Let's talk Ports! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just wanted to pay tribute to the Port boys who came down to take training at my son's footy club last night.

Hayes, Broadbent, SPP, Duursma, Trengove and the great Russell Ebert were down there and the boys were absolutely fantastic.

I would like to pay special tribute to Sam Hayes who was wonderful with my 4 year old son (who was clearly too young to participate in the majority of the drills). He kept him included, was super encouraging and very patient with the little fella.

Also;

SPP - Fantastic bloke who whilst signing the usual posters stopped what he was doing and asked my boys if they wanted their guernseys signed. Didn't have to do that and it was a nice touch
Duursma - Great young intelligent bloke who was easy to talk to
Matt Broadbent - Walked around with a broad smile and was super friendly and helpful with everyone
R Ebert - Was hard to keep my s**t together when he was chatting away with my 4 year old and remembered his name at the end of the session. Every bit of a legend in real life as you would imagine.

These blokes were/are a credit to their club
Sometimes making the community proud matters.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
On Triple J news this morning when they were talking about Erin Phillips, they mentioned the fact that her father Greg was an 8x premiership player with Port Adelaide.
Erin Phillips will come back home, and it will be awesome.

This film should be interesting when it comes out

Looks like based on a timely topic. The Royal Commission into Aged Care was taking public hearings in Adelaide around the time the story was written in the' Tsier on 5 March.

https://outline.com/j96MwJ
A warm-hearted comedy shooting in Adelaide this month will bring together stellar Australian performers Jacki Weaver and Jack Thompson with the star of the 1980s British hit series Minder, Dennis Waterman.

Called Never Too Late, the all-star cast also features Oscar-nominated US actor James Cromwell, best known as the farmer in Babe, Shane Jacobson from Kenny, and Roy Billing from Underbelly: A Tale of Two Cities.

Produced by Antony Ginnane, who has made seven movies in South Australia, the story is based on four Vietnam War heroes who break out from the nursing home from hell, The Hogan Hills Retirement Home for Returned Veterans.

Not based on any of your old Vietnam Vet mates Lockhart Road? Maybe they have have got Mick, John and others as extras as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Produced by Antony Ginnane, who has made seven movies in South Australia, the story is based on four Vietnam War heroes who break out from the nursing home from hell, The Hogan Hills Retirement Home for Returned Veterans.

Not based on any of your old Vietnam Vet mates Lockhart Road? Maybe they have have got Mick, John and others as extras as well.
My guess is that it’s set in the near future, with all of my split personalities as the four escapees.

Sep 24, 2008
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
La lakers. Oakland Raiders, bunny’s
78834594-570F-463A-8E74-16171CF01E08.jpeg
Who are these old boys.

Just wanted to pay tribute to the Port boys who came down to take training at my son's footy club last night.

Hayes, Broadbent, SPP, Duursma, Trengove and the great Russell Ebert were down there and the boys were absolutely fantastic.

I would like to pay special tribute to Sam Hayes who was wonderful with my 4 year old son (who was clearly too young to participate in the majority of the drills). He kept him included, was super encouraging and very patient with the little fella.

Also;

SPP - Fantastic bloke who whilst signing the usual posters stopped what he was doing and asked my boys if they wanted their guernseys signed. Didn't have to do that and it was a nice touch
Duursma - Great young intelligent bloke who was easy to talk to
Matt Broadbent - Walked around with a broad smile and was super friendly and helpful with everyone
R Ebert - Was hard to keep my s**t together when he was chatting away with my 4 year old and remembered his name at the end of the session. Every bit of a legend in real life as you would imagine.

These blokes were/are a credit to their club

Now imagine if Troy Olsen was there...

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

John Abley on the left and Ian Hannaford.

I had the pleasure of watching both for a fair amount of their time at Port. Abley a dour no nonsense fullback and Hannaford a great CHF who at times had a stint in the ruck. Both absolute champions of the PAFC.Ian's younger brother Don played a few games as a right half back flanker.

Totally useless information, Ian designed the fountain in the middle of the Rundle Mall and Gawler Place intersection.

Last edited:
John Abley on the left and Ian Hannaford.

I had the pleasure of watching both for a fair amount of their time at Port. Abley a dour no nonsense fullback and Hannaford a great CHF who at times had a stint in the ruck. Both absolute champions of the PAFC.Ian's younger brother Don played a few games as a right half back flanker.

Totally useless information, Ian designed the fountain in the middle of the Rundle Mall and Gawler Place intersection.

Where would you place Abley in the pantheon of all-time greats? His resume is incredible.

To be named as SA’s sole All-Australian after the 1958 Carnival - despite being belted by Victoria by 100+ and even losing to Tasmania - says a fair bit beyond his glittering career at Alberton.

NoddyHolder

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2014
Tralfamadore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Where would you place Abley in the pantheon of all-time greats? His resume is incredible.

To be named as SA’s sole All-Australian after the 1958 Carnival - despite being belted by Victoria by 100+ and even losing to Tasmania - says a fair bit beyond his glittering career at Alberton.
three time all Australian in an era when the opportunity to earn a spot only came around every three years or so is a pretty amazing achievement

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Tribey, I think the fact Abley played against the best and beat the best throughout Australia places him in the top five or so. John never appeared ruffled or out of position. An understated player but never ever can John Abley be underrated.

On SM-T385 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Magpiespower

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan
Dec 16, 2004
Salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
F@%k yo’ selection night melts, Ian Hannaford not making “The Greatest Team of the Greatest Club” is the worst selection blunder in our 149 year history, I’ll never end this rant, not ever, no way, nope...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back