Not open for further replies.

Magpiespower

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan
Dec 16, 2004
Salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just catching up with this thread. Must admit that Peckers team along with Westies 1983 are my 2 favourite Oppo teams of all time.

Westies '83 is probably my favourite team of all-time, lol.
Gawd, they were so good. Best (SANFL) one-hit wonder I've ever seen.
They were top late in '82 but then dropped five of their last six games.
Centrals beat Torrens by 20 goals in the last minor round game to pinch their finals spot.
Classic Westies, lmao...

If you put this in perspective though, this was Woodville's and it's supporters finest moment in their entire existence.

Back then, I had one perspective:

PORT RULES - Centrals/Glenelg/Norwood/North/South/Sturt/Torrens/West/Woodville SUCKS

Still, except for the 1st semi, I cheered my arse off for Woodville during the finals (just like pretty much the rest of the state.)
Stephen Nichols was a gun farken.
2.10 in the last quarter against Glenelg in the Prelim, ffs.
Probably would've rolled North in the granny...

Last edited:

Magpiespower

Cancelled
Dec 16, 2004
Salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was at woodville oval the day they beat Port by 6 points, I almost marked the footy when Bomber kicked out on the full on the wing.

Hell, I was there that day! Went with my old man and his mad Woodville mate. Cracked the sads that day, too.

"Calm down, it’s only a minor round game! You'd think you won the premiership! See how you go in the finals!"

Nek minnit:

Last edited:

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Leading teams lol. Just goes to show you can get paid to do anything these days so long as you can sell the illusion of value to some idiot with a budget.

The best get rich quick scheme I can think of is to start a leadership/teamwork consultancy company and get around running workshops for this exact reason.

Leading teams for our executive at this point in their tenure is laughable but at least I guess it's an acknowledgement that they have an enormous accountability problem that is holding the club back from any sort of success.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
The best get rich quick scheme I can think of is to start a leadership/teamwork consultancy company and get around running workshops for this exact reason.

Leading teams for our executive at this point in their tenure is laughable but at least I guess it's an acknowledgement that they have an enormous accountability problem that is holding the club back from any sort of success.
Brian Cunningham does executive coaching. Perhaps they should get him back instead.

Westies '83 is probably my favourite team of all-time, lol.
Gawd, they were so good. Best (SANFL) one-hit wonder I've ever seen.
They were top late in '82 but then dropped five of their last six games.
Centrals beat Torrens by 20 goals in the last minor round game to pinch their finals spot.
Classic Westies, lmao...

Doug Thomas used to recruit every fringe Victorian player he could get his hands on and finally turned out a few good ones that year - I remember Dreher, Borchard, Watson and Peter Meuret who was poached from Woodville via Broken Hill.

Whenever anyone had a dig about all his Victorian recruits he used to thunder 'Our recruiting zone includes Adelaide airport, the West Terrace Cemetery and Marineland! How many recruits do you think we'll get from them?'

Alberton Proud

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2012
Beachside
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Doug Thomas used to recruit every fringe Victorian player he could get his hands on and finally turned out a few good ones that year - I remember Dreher, Borchard, Watson and Peter Meuret who was poached from Woodville via Broken Hill.

Whenever anyone had a dig about all his Victorian recruits he used to thunder 'Our recruiting zone includes Adelaide airport, the West Terrace Cemetery and Marineland! How many recruits do you think we'll get from them?'

Davey Jones and Mr Percival !

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
The Victorian recruits would have come from the airport, so probably quite a few.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you mean? They are going to get Ray Mclean and his guys in and get the executives to go thru their program, get some kid in membership to tell KT what he has to do better?

i found out our old mate David Arnfield is the facilitator, obviously working with LT now, this could have some substance, be more than a token shake-up, we hope

i found out our old mate David Arnfield is the facilitator, obviously working with LT now, this could have some substance, be more than a token shake-up, we hope
So they are coming in to fire up the executives in general management, or the executives in the football department, or the players, or everyone????

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Very much on his last legs old Doug Thomas. Know a guy that helps him out a bit and yeah, he won't be around much longer.

So they are coming in to fire up the executives in general management, or the executives in the football department, or the players, or everyone????

i don't think it's players just "executive team" not sure which executives in particular

Very much on his last legs old Doug Thomas. Know a guy that helps him out a bit and yeah, he won't be around much longer.

He is a great character. The old footy show days were great entertainment with the likes of him, Neil Kerley, Gary Window, Wally May etc. At least they treated KG like an idiot umpire. Not so much Wally, he was too much of a gentleman in the studio.

Presented without comment
images - 2019-06-06T124748.746.jpeg

70sDinosaur

Premiership Player
May 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I think Craig Williams was another one that year?

When I began my working life in 1983 I was working with him. It amused me how he'd sit at his desk all day chain smoking.

He took time off work during the finals that year and I was constantly fielding phone calls for him from journos looking for a story.

Magpiespower

Cancelled
Dec 16, 2004
Salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think Craig Williams was another one that year?

When I began my working life in 1983 I was working with him. It amused me how he'd sit at his desk all day chain smoking.

He took time off work during the finals that year and I was constantly fielding phone calls for him from journos looking for a story.

All-Australian that year. A few Westies blokes had career bests in ‘83. Linder & Luders were two more that come to mind.

Such a potent forward line - they kicked ‘em from everywhere, fmd.

Dat game at Richmond when they came from the clouds in the last ten minutes to beat us by one point and effectively end our season.

Poor ol’ Dexter Kennedy. Moves to Alberton the year Westies break their 22-year premiership drought. Stars in the ‘84 finals but... f@%k.

Also Mark Mickan. Played every game that year but missed the finals thru injury. Dirk de Jong answers Kerls’ SOS call, plays two games and jags a flag.

Fos didn’t mind a country call-up during the finals, either...

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Googling Wally May gives up some interesting image results. Some stuff Shower Fapper may be interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back