming Robbie for our under performing side for the past year ad nauseam.

well if these senior players retire without a premiership I’d suggest I was right.

mum not talking about Gray however I’m talking about the principle statement that we are relying on old players to improve is flawed

So George Fiachi takes over as Harness Racing SA CEO and next day Fertiliser headlines screaming Uncertain Future

oh and Olsen’s stepping down from the Sa Football Commission apparently

Harness racing shouldn’t have a future at all. s**t sport for carny types.

well if these senior players retire without a premiership I’d suggest I was right.

mum not talking about Gray however I’m talking about the principle statement that we are relying on old players to improve is flawed

If Robbie Gray retires without a premiership, the last person I will be blaming is Robbie Gray. What a silly thing to say.

If Robbie Gray retires without a premiership, the last person I will be blaming is Robbie Gray. What a silly thing to say.

Don’t forget that if a senior player improves at all he’s been “faking” it his whole career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to see this used in a Showdown tweet Alyx ;)

proxy.php

Personally I don't think it's silly to say if the leaders of the club for 12 years aren't involved in a premiership it's a fail. It's a fail. It's like syaing don't blame Hinkley for no success after 10 years as it's the players fault.

The first point is just silly. Hypothetically would you still be ‘right’ if we’d won in 07 when a couple of our senior players were rookies ? Or do we have to win a premiership when they are senior players for them not to be failures.

On the second point I’d suggest you are reading way too much into things.

Last edited:
It's not really about Robbie and it's not really about premierships. The point is that as a whole, the core of our team over the last decade or so - Boak, Gray, Harlett, Westhoff, Jonas, Ebert, etc - have as a collective failed to lead the club to any level of success or any sort of consistent assault on the premiership. They aren't individually to blame but as a collective they have failed the club. If that's what Rick means, I think it's a fair enough point to make.

It's not really about Robbie and it's not really about premierships. The point is that as a whole, the core of our team over the last decade or so - Boak, Gray, Harlett, Westhoff, Jonas, Ebert, etc - have as a collective failed to lead the club to any level of success or any sort of consistent assault on the premiership. They aren't individually to blame but as a collective they have failed the club. If that's what Rick means, I think it's a fair enough point to make.

Rick is ageist. He hates everyone over 21 including himself.

well if these senior players retire without a premiership I’d suggest I was right. ...
I agree, if senior players like Robbie and Boak end their careers without a premiership after being one club players at Ports and having won multiple Jack Cahill Medals and made the AA team multiple times they have only got themselves to blame for sticking with that ridiculous game plan.

Boak (when played in the middle) and Gray are separate from Hartlett, Westhoff, Jonas and Ebert. Hartlett is mentally weak (when fit) - 'Oh nah, midfield is too hard'. Westhoff is unreliable when required. Jonas is undersized and subject to brain fades and doesn't lead on field. Ebert can't hit the side of a barn regularly. The latter four can cop some blame (although way down the list from head coach, poor assistants, over emphasis on running and poor trading / drafting (Jeopardy question. Ken Hinkley and Chris Davies. Answer : Who hates talls)).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back