Let's talk Ports! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The club provide more than just a shirt, from experience in ATCA, ovals with turf pitches are usually the hardest thing to find when you want to add a side. It's likely they had a connection at Grange but it helps that Grange are a big club and probably have control over several ovals including the 2 at their club.

PACC play in the district competition (i.e. SACA-run). The Port boys were playing more social T20s in the turf cricket competition (ATCA).

That said, there are a couple of ATCA clubs closer to Alberton but I'd assume somebody at Port has a pre-existing link to Grange and also who cares.

Thanks for the feedback, Pepe.

Perhaps it is my upbringing of growing up in Taperoo and the Port that makes me question this sort of thing. I wouldn't think of playing for a club out of the port area back in those days. Even today after living and working all over the country and other countries, that feeling is still there. As the old saying goes, ''You can take a boy out of the Port but you can't take the Port out of the boy''.

Last edited:

Grange is more expensive than Port.

Our blokes are connoisseurs.

Most of the lads live around grange so might have something to do with it too

A few weeks ago when the club rang about raffle tickets I said no - my little protest - but they rang again today about the same thing and I succumbed. Because they're building a museum for the 150th.

Raffle seller would have been like hahaha got em'

we're building a museum - always have been, always will be
The question is which decade?

The club should have started this 10-20 years ago and just rented out one of those great unused colonial/early federation buildings in the heart of The Port for a peppercorn rent from the government, to collect stuff before some of the oldies died off and stuff was lost because their kids and grand kids didn't know what to do with the stuff.

Set it up, rotate the collection, build up its value in the minds of fans as well as value of the collection, and then when we have the funds to build an appropriate venue, move it to Alberton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
PORT ADELAIDE'S quintet of big men aren't only capable of playing in the same team, but they could become a considerable weapon, Power coach Ken Hinkley has warned.
During the off-season Port snared West Coast premiership ruckman Scott Lycett (203cms), adding further height to a list that already boasted athletic ruckman Paddy Ryder (197cms), the versatile Westhoff (200cms) and key forwards Charlie Dixon (200cms) and Todd Marshall (198cms).
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-05/power-to-copy-west-coast-blueprint-and-play-big-five-hinkley

Butcher = flags, just as I've always argued.

Every time Netflix adds new content there’s a part of me that dies a little inside when there isn’t a counterfactual movie about Hinkley keeping faith in Butcher as second banana to Schulz and then Dixon and it providing the requisite structure and firepower for us to win all the flags.

Every time Netflix adds new content there’s a part of me that dies a little inside when there isn’t a counterfactual movie about Hinkley keeping faith in Butcher as second banana to Schulz and then Dixon and it providing the requisite structure and firepower for us to win all the flags.

When I discover the secret to time travel, the first thing i'm doing is going to Maffra in 2004 or so and sorting Butcher's set shot routine for good.

That 2014 game versus Brisbane where it was Sam Gray over Butcher requires a trigger warning.

That 2014 game versus Brisbane where it was Sam Gray over Butcher requires a trigger warning.

Or, in the affirmative, the 2016 game at the Gabba where he was essentially a peak-Tredrea/peak-Jenkins hybrid: 20/11/4 with a record number of score involvements.

Who needs one of those in this day and age?

Theoretically this is the moment the timeline diverges. F**ken so pissed off still to this day
Only topped by Choco's 2004 trade / draft period with Carr's 'will he, won't he', missing out on Port boy Thompson and not trading Thurstans when he had his one time only inflated value. <breath> <breath> <You don't want a stroke>

Only topped by Choco's 2004 trade / draft period with Carr's 'will he, won't he', missing out on Port boy Thompson and not trading Thurstans when he had his one time only inflated value. <breath> <breath> <You don't want a stroke>

You wouldn’t mind so much if in the end we couldn’t satisfy Melbourne anyway - ie, the Crows abortive attempt to enter the Polec stakes by shipping Vince - but the first rounder we eventually got for Josh (#11) was one slot ahead of the pick the Crows gave up for ST (#12).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back